What Are the Optimal Kicking Angles for a Field Goal in Football?

In summary, the goal of this conversation was to determine the least and greatest elevation angles at which a football kicker can kick the ball to score a field goal from a distance of 50m with a horizontal bar 3.44m above the ground. Using the given initial speed of 25m/s, an equation was derived and solved for the angle using trigonometric functions. The correct answers were found to be 31 and 63 degrees.
H2Owned

Homework Statement

a football kicker can give the ball an initial speed of 25m/s. what are the least and greatest elevation angles at which he can kick the ball to score a field goal from a point 50m in font of the goalposts whose horizontal bar is 3.44 m above the ground.

Homework Equations

d = Vit + 0.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Dx=distance in x direction
Dy=distance in y direction
and so on for Velocity and Acceleration

V = 25m/s
Dy = 3.44m
Vx = 25cos(theta)m/s
Vy = 25sin(theta)m/2
Ay = -9.8m/s^2

t = (Dx)/(Vx) = 50m/(25cos(theta))s

Now plug everything into an equation for Dy
Dy = Vy*t + 0.5Ay*t^2
3.44 = (25sin(theta))(2/cos(theta)) + 0.5(-9.8)(2/cos(theta))^2

I cannot get an answer for theta out of this equation..

The proper answers are 31 degrees and 63 degrees but i dot know how to solve it

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind i think i solved it. my calculator had a setting messed up somewhere that i couldn't find and kept giving me errors.

i reset my calculator and was able to solve it.

Related to What Are the Optimal Kicking Angles for a Field Goal in Football?

1. What is the minimum angle?

The minimum angle is the smallest angle that can be measured or formed between two lines or surfaces. It is usually measured in degrees, with 0 degrees being the smallest angle possible.

2. What is the maximum angle?

The maximum angle is the largest angle that can be measured or formed between two lines or surfaces. It is usually measured in degrees, with 180 degrees being the largest angle possible.

3. How are minimum and maximum angles related?

The minimum and maximum angles are inversely related. This means that as the minimum angle decreases, the maximum angle increases, and vice versa. In other words, the minimum angle and maximum angle are two ends of a spectrum and are dependent on each other.

4. What is the significance of minimum and maximum angles?

Minimum and maximum angles are important in many fields of science, including mathematics, physics, engineering, and astronomy. These angles help us understand the properties and behaviors of objects and systems, and they are essential in problem-solving and designing experiments.

5. How are minimum and maximum angles measured?

Minimum and maximum angles can be measured using a protractor, which is a tool specifically designed for measuring angles. Some advanced equipment, such as laser measurement devices, can also be used to measure angles with high precision. Additionally, mathematical formulas can be used to calculate angles based on other known measurements.