Balancing Half-Reactions: Determining H2O2 Concentration with KMnO4 Titration

• Thread starter DumbDuck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the problem requires determining the concentration of H2O2 through titration with KMnO4. The balanced equation and net ionic equation were provided, but after eliminating spectator ions, the resulting net ionic equation was incorrect as it did not involve electron transfer and therefore was not a redox reaction. The next step would be to identify the oxidant and reductant in order to properly balance the equation using redox techniques.
DumbDuck
Problem:
Determine concentration of H2O2 with Titration of KMnO4

Balance the equation and create a net ionic equation then balance using redox techniques and replace spectator ions

Balanced Equation:
5H2O2 + 2KMnO4 + H2SO4 ==> K2SO4 + MnSO4 + H2O + O2

My Work:
I eliminated all spectators and my net ionic equation was

16H(+) + 18O(2-) ==> 8H20 + 5O2

This cannot be correct, since putting this into a half-reaction

8H2O + 16H(+) ==> 8H2O + 16H(+) there is no need for e- and therefore is not a redox reaction. If I have the correct ionic equation I'm sure I can figure out the rest

Physics news on Phys.org
DumbDuck said:
Problem:
Determine concentration of H2O2 with Titration of KMnO4

Balance the equation and create a net ionic equation then balance using redox techniques and replace spectator ions

Balanced Equation:
5H2O2 + 2KMnO4 + H2SO4 ==> K2SO4 + MnSO4 + H2O + O2

My Work:
I eliminated all spectators and my net ionic equation was

16H(+) + 18O(2-) ==> 8H20 + 5O2

This cannot be correct, since putting this into a half-reaction

8H2O + 16H(+) ==> 8H2O + 16H(+) there is no need for e- and therefore is not a redox reaction. If I have the correct ionic equation I'm sure I can figure out the rest

Half reactions are reactions where the oxidant's reaction is shown separately from the reductant's reaction. It can be generalized as:

[O] + e- ----> [O]- ( or [O]+ + e- ------> [O] )

and

[R] -------> [R]+ + e- ( or [R]- ------> [R] + e- )

where [O] is the oxidant and [R] is the reductant.

In your example what is the reductant and the oxidant? Hint: H+ is neither...

Thank you for sharing your work. Your balanced equation and net ionic equation are correct. However, in order to use redox techniques and determine the concentration of H2O2, you will need to set up the half-reactions for both the oxidation and reduction reactions. In this case, the reduction half-reaction would be 2MnO4- + 16H+ + 10e- --> 2Mn2+ + 8H2O and the oxidation half-reaction would be 5H2O2 --> 5O2 + 10H+ + 10e-. By balancing the number of electrons in each half-reaction, you can then set them equal to each other and solve for the concentration of H2O2. I hope this helps in solving the problem.

Related to Balancing Half-Reactions: Determining H2O2 Concentration with KMnO4 Titration

1. What is the purpose of balancing half-reactions?

Balancing half-reactions is necessary in order to accurately determine the concentration of a substance in a chemical reaction. This is achieved by ensuring that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the reaction equation.

2. How does KMnO4 titration work in determining H2O2 concentration?

KMnO4 titration is a redox titration method that involves the use of potassium permanganate (KMnO4) as a titrant to react with a substance, in this case H2O2. The reaction between KMnO4 and H2O2 is a redox reaction, and by measuring the amount of KMnO4 required to react with all the H2O2, we can calculate the concentration of H2O2.

3. What is the importance of using a standardized KMnO4 solution?

A standardized KMnO4 solution is crucial in this titration method because it allows for accurate and precise results. If the solution is not standardized, the concentration of KMnO4 may vary, leading to incorrect calculations of the H2O2 concentration.

4. What are the key steps in balancing half-reactions for this titration method?

The key steps in balancing half-reactions for this titration method include identifying the elements that undergo oxidation and reduction, balancing the number of atoms of each element, balancing the charges on both sides of the reaction, and finally ensuring that the number of electrons lost in the oxidation half-reaction is equal to the number of electrons gained in the reduction half-reaction.

5. Are there any limitations to using KMnO4 titration for determining H2O2 concentration?

While KMnO4 titration is a commonly used method for determining H2O2 concentration, there are some limitations to consider. For example, other substances may interfere with the reaction between KMnO4 and H2O2, leading to inaccurate results. Additionally, this method only works for reactions that involve H2O2 and KMnO4, and may not be suitable for other types of reactions.