What are the interests and aspirations of a physics and math enthusiast?

• Thread starter QFP
  • Start date
In summary, a physics and math enthusiast is someone who has a deep interest in the fields of physics and mathematics. They are passionate about understanding the laws and principles that govern the universe and are constantly seeking to expand their knowledge and skills in these areas. Their aspirations may include pursuing a career in research or academia, solving complex problems, and making groundbreaking discoveries. They are also drawn to the beauty and elegance of math and physics, and enjoy using their analytical and critical thinking skills to solve challenging problems. Overall, a physics and math enthusiast is driven by their love for these subjects and their desire to unravel the mysteries of the world around us.
QFP
Hi all! I posted another thread that sort of outlines a few things about me but it's great to introduce myself formally! :)

Currently, I'm an undergrad physics major with ~1.5 years left who is deciding whether or not to see if I can blitz down a math degree in the remaining time. I've also got a background in EE and I love and marvel at computers as much as I do anything in physics or mathematics. I spent last summer working with some brilliant guys in a startup but I'm not interested in the corporate world right now, not until I'm satisfied with the amount of physics and math that I know, so I'm currently looking at grad school.

I'm a huge scifi and fantasy geek. The pinnacle of literature to me is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and I love reading short stories, especially the ones of authors like George R.R. Martin and H.P Lovecraft. Video games like Civ, XCOM and the Metal Gear series have captivated my attention as well and (while I'm embarrassed to admit it) also are a serious reason why I love physics and math so much.

My dream job is probably working in industry/academia as a computational physicist on advanced materials research. Spending my time understanding the physics of what's going on and then using my knowledge of mathematics and computers to develop and optimize simulations to further investigate and help push the boundaries of what is possible just sounds like heaven to me!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there

welcome to PF :smile:

cheers
Dave