What can a minor in astronomy get you?

In summary, the speaker is a mechanical engineering student who is passionate about astrophysics, astronomy, and cosmology but did not pursue a degree in it due to concerns about job security. They are considering applying for a minor in astronomy and wondering if it would allow them to apply for graduate astrophysics programs. They are also planning on going to medical school but would consider the astrophysics route if possible. They are willing to pursue the minor for personal satisfaction and growth, but may not be fully prepared for graduate school in astrophysics without additional coursework in electromagnetism, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics.
~Olivia~
I am a mechanical engineering student but my passion has always been astrophysics, astronomy, and cosmology (I literally get butterflies when I learn about it). I chose not to get a degree in it because I was concerned about future job security as it is an extremely competitive field. My school offers a minor in astronomy and I am considering applying for that.

I was wondering what the minor could get me. Would it allow me to apply for graduate astrophysics programs? I am planning on going to medical school once I graduate (I was in a pre-medical program but transferred out as it was very underdeveloped) but if it was possible for me to get into a astrophysics program I would seriously consider that route.

Even if the minor would not really "get" me anything I would still try to earn it for personally satisfaction/growth.

I would really appreciate any further advice you guys could give me. I am so confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably nothing. You won't be prepared for grad school in astrophysics unless you have two semester upper division sequences in electromagnetism, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics.

Related to What can a minor in astronomy get you?

1. What career opportunities are available with a minor in astronomy?

A minor in astronomy can open up various career opportunities in the fields of research, education, and industry. Some potential job titles include research assistant, science educator, science journalist, and data analyst.

2. Can a minor in astronomy be combined with other majors?

Yes, a minor in astronomy can be combined with other majors, such as physics, mathematics, computer science, or engineering. This can provide a strong foundation for careers in space technology, astrophysics, or data science.

3. What skills will I gain from a minor in astronomy?

A minor in astronomy can help develop skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication. Additionally, students will gain knowledge of celestial objects, space exploration, and scientific methods.

4. Is a minor in astronomy beneficial for non-science majors?

Yes, a minor in astronomy can be beneficial for non-science majors as it can provide a well-rounded education and enhance critical thinking and analytical skills. It can also be a valuable addition to fields such as history, philosophy, or art, where understanding of astronomy can be relevant.

5. Are there any research opportunities for students with a minor in astronomy?

Yes, students with a minor in astronomy can participate in research projects and gain hands-on experience working with telescopes, data analysis software, and other tools used in the field. This can be beneficial for those pursuing graduate studies or careers in research.