Meaning of physical quantities and division

The passage seems to be saying that the cos(theta) factor is not needed in the definition of radiance, but it is needed to convert from radiance to irradiance. It's a bit confusingly written, but that's my best guess.In summary, the conversation discusses questions about speed, acceleration, and irradiance units in the context of computer graphics. The mentor provides explanations for calculating speed and acceleration, and the concept of multiplication in physics. They also clarify the meaning of the cos(theta) factor in the formula for irradiance.
Pilpellon
I read this interesting thread trying to find an answer to my questions (and I got even more confused). I study radiometry units in context of computer graphics.
I have a few questions, starting from the basic ones:
1. Following AlexS's note, why is speed=distance/time and not distance*time?
2. Following the definition of speed, as in speed = how much distance passed for some time, I still get confused sometimes when power operators come in, for example acceleration = distance / seconds^2, or even worse when force=kg*m/s^2. Is it possible to straight on understand the logic of the conjunction of all these units?
3. In my book, they say that differential irradiance=radiance*differential solid angle*cos(theta). Say I did get the meaning of division in physics (how much x for y, kinda..), but what does multiplication mean? Aside from the fact in order to get the irradiance unit correct, the radiance must be multiplied by a solid angle, but what does that multiplication mean?
[Mentor's note: One unrelated question moved to its own thread]

I know some of these questions might sound silly to you, but they have been in my head for a long time, so straightforward answers will sure help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pilpellon said:
why is speed=distance/time and not distance*time?
More time for same distance is faster or slower?

Likes Pilpellon
Pilpellon said:
I read this interesting thread trying to find an answer to my questions (and I got even more confused). I study radiometry units in context of computer graphics.
I have a few questions, starting from the basic ones:
1. Following AlexS's note, why is speed=distance/time and not distance*time?
2. Following the definition of speed, as in speed = how much distance passed for some time, I still get confused sometimes when power operators come in, for example acceleration = distance / seconds^2, or even worse when force=kg*m/s^2. Is it possible to straight on understand the logic of the conjunction of all these units?
3. In my book, they say that differential irradiance=radiance*differential solid angle*cos(theta). Say I did get the meaning of division in physics (how much x for y, kinda..), but what does multiplication mean? Aside from the fact in order to get the irradiance unit correct, the radiance must be multiplied by a solid angle, but what does that multiplication mean?
[Mentor's note: One unrelated question moved to its own thread]

I know some of these questions might sound silly to you, but they have been in my head for a long time, so straightforward answers will sure help.

1. Calculating speed as distance traveled / time taken allows you to work out useful things like how long the object will take to go a certain distance, or how far it will go in a certain time.

If an object travels 20 metres in 5 seconds, it's (average) speed is 20 / 5 = 4 metres per second.

This is easy to understand intuitively: every second the object will travel 4 metres. Therefore if you know how many seconds, you can calculate how many metres.

You wouldn't be able to do this with distance traveled x time taken. It wouldn't give you a useable quantity. To have a quantity that's useable in equations you need to reduce one of the values to 1 (in this case it's time, i.e. 1 second).

Likes Pilpellon
2. If you understand speed as discussed above, you should be ready to understand acceleration.

You can quantify a change in speed as how much the speed changes per second.

For example, if an object's speed changes from 0 m / s to 27 m / s in 8 seconds, every second the speed increase will be 27 / 8 = 3.375 m / s on average.

This rate of change of speed is called acceleration.

Acceleration is how much m / s changes per second. This can be written as m / s / s.

Simple laws of mathematics (powers) tell us that m / s / s = (m / s) x (1 / s) = m / s^2, so we can use that form as an alternative for writing the unit of acceleration.

Knowing acceleration allows us to calculate what the speed would be after, say, 100 seconds, starting from rest and assuming acceleration is constant:

100 s x 3.375 m / s^2 = 337.5 m / s.

Likes Pilpellon
3. I have no idea of this stuff, so I'll leave it there. :)

Pilpellon said:
3. In my book, they say that differential irradiance=radiance*differential solid angle*cos(theta). Say I did get the meaning of division in physics (how much x for y, kinda..), but what does multiplication mean?
Multiplication is easy. If you have ten grapes that mass three grams per grape then you have thirty grams of grapes. 10*3 = 30.

Now back to the irradiance = radiance * differential solid angle * cos(theta)...

If you have an light bulb with a radiance of 3 Watts per steradian hitting your handkerchief and you crumple the handkerchief so that it covers a solid angle that is 0.01 steradians less than before then that's 0.03 Watts less of irradiance. But only if the light is hitting square on. If the handkerchief was rotated 60 degrees then it's only getting effectively illuminated at half intensity [cos(60 degrees) = 0.5]. So reducing its solid angle by 0.01 steradians will only reduce the irradiance by half as much, that is, by 3 * 0.01 * cos(60) = 0.015 Watts.

Note that this formula is either wrong or misinterpreted. Hard to tell without context. If you rotate your hanky by 60 degrees, the solid angle it subtends is already reduced by the factor of 0.5. There is no need to multiply by an additional factor of cos(theta). Doing so would be accounting for the same effect twice.

Likes Pilpellon
It's from the book Real-Time Rendering.
Image.jpg

Does it help understanding why the cos(theta) is there?

Yes, that passage makes it clear that "irradiance" is measured per unit of surface area. There is a factor of cos(theta) ratio between incremental surface area and incremental subtended solid angle.

Related to Meaning of physical quantities and division

What is the meaning of physical quantities?

The meaning of physical quantities refers to the measurable properties of objects or substances in the physical world. These quantities can include length, time, mass, temperature, and more.

What is division in terms of physical quantities?

Division in terms of physical quantities is a mathematical operation that involves separating a quantity into equal parts. This can be used to calculate ratios, rates, and other relationships between physical quantities.

How are physical quantities divided?

Physical quantities can be divided using a variety of methods, depending on the specific quantities involved. For example, length can be divided using a ruler or measuring tape, while time can be divided using a clock or stopwatch.

Why is it important to understand the meaning of physical quantities and division?

Understanding the meaning of physical quantities and division is important for accurate scientific measurement and calculations. It allows scientists to communicate and compare their findings and ensures that experiments are conducted with precision and accuracy.

What are some common examples of physical quantities and division in science?

Some common examples of physical quantities and division in science include calculating the speed of an object by dividing distance by time, finding the density of a substance by dividing mass by volume, and determining the acceleration of an object by dividing change in velocity by change in time.