What causes gravity and how does it impact us on Earth?

• Thread starter Brooksie
  • Start date
In summary, gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to attract each other. It is believed to be caused by the curvature of spacetime by massive objects such as planets and stars. On Earth, gravity is responsible for keeping us grounded and also plays a crucial role in the motion of celestial bodies, tides, and the structure of the universe. It is a constant force that impacts our daily lives in countless ways, from keeping our feet on the ground to allowing us to live on this planet.
Brooksie
How did you find PF?
Google
Hello
I passed O level Physics in 1983 and loved it but went down the arts route. Over the last 5 years or so I re-kindled my interest and have been reading a lot e.g. Hawkings, Al Khalili, Rovelli etc. I am still struggling with various things that relativity throws up. For example I understand that gravity is not actually a force of attraction and that a body's natural state is to fall unless a force is exerted upon it (Newton - I understand this). Apparently therefore we are held on Earth not by the gravity pulling us down but by the Earth's thrust towards us. I understand that acceleration and gravity are interchangeable, however if I am being held down here in the UK because of the Earth's acceleration underneath me, how come someone on the other side of the Earth is also held here, should they not fly off? Is it some type of force of attraction also being in operation as well or the revolution of Earth holding everyone down?

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

This thread should be just a personal introduction. You'll need to ask your question in the relativity forum.

That said, all the sources you cite are popular science, from which it's not possible to learn physics as a coherent subject. Your post reveals a number of fundamental misconceptions that are almost inevitable if all you've read is popular science.

okay thank you, i shall find the relativity forum.

Likes berkeman