What interesting/unique foods have you had recently?

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
In summary: What are you looking for specifically? I'm looking for information on pre-colombian sauces or salsas made using the cumil beetles.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone! I recall a while back a Food Thread here on PF, and wanted to revive a similar thread here. I was hoping if you could share your experience with any interesting or unique foods that any of you have had -- either food you have had in a restaurant, food that you have prepared and/or prepared by friends/family.

I'll start here. A couple of months ago, I had the great pleasure of trying Malaysian Assam Laksa at a restaurant near where I live. Here is a picture from the restaurant website:

AssamLaksa.jpg

Likes Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure of how to think of the quality of the question, "unique" foods may be at best not too unique in whatever neighborhood where you find the food. Have you done some traveling to less-well known places and found some items which you have no familiarity? Have you maybe watched some cooking/culinary adventure t.v. programs? Have you learned about anything like pre-colombian sauces or salsas made using the cumil beetles? They supposedly have a cinnamon-like flavor. I myself found a way to add sauces and spices to eggs to cook them into something like an omelette, mainly because I otherwise do not like to eat eggs; but now I know I can jazz-up the egg and turn it into something different than how most people know to make.

Likes StatGuy2000
Hariri

StatGuy2000 said:
Hi everyone! I recall a while back a Food Thread here on PF, and wanted to revive a similar thread here. I was hoping if you could share your experience with any interesting or unique foods that any of you have had -- either food you have had in a restaurant, food that you have prepared and/or prepared by friends/family.

I'll start here. A couple of months ago, I had the great pleasure of trying Malaysian Assam Laksa at a restaurant near where I live. Here is a picture from the restaurant website:

View attachment 248233

Asam laksa is a version of laksa from the northern state of Penang. As someone who is quite familiar with this dish, I must say that your photo does not look anyway like what I know to be it. What did they use for noodles?

BTW, the other version of "laksa" is from the southern state of Johore, which most people are not that familiar with. This one is my favorite, but then, I'm biased.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Asam laksa is a version of laksa from the northern state of Penang. As someone who is quite familiar with this dish, I must say that your photo does not look anyway like what I know to be it. What did they use for noodles?

BTW, the other version of "laksa" is from the southern state of Johore, which most people are not that familiar with. This one is my favorite, but then, I'm biased.

Zz.

I'm not an expert on identifying the noodles, but I believe they used thick wheat noodles (similar to Japanese udon) at the restaurant. I have read elsewhere that rice vermicelli is also often used -- perhaps the version of laksa you are familiar with have used that instead?

At any rate, the restaurant where I had this also serves curry laksa, which I believe is the version of laksa you refer to that is from the southern state of Johore (and also the version served in Singapore, from what I've read). I've had both versions at the restaurant (and the curry laksa in another Malaysian restaurant in Toronto) and love both.

symbolipoint said:
Not sure of how to think of the quality of the question, "unique" foods may be at best not too unique in whatever neighborhood where you find the food. Have you done some traveling to less-well known places and found some items which you have no familiarity? Have you maybe watched some cooking/culinary adventure t.v. programs? Have you learned about anything like pre-colombian sauces or salsas made using the cumil beetles? They supposedly have a cinnamon-like flavor. I myself found a way to add sauces and spices to eggs to cook them into something like an omelette, mainly because I otherwise do not like to eat eggs; but now I know I can jazz-up the egg and turn it into something different than how most people know to make.

Personally I haven't really traveled much recently, but have explored the various ethnic cuisines available in Toronto -- Toronto as a city is highly multicultural, and thus has a wide variety of cuisines available at various restaurants.

I have also watched a number of cooking/culinary adventures on YouTube. But have never learned about Pre-Colombian sauces or salsas using cumil beetles -- I'll have to check that out.

Last edited:
KevinMcHugh said:
Hariri

I did a quick search online and couldn't find anything about this. Could you elaborate more on this?

Tlayuda which is a Oaxacan street food like pizza - mole, cheese greens tomatoes and in this case, brisket on a crispy flat tortilla. Had it at Xochi, which is a high-end Mexican restaurant in Houston

tlayuda-3.jpg?crop=0.jpg

Likes StatGuy2000
I recently passed on the Dancing Squid.

Likes StatGuy2000
StatGuy2000 said:
I did a quick search online and couldn't find anything about this. Could you elaborate more on this?

Hariri is a N African dish of lentils, chick peas and orzo. A complex blend of herbs, spices and tomatoes complete the dish. Also made with stout greens.

Likes StatGuy2000
symbolipoint said:
Another spelling that could make an information search more productive is "jumil" with the plural being "jumiles".

Likes StatGuy2000
Somewhat against type for men my age, I thoroughly enjoy making and eating breads. I use whole grains, brans, nuts and seeds ground in my kitchen. I have learned to bake but with current hot temperatures have been cooking stove top instead. With practice and temperature control very little oil is retained. I use egg whites in place of whole eggs, soy milk for cream, and non-fat yogurt to replace butter; the first and last optional if cooking vegan. Flavorings include cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla, and cocoa powder or 100% chocolate. Malitol and sucralose replace sugar.

New foods include yellow and red flax seeds along with the usual brown. Ground into meal the flax seeds lend an unusual texture to cookies (biscuits) and cakes and seem to provide extra energy along with ground or chopped walnuts, almonds, cashews, oats and bits of fruit.

Two breakfast bars and two cups of dark roast coffee in the morning and I am good for two hours swimming and exercise.

Likes StatGuy2000
Klystron said:
I thoroughly enjoy making and eating breads. I use whole grains, brans, nuts and seeds ground in my kitchen. I have learned to bake but with current hot temperatures have been cooking stove top instead.
Dutch oven? Cast iron dutch ovens are absolute badass for bread.

Personally, I just had a vegan omelet

Likes Klystron

1. What interesting/unique foods have you had recently?

Recently, I had the opportunity to try a dish called durian, which is a fruit native to Southeast Asia. Its bold and pungent smell may be off-putting to some, but the creamy texture and sweet taste make it a unique and unforgettable experience.

2. How do you find and try these unique foods?

As a scientist, I often attend conferences and collaborate with colleagues from all around the world. This allows me to not only learn about different cultures and cuisines, but also try exotic foods that are not commonly found in my local area.

3. Are there any health benefits to trying new and interesting foods?

Absolutely! Trying new and interesting foods can introduce a variety of nutrients and antioxidants to our diets. It can also promote a diverse gut microbiome, which is important for overall health and digestion.

4. Are there any foods that you have tried that you would not recommend?

As a scientist, I try to approach all foods with an open mind and consider the cultural significance and traditional uses of certain ingredients. However, I do exercise caution and avoid foods that may pose a potential health risk, such as raw or undercooked meats.

5. Have you ever incorporated a unique food into your research or experiments?

Yes, I have! In fact, some of my research involves studying the potential uses of certain traditional or unique foods for medicinal purposes. It is fascinating to explore the potential benefits of these foods beyond just their taste and cultural significance.