What Are Some Inexpensive Physics Experiments to Revive a University Club?

In summary, some cool and inexpensive experiment ideas for resurrecting a physics club at a university include the dry ice smoke ring generator, determining the speed of light using marshmallows and a microwave, experimenting with the Mpemba effect, and creating spectra using simple materials. These experiments can be found on various websites and are sure to boost attendance and provide fun for all.
VanOosten
Me and a couple friends are trying to resurrect the old physics club at my university and could use some cool inexpensive experiment ideas to try and boost attendance and have some fun. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
One of my favorite experiments is determining the speed of light (within about 5% or so) using marshmallows and a microwave oven. I mean how cool is that!

Look at the "Cavity Resonance" method of determining the speed of light on the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light

The experiment is described nicely right here:

http://www.physics.umd.edu/icpe/newsletters/n34/marshmal.htm

Another interesting one to play with is the Mpemba effect. Hot water can freeze before room temperature water. Nobody totally understands all the factors involved, but it's a fun one to experiment with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect

Also goes to show how we shouldn't assume something just because it makes sense to us, or seems intuitively correct.

I'm going to try and take spectra of things using a CD or DVD, a box, two razor blades and a tube from a toilet paper roll. Should be fun!

great ideas guys thanks for the help

try raising the dead.

Lacy33 said:
try raising the dead.

You crack me up, Lacy :smile:

Related to What Are Some Inexpensive Physics Experiments to Revive a University Club?

1. What are some examples of cool physics experiments?

Some examples of cool physics experiments include the double-slit experiment, the Bernoulli's principle experiment, the Galileo's inclined plane experiment, the Newton's cradle experiment, and the Schrödinger's cat experiment.

2. What materials are needed for a physics experiment?

The materials needed for a physics experiment will vary depending on the specific experiment. However, common materials include rulers, protractors, magnets, batteries, wires, bulbs, lenses, mirrors, and various household items such as water, balloons, and food coloring.

3. How can I make physics experiments more fun and engaging?

To make physics experiments more fun and engaging, try incorporating hands-on activities, interactive demonstrations, or visual aids such as videos or animations. You can also challenge yourself by modifying the experiment or coming up with your own hypotheses to test.

4. What are the benefits of doing physics experiments?

There are many benefits to doing physics experiments, including developing critical thinking skills, honing problem-solving abilities, and gaining a better understanding of scientific principles and concepts. Additionally, performing experiments can be a fun and exciting way to learn about the world around us.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when doing physics experiments?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when conducting physics experiments. Make sure to read and follow all instructions carefully, wear appropriate protective gear, and have adult supervision if necessary. Also, be cautious when working with electricity, chemicals, or any potentially hazardous materials.