Ladder operators to prove eigenstates of total angular momen

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a state using products of eigenstates of two individual angular momenta and determining its eigenstate values for total angular momentum. The equations (2)-(5) are used to find the solution, with (4) being rewritten in terms of ladder operators (6) and (7). The values of ##J_x## and ##J_y## are then solved using (2).
Logan Rudd

Homework Statement

Consider the following state constructed out of products of eigenstates of two individual angular momenta with ##j_1 = \frac{3}{2}## and ##j_2 = 1##:
$$
\begin{equation*}
\sqrt{\frac{3}{5}}|{\tiny\frac{3}{2}, -\frac{1}{2}}\rangle |{\tiny 1,-1}\rangle + \sqrt{\frac{2}{5}}|{\tiny\frac{3}{2},-\frac{3}{2}}\rangle|{\tiny1,0}\rangle
\end{equation*}
$$

(a) Show that this is an eigenstate of the total angular momentum. What are the values of ##j## and ##m_j## for this state?

Homework Equations

$$
\begin{equation}
J^2|\Psi\rangle=\hbar ^2j(J+1)|\Psi\rangle
\end{equation}
$$

$$
\begin{equation}
J_\pm=J_x\pm iJ_y
\end{equation}
$$

$$
\begin{equation}
J^2 = (J_1)^2 + (J_2)^2 + 2(J_1\cdot J_2)
\end{equation}
$$$$
\begin{equation}
J_1 \cdot J_2 = J_{1x}J_{2x} + J_{1y}J_{2y} + J_{1z}J_{2z}
\end{equation}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to use (2) to write (4) in terms of the ladder operators so I can prove the left hand side of (8) does work out to be the right hand side. Re-writing (4) gives me:$$
\begin{equation}
J_1 \cdot J_2 = J_{1\pm}J_{2\pm} \mp i J_{2y}J_{1\pm} \mp i J_{1y}J_{2\pm} + J_{1z}J_{2z}
\end{equation}
$$

I know how ##J_{\pm}## and ##J_z## act on ##|\Psi\rangle## however I don't know how ##J_y## acts on ##|\Psi\rangle## Can someone tell what I can do to the ##J_y## terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve (2) for both ##J_x## and ##J_y## by computing ##J_+ \pm J_-##.

Ah great. Thanks!

Related to Ladder operators to prove eigenstates of total angular momen

1. What is the concept of ladder operators in quantum mechanics?

Ladder operators in quantum mechanics are mathematical operators used to describe the behavior of quantum systems. They are used to generate new eigenstates and eigenvalues from existing ones and play a crucial role in the study of angular momentum in quantum systems.

2. How do ladder operators prove eigenstates of total angular momentum?

Ladder operators for angular momentum are defined as the raising and lowering operators that act on the eigenstates of the total angular momentum. By applying these operators, we can generate new states with different angular momentum values, proving the existence of the eigenstates.

3. What is the significance of eigenstates of total angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

Eigenstates of total angular momentum are important in quantum mechanics because they represent the allowed states of a particle with a specific angular momentum value. These states have unique quantum numbers and can be used to describe the behavior of particles in a quantum system.

4. How do ladder operators for angular momentum relate to the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum and vice versa. Ladder operators for angular momentum play a role in this principle by showing that the more precisely we know the angular momentum of a particle, the less we know about its orientation in space.

5. Can ladder operators be used to find the energy spectrum of a quantum system?

Yes, ladder operators can be used to find the energy spectrum of a quantum system by applying them to the Hamiltonian operator. This allows us to determine the possible energy levels and corresponding eigenstates of the system.