Show rectangular box of given volume has minimum surface area when

In summary, to show that a rectangular box of given volume has minimum surface area when the box is a cube, one must use partial derivatives to minimize the surface area. The surface area equation is 2(wl+hl+hw), and the volume equation is whl. The method involves setting the partial derivatives of the surface area equation to zero and solving for critical points. However, this approach is flawed because it does not take into account the constraint of the volume being held constant. The correct method involves using the Lagrange multiplier method and setting up a new function F with the volume constraint incorporated. The resulting partial derivatives must be solved for z, which leads to the conclusion that x=y.
jonroberts74

Homework Statement

show rectangular box of given volume has minimum surface area when the box is a cube

[gotta show it with partial derivatives to minimize]

Homework Equations

surface area = 2(wl+hl+hw)
volume = whl

The Attempt at a Solution

so this is the one I would be minimizing

and the partials of it, that would be

[tex]2<L+H,W+H,L+W>[/tex]

then setting those to zero and solving for critical points.

seems flawed but maybe not.

seems that it comes out to them all being of the same value

Physics news on Phys.org
jonroberts74 said:

Homework Statement

show rectangular box of given volume has minimum surface area when the box is a cube

[gotta show it with partial derivatives to minimize]

Homework Equations

volume = whl

The Attempt at a Solution

so this is the one I would be minimizing

and the partials of it, that would be

[tex]2<L+H,W+H,L+W>[/tex]

then setting those to zero and solving for critical points.

seems flawed but maybe not.

seems that it comes out to them all being of the same value

It is very flawed indeed. You forgot about the constraint. You either need to use the constraint to eliminate one of the variables, or else use the Lagrange multiplier method.

Also: you are assuming the box is closed. If the box is open (no top) the result is not true: there are designs that are better than the cube in that case.

the constraint being

[tex]wlh=k[/tex] where k is the volume

then solving for say h [tex]h=\frac{k}{lw}[/tex]

now I have [tex]\left\{\begin{array}{cc}2(L+ \frac{k}{lw}) =0\\ 2(W + \frac{k}{lw} )=0\\ 2(L+W)=0\end{array}\right.[/tex]

correct?

jonroberts74 said:
the constraint being

now I have [tex]\left\{\begin{array}{cc}2(L+ \frac{k}{lw}) =0\\ 2(W + \frac{k}{lw} )=0\\ 2(L+W)=0\end{array}\right.[/tex]

correct?

No, not correct. Please take more care and try to use what you have learned already.

if the volume is not the constraint then what is? It says for a rectangular box of given volume. this problem is from the chapter before lagrange multipliers and constraints are introduced

jonroberts74 said:
if the volume is not the constraint then what is? It says for a rectangular box of given volume. this problem is from the chapter before lagrange multipliers and constraints are introduced

What is the expression for A(L,W) = area in terms of L and W, with volume held fixed at some constant value k? Don't guess; work it out in detail.

when you are asking for A(L,W) do you mean surface area or area of a given side? I apologize, I do not mean to seem like I am simply guessing.

area of a side is L x W, surface area 8(LxW) because 8 sides of the prism.

but that's under the assumption L=W which is what I have to show.

2 sides would have area LxL and 2 sides would have area WxW then the base is LxW.

So the surface area 2(LxL)+ 2(WxW) + (LxW) [with an open top]

the book doesn't give whether it is open on top or not.

if its closed then the surface area is 2(LxL)+2(WxW)+2(WxL)

and volume = (LxL)(WxW)(LxW) = k

if that's correct, taking partials

[tex]4L+1=0, 4W+1=0[/tex] [open top] this seems incorrect too though

this gives minimizer [tex](-1/4, -1/4)[/tex]

Last edited:
jonroberts74 said:
when you are asking for A(L,W) do you mean surface area or area of a given side? I apologize, I do not mean to seem like I am simply guessing.

area of a side is L x W, surface area 8(LxW) because 8 sides of the prism.

but that's under the assumption L=W which is what I have to show.

2 sides would have area LxL and 2 sides would have area WxW then the base is LxW.

So the surface area 2(LxL)+ 2(WxW) + (LxW) [with an open top]

the book doesn't give whether it is open on top or not.

if its closed then the surface area is 2(LxL)+2(WxW)+2(WxL)

and volume = (LxL)(WxW)(LxW) = k

if that's correct, taking partials

[tex]4L+1=0, 4W+1=0[/tex] [open top] this seems incorrect too though

this gives minimizer [tex](-1/4, -1/4)[/tex]

I give up. I have told you two approaches to use, and you have ignored them both.

I did not ignore them, I am trying to figure them out, thanks anyway.

jonroberts74 said:
the constraint being

correct?

It was an odd numbered question so Igave in and checked the back of the book, the answer it gave said to do this.

so I don't know what to think because you told me this is the incorrect route

jonroberts74 said:
It was an odd numbered question so Igave in and checked the back of the book, the answer it gave said to do this.

so I don't know what to think because you told me this is the incorrect route

I advised you to be careful. Your derivatives are all wrong. The route is OK, but you made serious errors along the way.

First write up the area in terms of W and L (substitute k/(WL) for H). Simplify and find the partial derivatives with respect to W and L after.

ehild

okay,

I'll try this way

a new function F

[tex]F(x,y,z,\lambda) = 2(xy+xz+yz) - \lambda(xyz-V)[/tex]

taking partials

[tex]\left\{\begin{array}{cc}F_{x}=2y+2z\\F_{y} = 2x+2z\\F_{z}=2x+2y\\ F_{\lambda}=-xyz+V\end{array}\right.[/tex]

I'll solve for z

[tex]z=-x, z=-y \Rightarrow -x=-y \Rightarrow x=y[/tex]

[tex]x(x)y=V[/tex] and [tex]x(y)y=V[/tex]

I do appreciate the help, I've said it previously. I have a lot of difficulty reading english. So it may seem like I am not trying but I am.

Last edited:
jonroberts74 said:
okay,

I'll try this way

a new function F

[tex]F(x,y,z,\lambda) = 2(xy+xz+yz) - \lambda(xyz-V)[/tex]

taking partials

[tex]\left\{\begin{array}{cc}F_{x}=2y+2z\\F_{y} = 2x+2z\\F_{z}=2x+2y\\ F_{\lambda}=-xyz+V\end{array}\right.[/tex]

The partials are wrong again. You ignored λ(xyz-V).

ehild.

ehild said:
The partials are wrong again. You ignored λ(xyz-V).

ehild.

I did, thank you.

[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{cc} 2y+2z - \lambda yz \\ 2x+2z - \lambda xz \\ 2y+2x - \lambda zx \\ -xyz +V \end{array}\right.[/tex]
[tex]z=\frac{V}{xy}[/tex]

[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{cc} 2y+2\frac{v}{xy} - \lambda y\frac{v}{xy} \\ 2x+2\frac{v}{xy} - \lambda x\frac{v}{xy} \\ 2y+2x - \lambda \frac{v}{xy} x \\ -xy\frac{v}{xy} +V \end{array}\right.[/tex]

Last edited:
jonroberts74 said:
I did, thank you.

[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{cc} 2y+2z - \lambda yz \\ 2x+2z - \lambda xz \\ 2y+2x - \lambda zx \\ -xyz +V \end{array}\right.[/tex]

The third equation is wrong. You have to differentiate with respect to z.
Do not proceed by substituting z=V/(xy). Isolate y from the first equation and x from the second one in terms of z and λ. Substitute for x and y in the third equation. Solve for z in terms of λ. With the expression for z, get x and y...

ehild

Last edited:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{cc} 2y+2z - \lambda yz \\ 2x+2z - \lambda xz \\ 2y+2x - \lambda yx \\ -xyz +V \end{array}\right.[/tex]

[tex]y(2-\lambda z) = -2z \Rightarrow y= \frac{-2z}{2-\lambda z} [/tex]

[tex]x(2-\lambda z) = -2z \Rightarrow x = \frac{-2z}{2-\lambda z}[/tex]

[tex]2\frac{-2z}{2-\lambda z}+ 2\frac{-2z}{2-\lambda z} = \lambda \frac{-2z}{2-\lambda z}\frac{-2z}{2-\lambda z} [/tex]

I got to run to class, will finish this after

Last edited:
ehild said:
The third equation is wrong. You have to differentiate with respect to z.
Do not proceed by substituting z=V/(xy). Isolate y from the first equation and x from the second one in terms of z and λ. Substitute for x and y in the third equation. Solve for z in terms of λ. With the expression for z, get x and y...
I think it would be simpler to solve for ##\lambda## in each of the three equations and set the results equal to each other. It's pretty straightforward from there to show that x=y=z.

jonroberts74 said:
I did, thank you.

[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{cc} 2y+2\frac{v}{xy} - \lambda y\frac{v}{xy} \\ 2x+2\frac{v}{xy} - \lambda x\frac{v}{xy} \\ 2y+2x - \lambda \frac{v}{xy} x \\ -xy\frac{v}{xy} +V \end{array}\right.[/tex]

The equation ##F_x = 0## can be written as ##Y + Z = \lambda/2##, where ##Y = 1/y## and ##Z = 1/z## (obtained from ##F_x/(yz) = 0##). Similarly for the others, so altogether (with ##X = 1/x## as well) we have:
[tex] X+Y = \lambda/2\\
Y + Z = \lambda/2 \\
Z + X = \lambda/2[/tex]

You can either solve for ##X,Y,Z## in terms of ##\lambda## or else just use the equations to show that ##X = Y = Z##. This corresponds to a cube.

For the open-top case the same method can be used.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I believe this is what I was trying to get at before. As always, we complicate something confusing ourselves--especially new material. Thanks everyone

Yes, the simplest way would have been without Lagrange multiplier, but your partial derivatives were not correct.

The area was A=2(xy+yz+xz) with the constraint V=xyz.

z=V/(xy), substitute into A:

A=2(xy+V/x+V/y)

Take the partial derivatives with respect to x and y and equate them with 0. Proceed:smile:

ehild

ehild said:
Yes, the simplest way would have been without Lagrange multiplier, but your partial derivatives were not correct.

The area was A=2(xy+yz+xz) with the constraint V=xyz.

z=V/(xy), substitute into A:

A=2(xy+V/x+V/y)

Take the partial derivatives with respect to x and y and equate them with 0. Proceed:smile:

ehild

A=2(xy+V/x+V/y) gives partials

[tex]A_{x} = 2y - \frac{2V}{x^2}; A_{y} = 2x - \frac{2V}{y^2}[/tex]

now [tex]x = \frac{V}{y^2}; y = \frac{V}{x^2}[/tex]

I can see from when I solved for z that what I get for x and y, that y^2 is equal to yz had I solved for x in the constraint. and similar for initially solving for y in the constraint. I see the equality but I am having difficulty composing my thoughts

Last edited:
jonroberts74 said:
A=2(xy+V/x+V/y) gives partials

[tex]A_{x} = 2y - \frac{2V}{x^2}; A_{y} = 2x - \frac{2V}{y^2}[/tex]

I can see from when I solved for z that what I get for x and y, that y^2 is equal to yz had I solved for x in the constraint. and similar for initially solving for y in the constraint. I see the equality but I am having difficulty composing my thoughts

Substitute ##x = \frac{V}{y^2}## into the equation for Ax: ##y - \frac{V}{x^2}=0## and solve for y...

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
got it! thanks so much and thank you for your patience, everyone. much appreciated

jonroberts74 said:

Show your thoughts mathematically :smile:. Your method is nice and simple, but it is difficult to follow when you write it in words. So you substituted ##x = \frac{V}{y^2}## into the constraint equation V=xyz and you got ##V=\frac{V}{y^2}yz## which simplifies to ##1=\frac{z}{y}## that is, y=z. Doing the same with ##y = \frac{V}{x^2}## you got x=z. So x=y=z .ehild

Likes 1 person

Related to Show rectangular box of given volume has minimum surface area when

1. What is the formula for calculating the surface area of a rectangular box?

The formula for finding the surface area of a rectangular box is SA = 2(lw + lh + wh), where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the box.

2. What is the relationship between the volume and surface area of a rectangular box?

There is an inverse relationship between the volume and surface area of a rectangular box. This means that as the volume increases, the surface area decreases and vice versa.

3. How do you find the minimum surface area of a rectangular box with a given volume?

To find the minimum surface area of a rectangular box with a given volume, we need to use the calculus concept of optimization. We can set up an equation for surface area in terms of one variable (either length, width, or height) and then find the critical points using the first derivative. The critical point with the minimum surface area will give us the dimensions for the box with the minimum surface area for a given volume.

4. Can the minimum surface area of a rectangular box with a given volume be found without using calculus?

No, the minimum surface area of a rectangular box with a given volume cannot be found without using calculus. The concept of optimization and finding critical points is necessary to solve this problem.

5. How does the shape of the rectangular box affect its surface area for a given volume?

The shape of the rectangular box does not have a significant impact on the surface area for a given volume. As long as the box has the same volume, the surface area will be minimized when the dimensions are equal (i.e. a cube). Any other shape will result in a larger surface area for the same volume.