What causes the mysterious physical action experienced by canoers and kayakers?

• Thread starter EricL
  • Start date
In summary, the mysterious physical action experienced by canoers and kayakers, known as the "canoeing effect," is caused by the interaction between the paddler's body and the water. This interaction creates a complex system of forces and movements that can be difficult to predict and control. Factors such as water flow, paddle placement, and body position all play a role in this phenomenon. Additionally, the shape and design of the watercraft can also impact the canoeing effect. Overall, the combination of these factors can result in unexpected movements and challenges for paddlers.
EricL
Okay, it's only good form to post something here, so here goes.

I joined the site on a whim, simply to see if I could get any ideas about how to explain a certain type of physical action that canoers and kayakers commonly experience (which virtually none of them understand), and I got some good replies.

As for myself, I'm no physicist. My education is within the field of biology and my work involves the fieldwork aspect of soils engineering (there's no actual engineering processes involved with what I do, but common sense sure helps a bunch), but I dare say I do have a knack for mentally visualizing the principles behind forces and motion, so some of the really basic stuff that goes on here might interest me as time goes on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Eric!