What Are the Spectator Ions in This Chemical Reaction?

• Thread starter carlodelmundo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ions
In summary: I completely understand. I hate questions that are based on nonexisting chemistry, they only create confusion.
carlodelmundo

Homework Statement

2KMnO4 (aq) + 10FeSO4 + 8H2SO4 -->

K2SO4 (aq) + 2MnO4 (aq) + 5Fe2SO4 (aq) + 8H2O (aq)

Homework Equations

Spectator ions don't participate in the reaction.

The Attempt at a Solution

What gives? Is my professor bent on making our lives miserable? The answer for the above is: the spectator ions are K+ and SO4.

I understand spectator ions don't participate in the reaction... but what's so divinely different between K+ and SO4 that isn't happening in the other ions? There are two Sulfate ions in the productsby the way which adds to my confusion...

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all - write everything in dissociated form. It is not called "net ionic" for fun :wink:

--

Here are the spectator ions:

2K+ + 2MnO4- + 10 Fe2+ + 10SO42-

yields:

2K+ + SO42- + 2MnO4 + 10Fe1+ + 5SO42- + 8H2O

Hmm. Interesting that I found the net ionic equation. The only ions I see that are the same are the K+ and SO42- ions. The manganate ion, 2MnO4- doesn't count because the product MnO4 is not an ion correct?

And same for the ion right? It's not a spectator ion because one is of +2 charge and the other of +1 charge?

Where did you get the original equation from? I must admit I have not taken a closer look before, now that I did rest of the hair on my head rasied up.

But your analysis seems to be OK, only K+ and SO42- remain unchanged after the reaction.

--

The original equation was pulled from an old exam of my undergrad chemistry professor. It was a little weird, so it was worth discussing.

Thank you for your analysis and general helpfulness Borek. This question was a bit weird!

carlodelmundo said:
It was a little weird, so it was worth discussing.

To be honest I hate questions that are based on nonexisting chemistry, they only create confusion.

--

Spectator ions, in the context of chemistry and chemical reactions, are ions that do not participate in the chemical reaction. Instead, they remain in solution as either reactants or products, depending on whether they were part of the initial reactants or formed as products during the reaction. Spectator ions are not involved in the actual chemical transformation and do not change their chemical form. Their primary role is to maintain charge neutrality in the solution.

Here's an example to illustrate spectator ions:

Suppose you have a reaction between aqueous solutions of silver nitrate (AgNO3) and sodium chloride (NaCl) to form silver chloride (AgCl) as a precipitate:

Ag⁺(aq) + NO₃⁻(aq) + Na⁺(aq) + Cl⁻(aq) → AgCl(s) + Na⁺(aq) + NO₃⁻(aq)

In this reaction:

• Ag⁺ and NO₃⁻ ions from silver nitrate (AgNO3) are involved in forming AgCl, so they are not spectator ions.
  • Na⁺ and Cl⁻ ions from sodium chloride (NaCl) don't change their chemical form during the reaction. They are just "spectators" in the sense that they are present but don't participate in the formation of the AgCl precipitate.
Spectator ions are important to consider in ionic reactions because they help ensure that the overall charge remains balanced in the reaction mixture. While spectator ions don't directly impact the reaction's outcome, they are crucial for maintaining charge neutrality and the ionic balance of the solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Are the Spectator Ions in This Chemical Reaction?

1. What are spectator ions?

Spectator ions are ions that do not participate in a chemical reaction and remain unchanged before and after the reaction takes place. They are usually found in solutions and do not contribute to the overall outcome of the reaction.

2. How do I identify spectator ions?

To identify spectator ions, you need to write out the chemical equation for the reaction and then determine which ions are present on both sides of the equation. These ions are the spectator ions. The remaining ions are the ones that participate in the reaction.

3. Why is it important to identify spectator ions?

Identifying spectator ions is important because it helps to simplify and better understand the reaction. It also allows for the calculation of the net ionic equation, which only includes the ions that participate in the reaction and eliminates the spectator ions.

4. Can spectator ions influence the outcome of a reaction?

No, spectator ions do not influence the outcome of a reaction as they do not participate in the reaction. They only serve as part of the reaction environment and do not undergo any chemical changes.

5. Can spectator ions be different for the same reaction in different environments?

Yes, spectator ions can vary in different environments. The ions that are spectators in one reaction may participate in a different reaction in a different environment. It is important to identify spectator ions for each specific reaction and environment.