What are some open summer programs for aspiring scientists in New York?

• Thread starter alex caps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary, the junior was rejected from NASASHARP because they want underrepresented ethnic groups and the white person does not fit that description. They suggest looking into summer programs and contacting professors if there are any residential ones.
alex caps
I am a junior and I had been applying to the NASASHARP internship. I was declined due to the fact that they want under-represented ethnic groups, and I happen to be white.. Anyway, I live in New York and would really like to work in a lab or as an intern this summer. I would love to make it out to california, but honestly, it isn't a huge deal where I go. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for summer programs still open? Also, I am interested strongly in chemistry, if that helps.. Please let me know what you think, I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tough break, mate. Doesn't help that you're sort of late into the game either...
Here's a website that lists a LOT of summer programs, you might want to look through it:http://sciserv.org/stp/ and cross your fingers that some will still take you. If nothing available strikes your fancy, look up the nearest university and see if they have anything you can do there (feel free to email profs too, it can't hurt). And if you have any connections in this way USE IT! The first research job I ever got at a local uni was through a professor whose husband was friends with my dad, and I just happened to exploit that connection.
Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
alex caps said:
I am a junior and I had been applying to the NASASHARP internship. I was declined due to the fact that they want under-represented ethnic groups, and I happen to be white..

It's funny, I talk to people who make decisions about this sort of thing (admissions, scholarships, etc.) and they tell me that ethnicity is very rarely the deciding factor, yet I've heard countless stories from white men who claim to have lost something due to an affirmative action-like policy. I'm starting to suspect sour grapes every time somebody tells me something like this...

SpaceTiger said:
It's funny, I talk to people who make decisions about this sort of thing (admissions, scholarships, etc.) and they tell me that ethnicity is very rarely the deciding factor, yet I've heard countless stories from white men who claim to have lost something due to an affirmative action-like policy. I'm starting to suspect sour grapes every time somebody tells me something like this...

This has been copied from the NASASHARP application:

NASA SHARP is specifically designed to attract and increase underrepresented * students’ participation and success rates in mathematics and science
courses, as well as to encourage career paths that help build a pool of underrepresented science and engineering professionals in the work place. However,
all talented high school students are encouraged to apply.

and

* “Underrepresented” refers to racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the Science, Technology, Engineering, or
Mathematics (STEM) professions relative to the size of the population at large. This term may encompass Blacks or African Americans,
American Indians or Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians or Other Pacific Islanders, and Hispanics or Latinos.

Also, the letter they sent me notifying me of my rejection sounded very similar...

Anyway, I have been doing a lot of aerogel research in last 8 months and have been talking a lot with professors and researchers at MIT, NASA's JPL and GRC, and a few other places.. I know that Bekeley Labs offer a bunch of summer programs, but I don't know if any are residential, because that is the only way I would be able to head out there.. I emailed them, as well as a few others, but if any of you have other ideas please let me know, thanks.

Related to What are some open summer programs for aspiring scientists in New York?

1. What kind of help can I receive for this summer?

There are various types of help available for the summer, such as tutoring, summer school, internships, and camps. It depends on your specific needs and goals for the summer.

2. How can I find resources for summer help?

You can start by researching online or asking your school or local community for recommendations. There are also websites and organizations specifically dedicated to connecting students with summer help opportunities.

3. Is summer help only for academic subjects?

No, summer help can also include assistance with extracurricular activities, such as music, sports, or art. There are also programs that focus on developing life skills and leadership abilities.

4. Do I have to pay for summer help?

It depends on the type of help you are seeking. Some programs and resources may be free, while others may require payment. Scholarships and financial aid may also be available for certain programs.

5. When should I start looking for summer help?

It's recommended to start researching and applying for summer help at least a few months in advance. Some programs and opportunities have early deadlines, so it's best to plan ahead and give yourself enough time to prepare.