What are the Components of Acceleration in a Vertical Circle?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a swinging object attached to a cord. The question asks for the tension in the string, the tangential and radial components of acceleration, and the total acceleration. Various equations and attempts at a solution are shared, with the final solution involving taking the inverse tangent to find the angle below the cord for the total acceleration.
jmwachtel

Homework Statement

One end of a cord is fixed and a small 0.250 kg object is attached to the other end, where it swings in a section of a vertical circle of radius 2.50 m as shown in the figure below. When θ = 20.0°, the speed of the object is 7.70 m/s. At this instant, find each of the following.

(a) the tension in the string

(b) the tangential and radial components of acceleration

ar =

at =

(c) the total acceleration

Homework Equations

I have been trying to use ar = mgcos(20)
at = mgsin(20)

Also for the Tension, I was using T= mg(v^2/Rg + cos(20)

The Attempt at a Solution

My numbers are not coming out right, and I am afraid I don't no understad this problem in the slightest. Please help me. Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appriciated. I am new to this, please help.

THIS SHOULD HELP YA AT ITS BEST...::

Tension=mg*cos theta

FOR Tangential accln...
TAKE angular displacement as=(pi/180)*20 radian
v=7.70 m/s
Omega=v/R
Use omega^2=0+2*alpha*(pi/180)*20 radian

Calculate alpha...
then calculate t using omega=0+alpha*t

then Tangential accln=v/t

Total accln={at^2+ac^2}^1/2

Radial accln=v^2/r

Newton's laws will always rescue us.:smile:

physixguru said:
Tension=mg*cos theta

That is incorrect. That is only so when the object/particle is at the extremes of oscillation and at such points v=0 but it is not so in this case.

jmwachtel said:
I have been trying to use ar = mgcos(20)

That is not right. Radial accelaration is T - mgcos(20) = m(v^2)/R for it is centripetally accelarating.( Fnet= ma! You've got to consider all the forces.)

jmwachtel said:
T= mg(v^2/Rg + cos(20)

Thats right. How come you have used T-mgcos(20)=m(v^2)/R here? Tension should come out right.

Feel free to ask anything else if you still feel unsure about something.

That is not right. Radial accelaration is T - mgcos(20) = m(v^2)/R for it is centripetally accelarating.( Fnet= ma! You've got to consider all the forces.)

I believe you meant centripetal acceleration.

Radial acceleration comes from the other component of the weight

Huh? It is radially accelerating inwards, yes? Then should radial accn. not equal Centripetal accn.?

You said the tension part is incorrect, what is the correct way to find the tension?

anirudh215 said:
Huh? It is radially accelerating inwards, yes? Then should radial accn. not equal Centripetal accn.?

Radial acceleration means the acceleration that is linear to its movement,

Centripetal acceleration means the acceleration that is perpendicular to its movement.

EDIT:
OK so sorry, radial acceleration is centripetal acceleration. The acceleration that is linear to movement is known as tangenial acceleration

Last edited:
I figured out the tension and the tagnet acceleration, but I need to figure out the radial now. How might I do that, I don't understand all the stuff that guro did. I used at = gsin(20).

Ok, I have solved all of the problem except for one piece:

atotal = 23.9 m/s2 inward and below the cord at °

What does below the cord mean? I know it's asking for an angle.

Hi Jim,For an object moving in a citcle we know that the resultant acceleration is given as the centripetal force of acceleration. In the question, the tension and the weight component add up to this centripetal acceleration. Can you figure this out now?

It's Joe. Yes I did! Thank You! I took the tan inverse of at/ar and that have me 8.04. Thank You!

Related to What are the Components of Acceleration in a Vertical Circle?

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (how much an object is speeding up or slowing down) and direction (which way the object is accelerating).

What are the three components of acceleration?

The three components of acceleration are the initial velocity, the final velocity, and the time interval between the two velocities. These components are used to calculate the acceleration of an object using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time interval.

How are the components of acceleration related?

The components of acceleration are related through the formula a = (vf - vi)/t. This formula shows that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the change in velocity and inversely proportional to the time interval. This means that the greater the change in velocity and the shorter the time interval, the greater the acceleration.

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the average rate of change of an object's velocity over a given time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration of an object at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, while instantaneous acceleration can be calculated using calculus by finding the derivative of an object's velocity function at a specific time.

How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its velocity. If an object is accelerating in the same direction as its initial velocity, it will speed up. If an object is accelerating in the opposite direction of its initial velocity, it will slow down. And if an object is accelerating at an angle to its initial velocity, it will change direction as well as speed up or slow down.