What Are the Latest Developments in Rocket Propulsion Technology?

• Thread starter Benjies
  • Start date
In summary, the latest developments in rocket propulsion technology include the use of reusable rockets, advancements in electric propulsion systems, and the development of new fuels and engines. Reusable rockets, such as those used by SpaceX, have the potential to significantly reduce the cost of space travel. Electric propulsion systems, which use electricity to accelerate the propellant, offer higher efficiency and longer operating lifetimes compared to traditional chemical rockets. New fuels and engines, such as liquid methane and ion thrusters, are being researched and tested for more efficient and sustainable space travel. Overall, these developments have the potential to make space travel more accessible and cost-effective in the future.
Benjies
How did you find PF?
Google, as I literally looked up "forum to nerd out about science" 😅
Hello! My name is Ben, and as I've already mentioned, I am simply looking to discuss propulsion, and more broadly, topics involving rocket science. I'm wrapping up a masters from Purdue in propulsion this fall, and it's hard to find people who want to listen and/or engage in the subject of rocket propulsion outside of a handful of fellow graduate students. So, here I am!

I also have a background in mechanical engineering, cybersecurity, and jet/electric propulsion. My interests are pretty broad involving science, and I love to discuss pretty much whatever, as long as participants are respectful.

Feel free to reach out. Have a good one!

Likes berkeman and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! Start the ball rolling by creating a thread in the appropriate forum and what happens.

Some of the most recent news I’ve seen has been the work on electric planes and hybrids, their pros, cons and potential uses.

Love your search term, "forum to nerd out about science"

And...
:welcome: