Tangential and Radial components of acceleration and tension

In summary, the object swings up and down and the answer to the question is changed if the object is swinging down toward its lowest point instead of swinging up.
Eohlas

Homework Statement

One end of a cord is fixed and a small 0.500 kg object is attached to the other end, where it swings in a section of a vertical circle of radius 2.00 m as shown. (I don't have access to a camera right now, apologies.) When the angle is 20.0 degrees, the speed of the object is 8.00 m/s. At this instant, find (a) the tension in the string, (b) the tangential and radial components of acceleration, and (c) the total acceleration. (d)Is the answer to this question changed if the object is swinging down toward its lowest point instead of swinging up? Explain.

Known data:
mass is 0.500 kg
Radius is 2.00
Angle is 20.0 degrees
Speed of object when it is 20.0 degrees to the right of the vertical is 8.00 m/s

Homework Equations

Radial acceleration = (V2)/radius)
mg = 4.9N
mgsinθ = 1.68 N
mgcosθ = 4.60 N

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved it earlier today, but now that I've taken a second look, I'm starting to think I didn't solve it correctly.

I set up the equations of motion for both the y and x components. (I've set up the coordinate system so the y-axis is along the cord)
ƩFy: T - mgcosθ - mar = 0 (originally, I did not include the centripetal force)
ƩFx: -mgsinθ= -ma (the force is acting on the object in the opposite direction)
A) Find tension in the cord
T = mgcosθ + mar

Ar is V2/R so, (8.00^2)/2.00 --> 32.0 m/s^2 ( seems excessive to me)
T = mgcosθ + mar --> 4.60N + 16.0N = 20.6N

B) Find tangential and radial components of acceleration

Already found Ar in part A. I think tangential acceleration is obtained from -mgsinθ = -ma, which when I cancel out the mass, is -gsinθ= -a which yields -3.35 m/s^2.

C) the total acceleration is √( (Atangential)2 + Ar2) ) which yields 32.2 m/s^2

D) The answers to the previous questions will not change if the object was swinging in the opposite direction, because the magnitudes of the tension, radial acceleration, and tangential acceleration would still be the same. In other words, they are independent of the direction of motion.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eohlas said:

Homework Statement

One end of a cord is fixed and a small 0.500 kg object is attached to the other end, where it swings in a section of a vertical circle of radius 2.00 m as shown. (I don't have access to a camera right now, apologies.) When the angle is 20.0 degrees, the speed of the object is 8.00 m/s. At this instant, find (a) the tension in the string, (b) the tangential and radial components of acceleration, and (c) the total acceleration. (d)Is the answer to this question changed if the object is swinging down toward its lowest point instead of swinging up? Explain.

Known data:
mass is 0.500 kg
Radius is 2.00
Angle is 20.0 degrees
Speed of object when it is 20.0 degrees to the right of the vertical is 8.00 m/s

Homework Equations

Radial acceleration = (V2)/radius)
mg = 4.9N
mgsinθ = 1.68 N
mgcosθ = 4.60 N

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved it earlier today, but now that I've taken a second look, I'm starting to think I didn't solve it correctly.

I set up the equations of motion for both the y and x components. (I've set up the coordinate system so the y-axis is along the cord)
ƩFy: T - mgcosθ - mar = 0 (originally, I did not include the centripetal force)
ƩFx: -mgsinθ= -ma (the force is acting on the object in the opposite direction)
A) Find tension in the cord
T = mgcosθ + mar

Ar is V2/R so, (8.00^2)/2.00 --> 32.0 m/s^2 ( seems excessive to me)
T = mgcosθ + mar --> 4.60N + 16.0N = 20.6N

B) Find tangential and radial components of acceleration

Already found Ar in part A. I think tangential acceleration is obtained from -mgsinθ = -ma, which when I cancel out the mass, is -gsinθ= -a which yields -3.35 m/s^2.

C) the total acceleration is √( (Atangential)2 + Ar2) ) which yields 32.2 m/s^2

D) The answers to the previous questions will not change if the object was swinging in the opposite direction, because the magnitudes of the tension, radial acceleration, and tangential acceleration would still be the same. In other words, they are independent of the direction of motion.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Welcome to PF, Eohlas!

Your solution is correct.

ehild

Thanks for the welcome, although I actually registered almost two years ago. Heh. And thanks for taking the time to check my solution. :)

Eohlas said:
Thanks for the welcome, although I actually registered almost two years ago. Heh. :)

I saw that this was your first post. Was it? You came out from hide-out just now. .:smile:

Your solution looks correct to me! I would just like to clarify a few things:

1. The radial acceleration is not simply V^2 / R. It should be V^2 / R *cosθ, since the object is not moving in a perfect circle but rather in a section of a circle where the radius changes as the angle changes.

2. The tangential acceleration is not -mgsinθ = -ma. It should be V^2 / R * sinθ, as this is the component of acceleration that is tangential to the circle.

3. The total acceleration should be the magnitude of the vector sum of the radial and tangential accelerations, not the square root of their squares.

Other than that, your solution looks good and your reasoning for part D is correct. Keep up the good work!

Related to Tangential and Radial components of acceleration and tension

1. What is the difference between tangential and radial acceleration?

Tangential acceleration refers to the change in magnitude or speed of an object's velocity, while radial acceleration refers to the change in direction of an object's velocity. Tangential acceleration is parallel to the object's velocity, while radial acceleration is perpendicular to the object's velocity.

2. How are tangential and radial acceleration related to circular motion?

Tangential acceleration is necessary for an object to maintain a constant speed while moving in a circular path, as the direction of the velocity is constantly changing. Radial acceleration is responsible for keeping the object on its circular path, as it points towards the center of the circle.

3. What is the formula for calculating tangential acceleration?

The formula for tangential acceleration is a = r * θ, where a is the tangential acceleration, r is the radius of the circular path, and θ is the angular acceleration.

4. How is tension related to tangential and radial acceleration?

Tension is a force that acts along a string, rope, or other flexible material. In circular motion, tension is responsible for providing the centripetal force that keeps the object moving in a circular path. This force has both tangential and radial components, with the radial component being responsible for the object's circular motion and the tangential component contributing to the object's tangential acceleration.

5. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force refers to the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to push an object away from the center of its circular path. Centrifugal force is a fictitious force, as it only appears to exist due to the object's inertia.