Reaction of acetic acid (CH3COOH) with potassium hydroxide (KOH)

In summary, the solution to this problem is to write the ionic and net ionic equations for the reaction between CH3COOH and KOH. The molecular equation is CH3COOH (aq)+ KOH (aq) → CH3COOK (aq) + H2O (l). The ionic equation is CH3COOH (aq) + K+ (aq) + OH- (aq) → CH3COO- + K+ + H2O (l), and the net ionic equation is CH3COO- (aq) + H+ (aq) + OH- (aq) → CH3COO- + H2O (l). The reason why K+ and CH
TheAbsoluTurk

Homework Statement

Balance the following equation and write the corresponding
ionic and net ionic equation (if appropriate):

CH[itex]_{3}[/itex]COOH [itex]_{(aq)}[/itex]+ KOH [itex]_{(aq)}[/itex] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex]

Homework Equations

None as far as I know.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote:

CH[itex]_{3}[/itex]COOH [itex]_{(aq)}[/itex]+ KOH [itex]_{(aq)}[/itex] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] CH[itex]_{3}[/itex]COOK [itex]_{(aq)}[/itex] + H[itex]_{2}[/itex]O [itex]_{(l)}[/itex]

But this is the wrong answer.

I don't understand why K[itex]^{+}[/itex] does not form a compound with CH[itex]_{3}[/itex]COO[itex]^{-}[/itex]. Can anyone tell what concept or law/theorem controls what compounds form and what compounds do not form? Why is K[itex]^{+}[/itex] a spectator ion in this reaction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reaction equation is OK, it just doesn't answer the question - you were asked to write ionic and net ionic reactions. Which of the compounds present in the reaction will be fully dissociated?

Note: format indices in your formulae with [noparse] and [/noparse] tags, not with LaTeX. And state of matter should be normal text, on the same level as the formula (so dissolved potassium acetate is [noparse]CH3COOK(aq)[/noparse] - rendered as CH3COOK(aq)).

Borek said:
Your reaction equation is OK, it just doesn't answer the question - you were asked to write ionic and net ionic reactions. Which of the compounds present in the reaction will be fully dissociated?

Note: format indices in your formulae with [noparse] and [/noparse] tags, not with LaTeX. And state of matter should be normal text, on the same level as the formula (so dissolved potassium acetate is [noparse]CH3COOK(aq)[/noparse] - rendered as CH3COOK(aq)).

So my initial line of thinking was:

Molecular Equation:
CH3COOH (aq)+ KOH (aq) → CH3COOK (aq) + H2O (l)

Ionic Equation:

CH3COO- (aq) + H+ (aq) + K+ (aq) + OH- (aq) → CH3COO- + K+ + H2O (l)

Net Ionic Equation:

H+ (aq) + OH- (aq) → H2O (l)

This is incorrect.

But I reasoned that CH3COO- is a weak acid so all of the things in the textbook about not dissociating 100% must come into play here.

Therefore,

Molecular Equation:
CH3COOH (aq)+ KOH (aq) → CH3COOK (aq) + H2O (l)

Ionic Equation:

CH3COOH (aq) + K+ (aq) + OH- (aq) → CH3COO- +K+ + H2O (l)

Net Ionic Equation:

CH3COOH (aq) + OH- (aq) → CH3COO- + H2O (l)

That is correct according to the answers in the text.

How come CH3COO- and K+ do not form a compound though? Is there anyway to calculate or know why? Is it because CH3COOH is not dissociated 100% in solution? (it is a weak acid.)

Thanks for the help with writing the equations.

Last edited:
In the ionic equation, K+ and CH3COO- are dissociated because CH3COOK is a strong electrolyte. While CH3COOK is a weak acid so it doesn't dissociate 100%.

Is this correct. I'm surprised the text doesn't explain this. Borek, can you recommend any comprehensive, first year university chemistry textbooks?

TheAbsoluTurk said:
How come CH3COO- and K+ do not form a compound though?

Imagine a solution containing equal concentrations of CH3COO-, Cl-, K+ and Na+ - you can't tell what compounds it contains, there is more than one answer. So we don't name these compounds at all, it is safer to simply list ions.

Sorry, I can't be of much help when it comes to books - unless you are interested in Polish ones :wink: Chang and Pauling are usually praised as good titles.

Borek said:
Imagine a solution containing equal concentrations of CH3COO-, Cl-, K+ and Na+ - you can't tell what compounds it contains, there is more than one answer. So we don't name these compounds at all, it is safer to simply list ions.

Sorry, I can't be of much help when it comes to books - unless you are interested in Polish ones :wink: Chang and Pauling are usually praised as good titles.

So the explanation that "In the ionic equation, K+ and CH3COO- are dissociated because CH3COOK is a strong electrolyte. While CH3COOH is a weak acid so it doesn't dissociate 100%." is incorrect? Or it doesn't make sense?

I'm reading Chang right now actually.

TheAbsoluTurk said:
In the ionic equation, K+ and CH3COO- are dissociated because CH3COOK is a strong electrolyte. While CH3COOK is a weak acid so it doesn't dissociate 100%.

Is this correct. I'm surprised the text doesn't explain this. Borek, can you recommend any comprehensive, first year university chemistry textbooks?

I meant to say CH3COOH is a weak acid, not CH3COOK. My idea is that CH3COOK is a strong electrolyte so it dissociates 100% in solution therefore leaving K+ and CH3COO- in solution.

TheAbsoluTurk said:
I meant to say CH3COOH is a weak acid, not CH3COOK. My idea is that CH3COOK is a strong electrolyte so it dissociates 100% in solution therefore leaving K+ and CH3COO- in solution.

This part was OK, I just tried to answer your other question.

Borek said:
This part was OK, I just tried to answer your other question.

Oh, ok. I thought the two questions answered the same thing. Anyway I have a better idea of how to tell what products will arise from certain reactants. Thank you for the help.

Related to Reaction of acetic acid (CH3COOH) with potassium hydroxide (KOH)

What is the balanced chemical equation for the reaction between acetic acid and potassium hydroxide?

The balanced chemical equation for the reaction between acetic acid and potassium hydroxide is CH3COOH + KOH → CH3COOK + H2O.

What type of reaction occurs when acetic acid reacts with potassium hydroxide?

The reaction between acetic acid and potassium hydroxide is a neutralization reaction, where an acid and a base combine to form a salt and water.

What is the pH of the resulting solution after the reaction between acetic acid and potassium hydroxide?

The resulting solution after the reaction between acetic acid and potassium hydroxide will have a pH of 7, as it is a neutral solution.

What is the molar mass of acetic acid and potassium hydroxide?

The molar mass of acetic acid (CH3COOH) is 60.05 g/mol and the molar mass of potassium hydroxide (KOH) is 56.11 g/mol.

What safety precautions should be taken when conducting this reaction?

When conducting this reaction, it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, as both acetic acid and potassium hydroxide can be corrosive. The reaction should also be conducted in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. In case of accidental contact with skin or eyes, immediately flush with water and seek medical attention.