What are some recurring themes in the career of a retired software developer?

• Thread starter daboulet
  • Start date
In summary, the career of a retired software developer often involves themes of adaptability, constant learning, and problem-solving. As technology rapidly evolves, retired software developers must be able to adapt and learn new skills in order to stay relevant in the field. They also often face the challenge of constantly solving complex problems and finding innovative solutions. Additionally, many retired software developers reflect on the importance of teamwork, communication, and time management throughout their careers. Overall, the career of a retired software developer is marked by a dedication to continuous growth and a passion for creating and improving technology.
daboulet
I'm a retired software developer*.

Some recurring themes of sorts that seem to have kept popping up over the course of my career have been distributed computing, software architecture, and software as infrastructure (i.e. software that provides a useful service without providing anything even remotely resembling an end-user interface; put another way, infrastructure software is APIs all the way down). Along the way, I have managed to create a respectable amount of kernel-level software and other difficult to characterise 'stuff'.

I also lectured in Computing Science for about four years fairly early in my career and found myself presenting and sometimes writing various customer training courses (everything from introduction for new users to kernel internals) on a contract basis for a really large software company with a three-letter acronym (I have been known to observe that they were a very good travel agent of sorts).

* that means that I still create software but there's no ongoing revenue stream and my toy budget is a fair bit smaller.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
While I will probably comment on software topics from time to time, students looking for my help with their CS homework are likely to be disappointed.