What are some recommended analysis textbooks that complement Rudin's PMA?

In summary, a college sophomore with double majors in mathematics and microbiology is seeking recommendations for an introductory analysis textbook that complements Rudin's PMA. They have completed Calculus II and have been self-studying linear algebra and mathematical proof. They are considering studying Apostol/Spivak over the summer but ultimately decide to focus on Rudin's PMA and two other analysis textbooks. Of the options listed, the advisers recommend Apostol's Mathematical Analysis and Pugh's textbook for their detailed proofs and challenging problems. The other listed books are not recommended due to being too easy or not as comprehensive.
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum advisers,

I am a college sophomore with double majors in mathematics and microbiology. I wrote this email to seek your recommendation on selecting the introductory analysis textbook, particularly one that complement with Rudin's PMA well. Starting on this Fall, I will be taking Analysis I course, which uses Rudin's PMA. I will be finishing Calculus II (text: Calculus with Analytic Geometry, George Simmon; computational), and I also have been studying linear algebra (Serge Lang's Introduction to LA) and mathematical proof (Chartrand) book independently and will complete both subjects by mid-May. I was thinking studying Apostol/Spivak during Summer to prepare for Analysis I but I thought it would be best to just enter the analysis with Rudin's PMA and other analysis textbooks since it will be impossible to finish Apostol/Spivak during Summer and that time can be better spent on Rudin's PMA and others. I have enough money to purchase two other analysis textbooks that can complement Rudin's PMA well and help me to learn the analysis. My mind is on Apostol (Mathematical Analysis), Pugh, Ross, Strichartz, Lang, and Abbott, but I am not sure of their contents...unfortunately, those books have been either checked out or in hold at my university's math library. Please give me recommendation of two analysis textbooks that can supplement Rudin's PMA well!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Apostol's Mathematical Analysis is a very good complement to Rudin. It is at a similar level of sophistication but it has more detailed proofs and better coverage of several important topics such as Fourier series.

Of the other ones you listed, I would recommend Pugh, mainly for its excellent, huge collection of challenging problems. His chapter on metric space topology in particular is very good, with over 100 non-trivial exercises, whereas Rudin's treatment of this important topic is rather spare. I don't like Pugh's writing style very much though; I find it too loose and sloppy. But a lot of people like it, so check it out if you can.

The other books, Ross, Strichartz, and Abbott, are all probably too easy for you at this point. Lang's book is nice and it covers a lot of interesting material that is not in Rudin, but I would not recommend it over Apostol or Pugh for your purposes.

Related to What are some recommended analysis textbooks that complement Rudin's PMA?

1. What is the "Supplement to Rudin's PMA"?

The "Supplement to Rudin's PMA" refers to the Supplement to the Principles of Mathematical Analysis, a textbook written by Walter Rudin. This supplement serves as a companion to the original textbook, providing additional explanations, examples, and exercises to further enhance the reader's understanding of the subject matter.

2. Who is the author of "Supplement to Rudin's PMA"?

The author of "Supplement to Rudin's PMA" is Walter Rudin, a renowned mathematician and professor who has written numerous textbooks and research papers in the field of analysis. He is best known for his contributions to functional analysis and complex analysis.

3. Is the "Supplement to Rudin's PMA" suitable for self-study?

Yes, the "Supplement to Rudin's PMA" can be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to use it alongside the original textbook, as the supplement builds upon the concepts and material covered in the main text. Additionally, having a background in mathematical analysis would be helpful in understanding the material.

4. What topics are covered in the "Supplement to Rudin's PMA"?

The "Supplement to Rudin's PMA" covers a range of topics in mathematical analysis, including elementary point-set topology, Lebesgue measure and integration, and basic functional analysis. It also includes additional topics such as harmonic functions and Brownian motion.

5. Who would benefit from using the "Supplement to Rudin's PMA"?

The "Supplement to Rudin's PMA" is primarily aimed at advanced undergraduate and graduate students in mathematics, as well as researchers and professionals working in the field of analysis. However, anyone with a strong mathematical background and interest in the subject matter could benefit from using this supplement.