What causes a CD to appear to float on a glass surface?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of a CD appearing to float on a clean glass table due to the vacuum and trapped air between the two surfaces. The clear coating on the CD and the smooth surfaces of the glass and CD play a role in this effect.
loststylez
I know the question sounds a little bit noobish but If you place a CD on a clean glass table seems like the CD is floating. There's vacuum between the CD and the glass stopping you from picking it up yet the CD seems to be floating.
If not I would like to know what other forces could be acting there.

Physics news on Phys.org
loststylez said:
I know the question sounds a little bit noobish but If you place a CD on a clean glass table seems like the CD is floating. There's vacuum between the CD and the glass stopping you from picking it up yet the CD seems to be floating.
If not I would like to know what other forces could be acting there.

Er... you do know that there's a clear coating on the CD that separates the actual layer from air, don't you?

Zz.

I know (I'm a computer geek).. but how's that relevant to the question ?.. except for the fact that it's a near-perfect plane that could enforce my question.

There's vacuum between the CD and the glass stopping you from picking it up yet the CD seems to be floating.
If not I would like to know what other forces could be acting there

That's just air being caught between the smooth, very flat surfaces. Since the separation is narrow, the air can only escape (or enter) slowly, and the resulting pressure causes it to seem to float (or 'stick'). The air escapes after a few moments and the CD touches the glass.

Thanks, I guess I was thinking too far !

Related to What causes a CD to appear to float on a glass surface?

1. What is the CD on glass Casimir effect?

The CD on glass Casimir effect refers to the phenomenon where two parallel plates, one made of glass and the other of a conductive material (such as a CD), experience an attractive force due to the quantum fluctuations of the vacuum between them.

2. How does the CD on glass Casimir effect occur?

The CD on glass Casimir effect occurs due to the presence of virtual particles in the vacuum. These particles constantly appear and disappear, creating an energy density that causes the plates to be pushed together.

3. What is the significance of the CD on glass Casimir effect?

The CD on glass Casimir effect is significant because it provides evidence for the existence of virtual particles and the influence of quantum mechanics in the macroscopic world.

4. Is the CD on glass Casimir effect observable in everyday life?

No, the CD on glass Casimir effect is only observable at very small distances and requires precise measurements to detect. It is not noticeable in everyday life.

5. Are there any practical applications of the CD on glass Casimir effect?

Currently, there are no practical applications of the CD on glass Casimir effect. However, scientists are studying its potential use in nanotechnology and developing new materials with controlled Casimir forces for various applications.