What is the centripetal acceleration in a vertical circle with a given velocity?

In summary, the homework asks for the centripetal acceleration of the mass in the vertical circle shown in the picture. It also states the object has exactly enough velocity to maintain a vertical circle. The velocity that you solved for is the critical velocity at the top of the circle to just maintain the circular motion (it's the critical point where the object is moving at its slowest speed). The centripetal acceleration is 21.43, and the tangential acceleration is 3.986.
hittce

Homework Statement

The questions asks for the centripetal acceleration of the mass in the vertical circle shown in the picture. It also states the object has exactly enough velocity to maintain a vertical circle.

Homework Equations

F=ma, a=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried solving for the velocity by setting mg=m*v^2/r and then subtracting mgcos(114) to get the velocity and then plugging it back into a=v^2/r, but to no avail.

Attachments

• circle.png
    circle.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hittce, Welcome to Physics Forums.

The velocity that you solved for is the critical velocity at the top of the circle to just maintain the circular motion (it's the critical point where the object is moving at its slowest speed). At any other location on the circle the speed will be greater as the object trades gravitational PE for KE...

I actually tried solving it that way before I posted and got it wrong, but upon reading your response I decided to try again and it turns out I made a small error before. Anyway, now I got the correct answer, so thanks for taking the time to reply.

The next part of the question asks for the total acceleration. I got the centripetal acceleration to be 21.43, and then I found the tangential acceleration to be 3.986 by taking g*sin(24) and then I proceeded to take the square root of the sum of the squares to get 21.796 since the two accelerations were perpendicular, but the answer was wrong. Any tips as to where I went wrong?

hittce said:
I found the tangential acceleration to be 3.986 by taking g*sin(24)
I usually check the special cases of 0° and 90° when using sine/cosines. So in this case, if the angle was 90° instead of 114°, then you're saying that the tangential acceleration would be g*sin(0)=0?

Ah, so I should have left it as sin(114) after all, so much for my drawings. But was I right in thinking that once I have this number that I find the total acceleration by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of tangential and centripetal acceleration?

Never mind, I was impatient and went ahead and submitted the answer and it was correct. Thanks for the help guys.

I was thinking cos(24°) but that's the same thing as sin(114°). Any way you like best works. And yes you can use pythagorean's theorem to add them because, like you said, they are perpendicular.

Related to What is the centripetal acceleration in a vertical circle with a given velocity?

What is a vertical circle question?

A vertical circle question is a type of physics problem that involves an object moving in a circular path in a vertical plane, usually due to a combination of gravitational and centripetal forces.

What is the formula for solving a vertical circle question?

The formula for solving a vertical circle question is v²=rg, where v is the speed of the object, r is the radius of the circle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you determine the direction of the acceleration in a vertical circle question?

The direction of the acceleration in a vertical circle question can be determined using the right-hand rule. The acceleration is always directed towards the center of the circle.

What is the difference between tension and weight in a vertical circle question?

Tension is the force exerted by a string or rope on an object, while weight is the force of gravity pulling an object towards the center of the Earth. In a vertical circle question, tension and weight are often equal and opposite, resulting in a net centripetal force.

How does the speed of an object in a vertical circle affect the tension in the string?

The speed of an object in a vertical circle does not affect the tension in the string. The tension is determined by the weight and the radius of the circle, and remains constant as long as the speed and radius do not change.