2021 Summer Olympics (Tokyo): July 23 (Friday) - August 8 (Sunday)

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary: The US Women's soccer team lost badly (3-0) to New Zealand, their worst loss in years.An unvaccinated American volleyball player tested positive for COVID and is out of the Olympics. His brother thinks he should be allowed to play because he feels ok. Japan is in a state of emergency due to a high COVID infection rate...which is far lower than the rate in the US, which is almost completely open/unrestricted. No fans allowed. Not even parents/support staff for parolympians.Cardboard beds in the Olympic Village are proven sex-ready.Opening ceremonies are tomorrow (today?).
pinball1970 said:
The UK did ok, a nice diversion at this time.

I would have liked to have seen more. I did see the ladies speed climbing which was absolutely nuts. Amazing
I agree it was a good "distraction" (in a positive, hopeful way) that reminded people of normal life pre-COVID. Would have loved to see crowds in the stands, but I took what we had fine.

I thought USA's swimming got a good run from Australia, which will be a good rivalry going forward. I enjoyed platform diving the most this year, surprisingly. Maybe it's because they showed it a lot. I wish NBC would have showed LESS rowing, canoeing, and golf and MORE stuff (for some of these, they never showed anything) like martial arts/boxing/wrestling, weight lifting, softball (I was very interested in this), and field. It's called track and field...not track. They left out the field part.

You had to go to different NBC affiliates to catch those other events, which I didn't always have access to. No offense to those who enjoy golf, rowing, and canoeing, but those are just not "watchable" for me personally. :smile:

<h2>1. When and where will the 2021 Summer Olympics take place?</h2><p>The 2021 Summer Olympics will take place in Tokyo, Japan from July 23 (Friday) to August 8 (Sunday).</p><h2>2. Why were the 2020 Summer Olympics postponed to 2021?</h2><p>The 2020 Summer Olympics were postponed to 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It was deemed unsafe to hold the event in 2020, so it was rescheduled for the following year.</p><h2>3. How many countries are participating in the 2021 Summer Olympics?</h2><p>As of now, 206 countries are expected to participate in the 2021 Summer Olympics. This number may change as some countries may choose to withdraw due to the pandemic.</p><h2>4. What safety measures will be in place for the 2021 Summer Olympics?</h2><p>The organizers of the 2021 Summer Olympics have implemented various safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. These include regular testing for athletes, limited audience capacity, mandatory mask-wearing, and strict quarantine protocols for participants.</p><h2>5. Will spectators be allowed at the 2021 Summer Olympics?</h2><p>As of now, spectators will be allowed at the 2021 Summer Olympics, but with limited capacity. The organizers will continue to monitor the situation and may make changes to the spectator policy if necessary.</p>

1. When and where will the 2021 Summer Olympics take place?

The 2021 Summer Olympics will take place in Tokyo, Japan from July 23 (Friday) to August 8 (Sunday).

2. Why were the 2020 Summer Olympics postponed to 2021?

The 2020 Summer Olympics were postponed to 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It was deemed unsafe to hold the event in 2020, so it was rescheduled for the following year.

3. How many countries are participating in the 2021 Summer Olympics?

As of now, 206 countries are expected to participate in the 2021 Summer Olympics. This number may change as some countries may choose to withdraw due to the pandemic.

4. What safety measures will be in place for the 2021 Summer Olympics?

The organizers of the 2021 Summer Olympics have implemented various safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. These include regular testing for athletes, limited audience capacity, mandatory mask-wearing, and strict quarantine protocols for participants.

5. Will spectators be allowed at the 2021 Summer Olympics?

As of now, spectators will be allowed at the 2021 Summer Olympics, but with limited capacity. The organizers will continue to monitor the situation and may make changes to the spectator policy if necessary.

Back