What can I do in the physics field with a physics degree specializing

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of pursuing a career in geology with a physics degree. The speaker is considering a physics degree with an emphasis in Earth science as a viable path towards entering the geology field, particularly in the oil and gas industry. They have completed their lower division math and physics prerequisites and are open to pursuing either academia or engineering. The conversation also touches on the preference for physics majors in geophysics grad programs, with some mentioning that it may be easier to pick up the geology aspect later on. The consensus is that grad schools and employers tend to be more interested in the individual's skills and interests rather than the specific degree title.
phazon100
That's what's called, according to the UCSD catalog, a physics degree with an emphasis in Earth science. I want to enter the geology field, but my school doesn't offer a true geology (or geophysics) major, so I'm thinking a physics degree is a viable path towards entering that field.

What kind of job opportunities are out there ? I'm trying to do some research on potential opportunities, so any feedback from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Ideally, I'd like to get into oil and gas. How do employers see a potential candidate with that type of physics degree, knowing that it's effectively a physics degree with some Earth science classes.

As of right now, I have all my lower division math and physics prerequisites completed.

(side-note: engineering is out of the question for undergrad. )

Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Just because it isn't called "geophysics" don't mean you cannot study it - so the workaround is probably OK.
I shared an office with a guy doing just that and he spent his time, post-grad, studying rainfall.
One of my thesis options as a postgrad was modelling Martian weather.

Environmental science on the whole has been something of a growth industry but there is a lot of competition - you have to be pro-active about getting a position. Don't expect anything before grad school.

The other direction for your interest is engineering.
What was it about geology that appealed to you?

I am also a physics major (Geo minor) interested in geophysics. Though I hope to stay in academia. From what I've heard, grad schools often prefer physics majors over geology/geophysics majors due to the heavier quantitative background. The geology part is easier to pick up.

I don't think the same holds true for employers, at least at the BS level. I think you probably need at least a masters in geophysics. I met someone last summer with a BS physics, MS geophysics working for noble energy doing surveying. On the other hand, my advisor did his PhD in physics studying seismology and also ended up working for an oil company for several years. I guess there are different avenues that get you to the same place.

If you're interested in oil and gas, seismology is the way to go. I did an REU last summer called IRIS that would be worth checking out.
http://www.iris.edu/hq/internship/

From what I've heard, grad schools often prefer physics majors over geology/geophysics majors due to the heavier quantitative background.
It will depend on the grad school - I'm in the wrong country to comment.
In NZ grad schools tend to have more geophysics paces than straight physics - there's a skew here towards environmental sciences.

Simon Bridge said:
It will depend on the grad school - I'm in the wrong country to comment.
In NZ grad schools tend to have more geophysics paces than straight physics - there's a skew here towards environmental sciences.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was meaning. I was referring to geophysics grad programs actually. I've heard they often prefer physics majors vs geology.

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards majoring in physics. But just recently, I took an introductory geology course, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I asked because my school doesn't offer my major, so I was a little concerned here.

Another quick question: do grad schools care if it's a regular physics degree, or a physics degree with an emphasis on a certain subject.

jbrussell93 said:
I think you may have misunderstood what I was meaning. I was referring to geophysics grad programs actually. I've heard they often prefer physics majors vs geology.
Oh right - yeah that's pretty much the same down here too.

...do grad schools care if it's a regular physics degree, or a physics degree with an emphasis on a certain subject.
Depends on the grad school.
Usually they will take whoever is interested in the field and can convince a supervisor they should be allowed to do it.

Related to What can I do in the physics field with a physics degree specializing

1. What career options are available with a physics degree specializing in a specific field?

With a physics degree specializing in a specific field, such as astrophysics or quantum mechanics, you can pursue a career as a research scientist, data analyst, engineer, or educator. You can also work in industries such as aerospace, energy, or technology.

2. Can I work in the medical field with a physics degree?

Yes, there are several ways to work in the medical field with a physics degree. You can become a medical physicist, who uses physics principles to develop and maintain medical equipment. You can also work in medical research, developing new technologies and treatments.

3. What skills will I gain with a physics degree that can be applied in other industries?

A physics degree provides you with a strong foundation in analytical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis. These skills are highly sought after in industries such as finance, consulting, and computer science. Additionally, your ability to understand and apply complex concepts will be valuable in any field.

4. Are there opportunities for entrepreneurship with a physics degree?

Yes, there are opportunities for entrepreneurship with a physics degree. With a strong understanding of scientific principles and critical thinking skills, you can develop innovative products and technologies. You can also use your knowledge to consult for businesses in various industries.

5. Can I work in a different field than my specialization with a physics degree?

Yes, a physics degree provides you with a broad range of skills that can be applied in various fields. While your specialization may be in a specific area, you can still work in a different field by utilizing your analytical and problem-solving abilities. Many employers value the critical thinking skills that come with a physics degree, regardless of the specific field of study.