What are some topics in computability?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topics
In summary, the conversation is about choosing a topic for a presentation related to Computability. The topics suggested include original Turing's paper, Matiyasevich's solution, quantum computations, arithmetical hierarchy, Kolmogorov complexity, probabilistic computations, approximate solutions of NP-complete problems, interactive proof systems, and cryptography. The topic of the Church-Turing Thesis is also mentioned, which is directly related to computability. The topic of "Approximate solutions of NP-complete problems" is recommended to be researched further. The difficulty level of the topics varies and it is suggested to choose a topic that excites the individual. Program verification and circuit complexity are also mentioned as potential topics, with program verification being a personal favorite.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! :eek:

I am taking the course Computability and at the end of the semester each student will have a presentation about a topic that is related to Computability.

Could you give some examples of topics?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are the topics that I offered at the end of a course on Theory of Computation.

• The original Turing's paper where he introduced Turing machines and proved that the halting problem is undecidable [1, 2].
  • Matiyasevich's solution to the 10th Hilbert's problem.
  • Quantum computations.
  • Arithmetical hierarchy,
  • Kolmogorov complexity.
  • Probabilistic computations.
  • Approximate solutions of NP-complete problems.
  • Interactive proof systems.
  • Cryptography.

[1] On computable numbers, with an application to the Entscheidungsproblem.
Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society., s2-42 (1), 1937.
URL: On Computable Numbers, with an Application to the Entscheidungsproblem.

[2] Turing A. On computable numbers, with an application to the Entscheidungsproblem: A correction.
Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society, s2-43 (1), 1938.
URL: Sign In

Edit: The links are parsed despite checking off the "Automatically parse links in text" box. I give up.

Last edited:
How is Cryptography related to Computability?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
How is Cryptography related to Computability??
One needs to prove that the operation of decrypting has a certain lower bound on complexity. I agree, this is more about computational complexity rather than computability (the study of what is computable), but both of these topics are usually a part of a course on the theory computation.

While I was looking for topics I came across the Church-Turing-Thesis.

Could you give me some information about that?? Is this related to Computability?? Is this a good topic for a presentation?? (Wondering)

Could you also give me some information about "Approximate solutions of NP-complete problems"?? (Wondering)

Why are you using several question marks? And why are you using smilies after serious questions? Does this mean I should take them with a grain of salt?

mathmari said:
While I was looking for topics I came across the Church-Turing-Thesis.

Could you give me some information about that?? Is this related to Computability?? Is this a good topic for a presentation??
Yes, it is directly related to computability. You could start by reading Wikipedia. This thesis is an statement about the informal, intuitive concept of computability; thus, it cannot be proved. But it is given support by theorems that establish equivalence of different models of computation: Turing machines, recursive functions, lambda calculus, Markov algorithms and so on. In a presentation, you could either talk about those theorems or about the philosophical reasons for the thesis. I believe one of Turing's papers, maybe the one I quoted, discusses why any physically realizable universal computing device should resemble Turing machine. At first glance, Turing machine may seem somewhat restricted and there is a possibility that a more complicated and powerful machine can be built. But the article shows that Turing machine already has the features that you can expect from any other computer.

mathmari said:
Could you also give me some information about "Approximate solutions of NP-complete problems"??
I recommend referring to the https://driven2services.com/staging/mh/index.php?posts/65491/ I cited previously.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
One needs to prove that the operation of decrypting has a certain lower bound on complexity. I agree, this is more about computational complexity rather than computability (the study of what is computable), but both of these topics are usually a part of a course on the theory computation.
OK... This semester I am taking the course of Cryptography. Do you think it is a good idea to take this topic or would it be better if I had taken Cryptography in the past so that I would haver seen the whole subject and then do a presentation about that? How much knowledge is required? Do you think this one of the difficult or the easy topics?

mathmari said:
OK... This semester I am taking the course of Cryptography. Do you think it is a good idea to take this topic or would it be better if I had taken Cryptography in the past so that I would haver seen the whole subject and then do a presentation about that? How much knowledge is required? Do you think this one of the difficult or the easy topics?

It depends what the subject is about exactly. If it's "introduction to cryptography" it will probably have basically nothing to do with computability and will be more about the older pen and paper ciphers, using group theory and linear algebra to break them and so on, with maybe a chapter at the end touching on public-key systems and their relation to various P/NP problems (such as the knapsack cryptosystem). If it's something more advanced, then you'll encounter formal definitions of security and formal computational hardness proofs, composability, security conditional on hardness assumptions and so on.

Bacterius said:
It depends what the subject is about exactly. If it's "introduction to cryptography" it will probably have basically nothing to do with computability and will be more about the older pen and paper ciphers, using group theory and linear algebra to break them and so on, with maybe a chapter at the end touching on public-key systems and their relation to various P/NP problems (such as the knapsack cryptosystem). If it's something more advanced, then you'll encounter formal definitions of security and formal computational hardness proofs, composability, security conditional on hardness assumptions and so on.

Ok... :)

- - - Updated - - -

What do you think about the topics of program verification and circuit complexity?

I don't have any experience in either but it sounds cool. If it excites you, do it!

I am still looking for a topic... Now I found Ackermann’s Function. What do you think about this topic? Could you give me some information about it?

mathmari said:
What do you think about the topics of program verification and circuit complexity?
Personally, program verification is one of my favorite topics, not to mention its importance in the real world, even though it is still developing. I like dealing with high-level programming languages, and seeing formal methods apply to programs that I could actually have written in order to prove them correct is cool. It is both mathematical and practical.

I don't have much experience with circuit complexity, but to me it is the opposite: very low level. I don't get excited about ANDs and ORs the same way I get excited about programs in Java, Haskell or Prolog. But it's as valid CS and math topic as any. And it may be applicable to chip design.

I forgot that you are looking for a presentation topic, not a course to take. In this case the commitment is significantly less.

mathmari said:
I am still looking for a topic... Now I found Ackermann’s Function. What do you think about this topic? Could you give me some information about it?
Ackermann’s function is a recursive function of two arguments that grows very fast. The first argument gives the level, so ti speak: first it's adding 1, then addition, then multiplication, exponentiation, iterated exponentiation and so on. As the first argument increases, it becomes faster and faster growing. Eventually it surpasses every so called primitive recursive functions (PRF). The class of PRF includes almost all functions used in real life, so Ackermann’s function is an examples of something different. Other than that, it is not really interesting, as far as I know.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Ackermann’s function is a recursive function of two arguments that grows very fast. The first argument gives the level, so ti speak: first it's adding 1, then addition, then multiplication, exponentiation, iterated exponentiation and so on. As the first argument increases, it becomes faster and faster growing. Eventually it surpasses every so called primitive recursive functions (PRF). The class of PRF includes almost all functions used in real life, so Ackermann’s function is an examples of something different.

What book would you recommend me for this topic? Are there any survey articles?

mathmari said:
What book would you recommend me for this topic? Are there any survey articles?
I don't have anything off the top of my head. You should start with primitive recursive functions. Look at Wikipedia references for both topics. Math Stack Exchange has some recommendations.

In fact, if I remember correctly, a classic book, in particular, on PRF is "Recursive Functions" by Rózsa Péter. It should talk about Ackermann function, but I don't have it at the moment to check.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
  • Quantum computations.
  • Arithmetical hierarchy,
  • Kolmogorov complexity.

Are these topics suitable for a master thesis?

Have you heard of the Speed-Up theorem?

Related to What are some topics in computability?

1. What is computability theory?

Computability theory is a branch of theoretical computer science that deals with the study of what can and cannot be computed by various models of computation. It explores the fundamental limitations and capabilities of computers and algorithms, and how these limitations affect the design and implementation of computer systems.

2. What are some examples of topics in computability?

Some examples of topics in computability include the Church-Turing thesis, Turing machines, recursive and recursively enumerable languages, undecidable problems, and the halting problem. Other related topics include computable functions, computable sets, and the concept of decidability.

3. How does computability theory relate to other fields of computer science?

Computability theory is closely related to other fields of computer science, such as automata theory, complexity theory, and algorithmic information theory. It provides a theoretical foundation for understanding the capabilities and limitations of computers, which is essential in the design and analysis of algorithms and computer systems.

4. Why is computability theory important?

Computability theory has practical applications in computer science, particularly in the study of algorithmic complexity and the development of efficient algorithms. It also has implications for fields such as artificial intelligence and philosophy of mind, as it addresses fundamental questions about the nature and limits of computation.

5. Are there any real-world applications of computability theory?

While most applications of computability theory are theoretical in nature, there are some real-world applications in areas such as cryptography, programming language design, and the verification of software correctness. Additionally, the insights gained from computability theory have helped shape the development of modern computing technology and its applications in various industries.