What are the main weed out classes in engineering?

In summary: In your experience, what were the most difficult intro courses in engineering with the highest failure rates? calculus, physics?
JesseJC
In your experience, what were the most difficult intro courses in engineering with the highest failure rates? calculus, physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
JesseJC said:
In your experience, what were the most difficult intro courses in engineering with the highest failure rates? calculus, physics?

At my alma matter it was thermodynamics for the ME's and integrated circuits for the EE's.

It varies. At my school, for all engineers, it's physics I and calc II.

At my school it's multi variable calculus (60% pass rate last year) & thermodynamics (70% pass rate last I heard)

Physics 2 and Calc 2 freshman year have a high fail rate here

I think the classes only get harder but a lot of people freshman year change majors when they realize it's not for them.

JesseJC said:

Here, the main 'weed-out' engineering class is 'Statics', which is also the first real engineering class they take. Prior to that, the primary obstacles are Calc I and II and Physics I and II.

"Weed out" course? <cringe> o_O <urk!>

We have all experienced the negative aspects of how things are taught versus one's learning style. Or the quality of some instructors. But there are plenty of students who attempt to take <select course from list above> who are insufficiently prepared and/or motivated to achieve. Or to work harder and overcome their deficiencies. The subject matter is tough for a reason. Not everyone has what it takes.

tygerdawg said:
"Weed out" course? <cringe> o_O <urk!>

We have all experienced the negative aspects of how things are taught versus one's learning style. Or the quality of some instructors. But there are plenty of students who attempt to take <select course from list above> who are insufficiently prepared and/or motivated to achieve. Or to work harder and overcome their deficiencies. The subject matter is tough for a reason. Not everyone has what it takes.

I agree with this. Funny how all of the weed out courses are early in the curriculum.

It is probably more likely that they're easier, but filled with more people who aren't willing to put in the effort.

Related to What are the main weed out classes in engineering?

1. What are weed out classes in engineering?

Weed out classes in engineering are courses that are designed to be challenging and rigorous in order to determine which students are well-suited for the program. These classes often have high failure rates and are used to "weed out" students who may not have the necessary skills or dedication to continue in the engineering program.

2. What are some examples of weed out classes in engineering?

Examples of weed out classes in engineering may include calculus, physics, and introductory engineering courses. These classes are typically taken in the first year or two of the program and are meant to establish a strong foundation for more specialized courses in the later years.

3. Why do engineering programs have weed out classes?

Engineering programs have weed out classes in order to ensure that students who graduate from the program are well-prepared and have the necessary skills to excel in their field. These classes also help to maintain the rigor and reputation of the program.

4. Are weed out classes necessary in engineering?

While some argue that weed out classes can be discouraging and may not accurately reflect a student's potential, they are generally considered necessary in engineering programs. These classes help to identify students who are truly passionate and dedicated to the field, as well as prepare them for the challenging coursework ahead.

5. How can I succeed in weed out classes in engineering?

To succeed in weed out classes, it is important to stay organized, attend lectures and review sessions, and seek help when needed. Additionally, developing strong study habits and time management skills can greatly benefit students in these classes. It is also important to stay motivated and remember the end goal of becoming a successful engineer.