What are some tips for getting involved in undergraduate research in physics?

• Thread starter exohuman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the individual is considering switching from a practical and career-based path in electrical engineering to physics because of their love for physics and astronomy. They hope to pursue a PhD and get involved in undergraduate research, but are uncertain about their prospects due to their past academic performance and lack of support from their current advisors. They also express difficulty in understanding introductory physics concepts and seek advice on how to improve. They plan to take more advanced physics courses in hopes of gaining confidence and understanding in the subject.
exohuman
I am switching from the practical and career based path of EE to physics because I really love physics and astronomy and think it would be great to go and get a PhD whether or not I end up pursuing any sort of academic research. I realize how hard it is to go that path.

But my EE research advisors were pretty down on that career path. I really want to get involved in undergrad research not only because I need to for grad school but because I find it much more fun than just taking classes. However, going to a large public university I don't know how easy or difficult that will be. I personally kind of feel that undergrad research should just part of the program because you don't learn to do science by just taking courses. The fact I already had a position in an EE lab is great but I am really pretty sure EE stuff doesn't interest me very much.

However, when I talked to advisors about research they kind of brush it off as "maybe later" and don't really want to talk about it or don't see it as important. I meeting with some new advisors in a few weeks but I don't know how that would differ. Essentially I am unsure if I want to go into Physics unless I can definitely get involved in some research on campus. I'd try for REU's by my shoddy academic past and bland demographics probably make that a very very long shot.

Combine that with the fact that I decided to review Intro Physics material to get ready for next semester and just in general feel horrible about how much I forgot and how a simple conceptual question could trip me up.. I feel like I get better at things as they become more abstract and for some reason I kind of suck at Intro Mechanics, or at least I feel like it should come to me much easier than it does. Like if I went back to Calc I level book it would be trivially easy. What does this mean about me and my prospects in high level physics?

I really wish I had some real people to talk about but I have found the senior people on here to get some really amazing advice at time so I am hoping for some of that I guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
exohuman said:
However, going to a large public university I don't know how easy or difficult that will be.

Only one way to find out...

However, when I talked to advisors about research they kind of brush it off as "maybe later" and don't really want to talk about it or don't see it as important.

Sounds like you are talking to the wrong advisors. I never had anyone brush off the importance of research in one's physics career at any level.

What does this mean about me and my prospects in high level physics?

It means you'll have to study, perhaps a bit harder than the rest. If you "love" physics, it shouldn't be too much of a chore.

Getting research can be very difficult.

fss said:
It means you'll have to study, perhaps a bit harder than the rest. If you "love" physics, it shouldn't be too much of a chore.

Could I be doing something wrong? Do people more advanced get tripped up on easy stuff? Or is there some sort of flaw in how I learned it? I mean I can successfully do most of the "challenge" problems from the book I am using but some times I really feel bad about myself when it takes me like 10-20 minutes to do a problem I feel like I should know cold? And a few of the challenge problems here and there I haven't been able to complete on my own.

Like I said if I went back to first semester Calculus to review I feel like I'd feel much stronger on that material. Is that sort of math just inherently easier? Could it be that I haven't had to use physics in many of my other classes while Calculus is key in almost everything I've taken since?

So far I've only taken Physics I & II and we be refreshing my knowledge over the next few months. After taking a few more semesters of advanced physics classes will I start to get that confidence I have in math in Physics? I feel like the way Intro Physics is taught is sort of broken. I'm taking Modern Physics next semester and hope I that will sure up my Knowledge of intro stuff and introduce me a bit more to what the pace and tone of real physics courses are.

Anyone?

exohuman said:
So far I've only taken Physics I & II

Then the 'maybe later' advice is probably sound. You can't really start research when you're still at the very start of your knowledge. I also wouldn't decide what your major is based on whether or not you can 'definitely get undergraduate research'. It's potentially a life-long career changer, don't base it on something so small.

exohuman said:
After taking a few more semesters of advanced physics classes will I start to get that confidence I have in math in Physics?

Well, hopefully. I don't know how you expect anyone to actually give an answer to this. Work hard and hopefully you'll gain a good understanding. If you do, then hopefully you'll also gain confidence.

Related to What are some tips for getting involved in undergraduate research in physics?

What is undergraduate research in physics?

Undergraduate research in physics involves conducting scientific investigations and experiments in various areas of physics under the guidance of a faculty member or research mentor. It allows undergraduate students to gain hands-on experience and contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge.

Why should I get involved in undergraduate research in physics?

Participating in undergraduate research in physics can provide valuable experience and skills that can enhance your academic and professional development. It also allows for networking opportunities and can make you a more competitive candidate for graduate school or future employment in the field of physics.

How do I find undergraduate research opportunities in physics?

One way to find research opportunities is by reaching out to faculty members in the physics department at your university and expressing your interest in research. You can also search for research programs and internships offered by universities or organizations, and attend conferences or workshops related to physics.

What skills and qualifications do I need for undergraduate research in physics?

While specific skills and qualifications may vary depending on the research project, some common requirements for undergraduate research in physics include a strong foundation in physics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Previous coursework in mathematics and programming can also be beneficial.

What can I expect from a research experience in physics?

Undergraduate research in physics can involve a variety of tasks, such as conducting experiments, analyzing data, and presenting results. You can also expect to learn new techniques and gain a deeper understanding of a specific area of physics. It is also an opportunity to develop time management and organizational skills, as well as improve your communication and presentation skills.