What basic skills do I need to work on for a career in space-related fields?

In summary, the speaker has recently left their job in the field of information technology and has become increasingly interested in space-related areas. They are now focusing on studying mathematics to pursue a career in astronomy, but are looking for a forum or tutor to help with any basic mathematics questions they may have. They have found support on this forum and are grateful for the warm welcome.
Iccanui
Hi my name is Daryll or Iccanui, whatever you guys want to call me. Thank you in advance for your time in reading this.

Just a quick summary of what my story is so you know where I'm coming from.

I've worked in the field of information technology for about 15 years ( 37 now ). Mostly repairing computers building computers, nothing too serious. Recently the job i was working at went down hill enough that i decided it was best to leave. For a long time i was not very happy there, basically because as much as i liked building PC's and Networking, actually working in it was not exciting or rewarding and going through my Microsoft Certs was ... well not super exciting work.

Anyway. Little by little over the last few years i have been leaning to space related areas. I wanted to be a astronaut when i was a kid, but when i heard 6 years of collage was what i had to look forward too, i didnt believe i had it in me to even try. We can talk about my family and their lack of support and skills at mocking things they can't understand later.

So fast forward to this year. I am really excited about what's going on. Between listening to Neil Degrasse Tyson, seeing Bill Nye coming back, discovering NASATV, getting hooked on the MSL 7 minutes of terror and the lead up to the landing, as well as the landing, SpaceX and the commercialization of space travel, etc, i think i know where i want to work, study, learn for the rest of my life. Nothing excites me like the fields of STEM. I wish i had this outlook when i was a kid.

So on to my questions

First.

What basic skills do i need to work on as i work my way up the ladder. There is a lot of paths i would like to go and i figure as i get up the ladder more, which path will be more clear. Astro-Physics sounds mind blowing, well that and i guess Neil is a amazing orator. But other areas like Astro/Aeronautical Engineering sound fun. Even Astro biology and Astronomy, Robotics. So many things i have found that i can't even think of them all right now.

Ive decided to take on Mathematics at the moment. I went all the way back to the first lessons on Khan Academy which is Arithmetic and am trying to work my way up to algebra so i can take community collage courses and coursera courses. Aiming for Astronomy on coursera which starts at the end of November.

So as I am going through Khan Academy, the problem I am having at Khan is that there is no interaction. There is certain things that would be simple to anyone here I am sure, like factors, LCM's and stuff, that as I am learning would really help if i could talk to people. So does anyone know where i could go to talk about that kind of stuff? Would anyone here mind if i asked about such low level stuff ? If so, is there a good math forum or tutor type thing anyone can direct me too ?

I am really trying to change my destiny here. And i figure if i take it step by step, i can.
Thank you so much again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this forum has a section dedicated to answering homework questions and such. Beyond that, the entire forum is geared towards helping students learn, so you have come to the right place.

Iccanui said:
What basic skills do i need to work on as i work my way up the ladder. There is a lot of paths i would like to go and i figure as i get up the ladder more, which path will be more clear. Astro-Physics sounds mind blowing, well that and i guess Neil is a amazing orator. But other areas like Astro/Aeronautical Engineering sound fun. Even Astro biology and Astronomy, Robotics. So many things i have found that i can't even think of them all right now.

No one can answer it better than the college/university where you wish to study the field. Find what prerequisites they need. Once you meet all those, enroll in the university and get started :smile:

I believe you wouldn't get to see the actual Astro-Physics or what you interested in right away in the university. You will do some basic elementary courses before you get to do some courses of interest.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I am now wondering where i should ask my questions at, which forum. Its pre-algabra so i don't want to bother anyone with some really basic things that they don't care to see/For example, the question i have right now is a method for simply finding a composite number.

<< question moved >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Iccanui said:
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I am now wondering where i should ask my questions at, which forum. Its pre-algabra so i don't want to bother anyone with some really basic things that they don't care to see/

For example, the question i have right now is a method for simply finding a composite number.

That is an appropriate topic for our General Math forum. I've moved your question and its responses there, into a new thread with a suitable title:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=629796

Related to What basic skills do I need to work on for a career in space-related fields?

What is the appropriate way to greet someone?

The most common way to greet someone is by saying "hello" or "hi" followed by the person's name. It's also polite to ask how the person is doing or to simply say "how are you?"

When is it appropriate to seek advice from someone?

It is appropriate to seek advice from someone when you are facing a problem or situation that you need help with. It's important to choose someone who you trust and who has knowledge or experience in the area you need advice in.

How can I respectfully give advice to someone?

It's important to first ask the person if they would like your advice. If they say yes, listen to their problem and offer your advice in a non-judgmental and respectful manner. Be sure to also acknowledge their feelings and perspectives.

What should I do if I don't agree with the advice someone gives me?

If you don't agree with the advice someone gives you, it's important to respectfully thank them for their input and explain why their advice may not work for you. It's also okay to seek advice from multiple sources and make your own decision.

How can I show appreciation for someone's advice?

You can show appreciation for someone's advice by thanking them and letting them know how their advice helped you. It's also nice to offer to help them in return or to simply show your gratitude through a kind gesture or words.