What are the allowed states when coupling 3 identical bosons?

In summary, when three identical quadrupole phonons are coupled together, only states with total angular momentum 0, 2, 4, and 6 are allowed. The coupling of three angular momenta can be achieved by iterating the rule for the coupling of two angular momenta, or by using Wigner 6-j symbols. The latter may be more efficient, but may not be available until January.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that when tree identical quadrupole phonons (boson) are coupled togheter, only states with total angular momentum 0,2,4 and 6 are allowed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know "how" to do it, but i do not know how to couple three angular momenta.

In the case of two, following is true for the total:

[tex] \vert j_1 - j_2\vert \leq J \leq \vert j_1 + j_2\vert [/tex]

But how to do a similar thing when there is three? Shall I look up how the triangular inequality works for three vectors?

Physics news on Phys.org
malawi_glenn said:
i do not know how to couple three angular momenta.

In the case of two, following is true for the total:

[tex] \vert j_1 - j_2\vert \leq J \leq \vert j_1 + j_2\vert [/tex]

But how to do a similar thing when there is three? Shall I look up how the triangular inequality works for three vectors?

You can "iterate" the rule for the coupling of two angular momenta. Couple two of the angular momenta, then, for each possible outcome, couple the resultant angular monenta with the third angular monentum.

I think Wigner 6-j symbols give a more efficient approach, but I haven't looked at them since grad school, so I might be mistaken.

okay, that came up into my head when I just hit the "post" botton. Yes, but I will not have the Wigner 6-j symbols until January I think =P

thanx

Related to What are the allowed states when coupling 3 identical bosons?

1. What is the significance of coupling 3 identical bosons?

The coupling of 3 identical bosons is significant because it allows us to study the interactions and behaviors of these particles, which can provide insights into the fundamental laws of physics. It also has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and high-energy physics.

2. How do 3 identical bosons couple together?

In the case of identical bosons, such as photons or helium-4 atoms, the coupling occurs through a process called Bose-Einstein condensation. This is a quantum phenomenon where the bosons lose their individual identities and form a single, coherent entity with unique properties.

3. What are the properties of a coupled system of 3 identical bosons?

The properties of a coupled system of 3 identical bosons can vary depending on factors such as temperature and density, but some common properties include superfluidity, where the particles can flow without resistance, and interference patterns, where the particles exhibit wave-like behavior.

4. Can 3 identical bosons be coupled in different ways?

Yes, 3 identical bosons can be coupled in different ways depending on the conditions and interactions between them. For example, they can form a Bose-Einstein condensate, or they can interact through scattering processes. The specific coupling behavior can also be manipulated through external factors such as magnetic fields.

5. What are the current research areas related to coupling 3 identical bosons?

Current research areas related to coupling 3 identical bosons include studying the properties of Bose-Einstein condensates and their potential applications, exploring different coupling mechanisms and behaviors, and investigating the role of three-body interactions in these systems. Additionally, researchers are also looking at ways to control and manipulate the coupling of identical bosons for practical applications.