What can I do with a physics degree?

In summary, the individual is considering dropping out of engineering to pursue a double major in honours physics and pure math. Their main concern is whether they can find a career that utilizes advanced math and physics and provides enough income to avoid financial stress. They also ask about the importance of having a PhD in physics. The conversation also includes advice about understanding the reality of pursuing a degree in physics and the potential for job satisfaction and financial stability in this field.
thegreenlaser
I'm sure this question has been asked a lot, but it's a fairly big concern of mine. I just finished a semester of engineering at the university of calgary, (about to start my second) and while I like it and I'm doing well at it, I really think that my passion lies in pure science, specifically physics and math. At this point I'm considering dropping out of engineering and going into a double major with honours physics and pure math, starting fall 2011.

My main concern is this: Say I get a double degree in honours physics and pure math. 1. If I go straight into working, can I get a career that will allow me to use advanced math and physics and that will pay enough that I won't be under constant financial stress? (I don't really care about being rich. I'm far more concerned about job satisfaction and having enough money to live off of) 2. Same question, except assuming that I manage to get a PhD in physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to put my 2 cents in, unless you are uneducated, people under financial stress are never in that position because of how much money they make or don't make. It's because of personal choices and financial know-how. It's very hard to find a job that pays $30,000 a year that forces you into a standard of living that costs $50,000 a year.

thegreenlaser said:
I'm sure this question has been asked a lot, but it's a fairly big concern of mine. I just finished a semester of engineering at the university of calgary, (about to start my second) and while I like it and I'm doing well at it, I really think that my passion lies in pure science, specifically physics and math. At this point I'm considering dropping out of engineering and going into a double major with honours physics and pure math, starting fall 2011.

My main concern is this: Say I get a double degree in honours physics and pure math. 1. If I go straight into working, can I get a career that will allow me to use advanced math and physics and that will pay enough that I won't be under constant financial stress? (I don't really care about being rich. I'm far more concerned about job satisfaction and having enough money to live off of) 2. Same question, except assuming that I manage to get a PhD in physics.

Just curious, why pure math? Have you taken any pure math courses (higher level) or have you read anything that covers what pure mathematicians do?

The reason I ask is that for physics you already learn a lot of math anyway, but not only that you get to apply it. Maybe working in some esoteric field of geometry might be your thing, but its a world away from applied fields like physics, statistics, modelling, and engineering.

chiro said:
Just curious, why pure math? Have you taken any pure math courses (higher level) or have you read anything that covers what pure mathematicians do?

i.e. you might want to look at applied math instead.

Pure mathematics is about investigating mathematics. Applied math is about using math as a tool and would be useful for physics - but certainly not essential, you'll learn all of the base math you need in a physics degree.

thegreenlaser said:
1. If I go straight into working, can I get a career that will allow me to use advanced math and physics and that will pay enough that I won't be under constant financial stress? (I don't really care about being rich. I'm far more concerned about job satisfaction and having enough money to live off of)

Financial stress is really not that much a function of how much money you make. If you make X, there is going to me a huge amount of pressure to spend X + 20%, and that quickly will get you into trouble. If you want to avoid financial stress, reading up on personal finance is going to help you a lot more than what degree that you get.

Also, I've found that getting a math and physics degree does help avoid financial stress in interesting way. If you are with a group of people in which to be "cool" means having a bigger house and more expensive car, you are going to find that expensive. If you are with a group of people in which to be "cool" means being able to do more math and write more original papers, that's not that expensive.

2. Same question, except assuming that I manage to get a PhD in physics.

One of the more useful things that you will learn as a graduate student is how to enjoy life while making only $20K/year.

Well, this is interesting. I'm actually a UofC student myself. Last year I was in the physics program, and now I'm taking first year engineering courses at MRU with permission to then transfer into 2nd year at Schulich (UofC's engineering faculty) next term.

From my experience, my best advice is that you make sure you understand what it means to get a degree in physics, and not have romanticized expectations. While I enjoyed that first year, after reading and talking to various people I figured I wasn't that interested in studying advanced physics. Make sure you do this, of course, before you drop out of engineering.

thegreenlaser said:

Yes to both, although it's probably easier if you go with #2.

Thanks for all the replies.

chiro said:

The reason I ask is that for physics you already learn a lot of math anyway, but not only that you get to apply it. Maybe working in some esoteric field of geometry might be your thing, but its a world away from applied fields like physics, statistics, modelling, and engineering.

I'm saying pure math at this point because I really enjoyed the taste I got of it from my pure-math-oriented linear algebra course and the chats I had with that professor. I don't know if I could do pure math as a career, but it's at least quite interesting to me. I've also been told by a couple advisers that a lot of the material covered in pure math is still useful/applicable at the undergraduate level to something like physics. I may have to look into applied math as an option. At this point for me the far bigger decision is engineering vs physics.

Well, this is interesting. I'm actually a UofC student myself. Last year I was in the physics program, and now I'm taking first year engineering courses at MRU with permission to then transfer into 2nd year at Schulich (UofC's engineering faculty) next term.

From my experience, my best advice is that you make sure you understand what it means to get a degree in physics, and not have romanticized expectations. While I enjoyed that first year, after reading and talking to various people I figured I wasn't that interested in studying advanced physics. Make sure you do this, of course, before you drop out of engineering.
Interesting. May I ask what specifically turned you off of physics? I kind of feel the same way you described, except towards engineering. Having looked at the 3rd and 4th year engineering courses, I just can't really get excited by many of the course descriptions. Most of the ones that sound interesting to me have to do with pure science. Especially when I talk to students farther along in the engineering program, the stuff they do just doesn't sound all that interesting to me. I mean yeah, designing a car sounds awesome, but the closer I look at the specifics involved, the less interesting to me. I imagined engineers to have a deep, intricate understanding of advanced physics and math, which they then applied to solve real-world problems. It seems more that they learn just as much as they need to about theory, and then apply it. While I don't hate it, I just find myself much more drawn to the more theory-based courses, and the application of theory itself is less interesting to me.

So I'm curious, what places did you look to find out that you weren't as interested in physics as you thought? I pretty much have this semester to decide, so I plan to do as much research as possible.

Related to What can I do with a physics degree?

1. What job opportunities are available with a physics degree?

A physics degree can open up a wide range of career opportunities in both academic and industrial settings. Some common job titles for physics graduates include research scientist, engineer, data analyst, and teacher. Physics graduates are also highly sought after in fields such as finance, consulting, and technology.

2. Can I work in a different field with a physics degree?

Yes, a physics degree provides you with a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis skills that can be applied to a variety of industries. Many physics graduates go on to work in fields such as finance, healthcare, and even law.

3. Is a physics degree only useful for those pursuing a career in research?

No, a physics degree is not limited to research careers. While research is a common path for physics graduates, the skills and knowledge gained from a physics degree can also be applied to a variety of other careers such as engineering, data analysis, and education.

4. What skills do I need to succeed with a physics degree?

To excel in a physics degree, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics and an aptitude for problem-solving. Additionally, critical thinking, attention to detail, and strong analytical skills are essential for success in physics. Having good communication and teamwork skills can also be beneficial in many career paths.

5. What is the average salary for someone with a physics degree?

The average salary for someone with a physics degree can vary depending on the specific job and industry. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers was $122,220 in May 2020. Many careers in physics also offer opportunities for advancement and higher salaries as you gain experience and expertise in the field.