What are the ups and downs of these two degrees

In summary, the decision between pursuing a mechanical engineering and physics double major with a masters in nuclear physics or engineering, and just getting a physics degree with a masters in nuclear physics/engineering, depends on the specific career in the nuclear field that the individual is interested in. It may be possible to make this decision at a later time when applying for a masters/PhD program.
mike232
I am looking to do something in the nuclear field. I can get a mechanical engineering and physics double major then get a masters in nuclear physics or nuclear engineering, or should I just get the physics degree and masters in Nuclear physics/engineering?

I'm currently at a branch college where I can not pursue nuclear engineering BS, but main campus has ask the way through nuclear phd and I can't justify transfering in my BS.

Thanks for any input

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on the kind of "something" you want to do in nuclear. There are some jobs you'll only get with a PhD in nuclear physics, and some you'll only get with a degree in nuclear engineering, and some still you'll need a mechanical engineering/chemical engineering degree for, etc. etc.

However, I doubt you need to make up your mind now. If you can get into the masters/PhD program of your choice with either a eng/physics double major or a physics degree, then the choice is a bit moot - pick whichever one interests you the most.

Likes mike232

Related to What are the ups and downs of these two degrees

What are the ups and downs of these two degrees?

There are several factors to consider when comparing two degrees. Some of the most frequently asked questions include:

1. What are the job prospects for each degree?

The job prospects for each degree may vary depending on the field of study and the current job market. It is important to research the demand for both degrees and the types of jobs that each degree can lead to.

2. How long does it take to complete each degree?

The length of time to complete a degree can vary depending on the program and the individual student's pace. Generally, a bachelor's degree takes 4 years to complete, while a master's degree can take an additional 1-3 years.

3. What is the cost of each degree?

The cost of a degree can vary greatly depending on the institution, location, and program. In general, a master's degree tends to be more expensive than a bachelor's degree. It is important to consider the potential return on investment when evaluating the cost of a degree.

4. What skills and knowledge will I gain from each degree?

Both a bachelor's and a master's degree can provide valuable skills and knowledge. A bachelor's degree typically provides a broad foundation in a specific field, while a master's degree allows for more specialized and in-depth study.

5. Which degree is better for career advancement?

This can vary depending on the industry and specific job opportunities. In some fields, a bachelor's degree may be sufficient for career advancement, while in others a master's degree may be preferred. It is important to research the specific job market and career paths in your field of interest.