What are Some Units I'm Studying in Grade XI Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of acceleration and its units in physics. The student is struggling to understand the unit [Kg][Meter][Second]^{-3} and is looking for a name for the magnitude of acceleration. The conversation also mentions a unit called "yank" and the student is seeking help from others to understand the concept better.
XuryaX
I am studying in Grade XI and have started with physics. Its very different from physics in last grade. So here are my questions about few units my tution teacher challenged everyone about.

Homework Statement

i)What is the name of the unit
[tex][Kg][Meter][Second]^{-3}[/tex] - We may write it as Force/Time.. but

ii) What is [tex]|Acceleration|[/tex]

Homework Equations

i) By doing dimensional analysis we get [tex][M][L][T]^{-3}[/tex] , we may also call this Force/Time. Couldn't find anything bout this unit.

ii)
[tex]|Vector| = Scalar[/tex]
[tex]|Displacement|=Distance[/tex]
[tex]|Velocity|=Speed[/tex]
[tex]|Acceleration| =?[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The above is my try, couldn't do anything further.

Thanks for help.

-XuryaX

Physics news on Phys.org
XuryaX said:
I am studying in Grade XI and have started with physics. Its very different from physics in last grade. So here are my questions about few units my tution teacher challenged everyone about.

Homework Statement

i)What is the name of the unit
[tex][Kg][Meter][Second]^{-3}[/tex] - We may write it as Force/Time.. but

ii) What is [tex]|Acceleration|[/tex]

Homework Equations

i) By doing dimensional analysis we get [tex][M][L][T]^{-3}[/tex] , we may also call this Force/Time. Couldn't find anything bout this unit.

ii)
[tex]|Vector| = Scalar[/tex]
[tex]|Displacement|=Distance[/tex]
[tex]|Velocity|=Speed[/tex]
[tex]|Acceleration| =?[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The above is my try, couldn't do anything further.

Thanks for help.

-XuryaX

Acceleration is the change in velocity over time

Below is a unit called yank which I googled. Its units are defined as kgms-3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yank_(physics )

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mate for Yank.
I thought it will be force per unit time and change of speed per unit time.
Buit since there is a name for 1, there must be a name for the other one topo (Scalar name of acceleration), will keep searching, and hope some help frm u guys 2.
anyways, since i don't think my tutor will give something that doesn't exist, there must be a name for mod of acceleration.

Related to What are Some Units I'm Studying in Grade XI Physics?

1. What are the different types of units used in science?

There are three main types of units used in science: length, mass, and time. Length is measured in meters, mass in grams, and time in seconds. These are known as base units and are used to derive other units of measurement.

2. How do scientists convert between different units?

To convert between units, scientists use conversion factors. These are ratios that relate two different units of measurement. For example, to convert meters to centimeters, you would multiply the number of meters by 100.

3. What is the difference between SI units and imperial units?

SI units, or the International System of Units, is a modern version of the metric system used in most countries around the world. Imperial units, on the other hand, are the traditional units of measurement used in the United States and some other countries, such as feet, pounds, and ounces.

4. Why is it important for scientists to use standard units of measurement?

Using standard units of measurement allows scientists to communicate their findings accurately and efficiently. It also ensures consistency and reproducibility in experiments, making it easier for other scientists to replicate and build upon previous research.

5. Are there any units of measurement that are specific to certain scientific fields?

Yes, there are many units of measurement that are specific to different scientific fields. For example, physicists use units such as joules and newtons, while chemists use units like moles and liters. It is important for scientists to use the appropriate units for their specific field of study.