What are great places in US or UK for a physicist to visit?

• Thread starter Tio Barnabe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist Uk
  • Featured
In summary, there are many great places for a physicist tourist to visit in the US and UK. Some suggestions include the Cavendish Laboratory at Cambridge University, Isaac Newton's childhood home at Woolsthorpe Manor, the Corning Glass Works in New York, Bletchley Park in England, and the Royal Observatory in London. Other options include working laboratories that offer tours, science-oriented museums, historical sites and monuments, and even restaurants with a connection to physics. Ultimately, the definition of "great places" may vary for each individual, but there are plenty of options to choose from for a physics enthusiast.
Wilson Donald Rohan said:
I like the Chicago Science museum. They have the first cyclotron, plus related items...

“Chicago Science Museum”?

If you mean the Museum of Science and Industry, I’d like to know where this “first cyclotron” exhibit is located. Didn’t know Berkeley would let something like this be transported to Chicago and be displayed here instead.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
clope023 said:
Smithsonian Air and Space Museums ...

If you like Air Museums...

bz-panel-01-25-12 - AIR-MUSEUM-JOKE-.jpg

Attachments

• bz-panel-01-25-12 - AIR-MUSEUM-JOKE-.jpg
    bz-panel-01-25-12 - AIR-MUSEUM-JOKE-.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 924
Likes Tio Barnabe, jtbell, Vanadium 50 and 3 others
Tio Barnabe said:
As the title says, any ideas of great places that a physicist tourist could visit in US or UK?

I have been thinking about the Cavendish laboratory, Cambridge University, but I don't know whether it's open for visitors.

The best places are those where no one understands physics, as you may get the answer to something that has been puzzling you from a totally unexpected place. Like inventions - Most inventions are not the work of scholars or scientists, there usually discovered by accident in a garden shed.

Likes Tio Barnabe and NTL2009
EnglandSP said:
The best places are those where no one understands physics, as you may get the answer to something that has been puzzling you from a totally unexpected place. Like inventions - Most inventions are not the work of scholars or scientists, there usually discovered by accident in a garden shed.

Good point. Along those lines, I would recommend (in Dearborn, Michigan, near Detroit):

https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/henry-ford-museum/

Likes Tio Barnabe
ZapperZ said:
I’d like to know where this “first cyclotron” exhibit is located.

The real one is in the Lawrence Hall of Science, Berkeley, CA. The first research cyclotron (the first one was proof-of-cocept) is also at Berkeley, having been returned from London.

Vanadium 50 said:
The real one is in the Lawrence Hall of Science, Berkeley, CA. The first research cyclotron (the first one was proof-of-cocept) is also at Berkeley, having been returned from London.

That's what I thought as well, which was why I asked this member where exactly at MSI this "first cyclotron" exhibit is. I know MSI quite a bit, although, not as well as I know the 3 museums in the Chicago Museum campus downtown.

Zz.

Back during the mid 1960's I used to love visiting the Los Angeles Museum of Science and Industry in Exposition Park, in particular, the Mathematica display. This was a colaborative effort between IBM and the Eames design team. The display is long gone (the museum has been completely rebuilt to meet seismic code and renamed the California Science Center), but the display is intact at the Museum of Science in Boston. They spent a year refurbishing it and I think they are finished now. I don't know if it would interest a physicist, but as a child, I found it inspiring.

ZapperZ said:
That's what I thought as well, which was why I asked this member where exactly at MSI this "first cyclotron" exhibit is. I know MSI quite a bit, although, not as well as I know the 3 museums in the Chicago Museum campus downtown.

Zz.
This is interesting. I guess the cyclotron that I saw at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry (that I visited in 2005) was not the first. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...135.1073741968.100000087721041&type=3&theater
photo.php

It would be cool to visit the LIGO interferometer considering it’s founders received the Nobel prize in physics this year.

Likes Wilson Donald Rohan
If you are in Idaho, and you want to see something really unusual, I suggest the Experimental Breeder Reactor 1 exhibit and the two atomic aircraft engines: HTRE1 and HTRE3 on display outside. They are part of the Idaho National Laboratory. To get there, take I-26 southeast from Arco, Idaho. Turn left at Van Buren Blvd. and left again toward the display. It is open from Memorial Day to Labor day, Monday through Sunday, 9 am to 5 pm.

Likes jim hardy