What are the solutions and domains for Homogenous Linear Equations (Wave)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a problem in a textbook by taking derivatives and substituting them into a given ODE. It also addresses the question of whether the solutions are only defined on a specific interval.
ineedhelpnow
(Wave)
i have a test on friday that I am studying for so i was working through some problems in my textbook. i came across this question and I am stuck on what to do. can anyone help me out?
thanks
View attachment 4128

Attachments

• 321.png
    321.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 55
Physics news on Phys.org
What you can do here is take the first and second derivatives (with respect to $x$) of the solutions given and substitute them into the given ODE and see if an identity results. For example, let's do $y_1$:

\(\displaystyle y_1=e^{2x}\)

And so we find:

\(\displaystyle y_1'=2e^{2x}\)

\(\displaystyle y_1''=4e^{2x}\)

And then substituting these into the ODE, we find:

\(\displaystyle 4e^{2x}-7\cdot2e^{2x}+10e^{2x}=0\)

\(\displaystyle 0=0\)

Thus, we know $y_1$ is a solution of (A). Try the other two...:D

I understand now ^^ but what if it were on a different interval from like 0 to 1 instead. Would that make a difference or does it mean that the function only exists on this interval?

As given, the solutions are defined for all real $x$. The ODE and/or solution will tell you where the solution is defined, either explicitly, or implied. :D

Related to What are the solutions and domains for Homogenous Linear Equations (Wave)?

1. What is a homogenous linear equation?

A homogenous linear equation is an algebraic equation in which all terms are of the same degree and the sum of all terms is equal to zero. This means that every term in the equation contains the same variable to the same power.

2. How do you solve a homogenous linear equation?

To solve a homogenous linear equation, you can use the method of substitution or elimination. First, rearrange the equation so that all the terms are on one side and the constant is on the other side. Then, substitute a variable for one of the terms and solve for the other variables. Repeat this process until you have a solution for all variables.

3. What is the difference between homogenous and non-homogenous linear equations?

The main difference between homogenous and non-homogenous linear equations is that in homogenous equations, the sum of all terms is equal to zero, while in non-homogenous equations, the sum of all terms is not equal to zero. This means that non-homogenous equations have a constant term, while homogenous equations do not.

4. Can a homogenous linear equation have no solution?

Yes, a homogenous linear equation can have no solution. This occurs when the coefficients of the variables are not independent, meaning that one or more of the variables can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. In this case, there is no unique solution for the equation.

5. How are homogenous linear equations used in real life?

Homogenous linear equations are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and statistics. They are used to model and solve problems involving systems of linear equations, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and transportation planning.