Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Well look at that :D

kanderson

Jul 7, 2012
Last edited:

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Congratulations! (Yes)

What was your official number, and how close was second place?

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
At my university a similar contest was organized but the winner wasn't even close to that number it was I guess 180 ...

kanderson

Jul 7, 2012
I think I hit around 250-260 pounds, first place, got trophy and a small cash prize which I assume is being mailed because they didnt give it to us their. The second place team hit 239 pounds I believe. Just a side note we used the catenary curve to get our arch.

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
I think I hit around 250-260 pounds, first place, got trophy and a small cash prize which I assume is being mailed because they didnt give it to us their. The second place team hit 239 pounds I believe. Just a side note we used the catenary curve to get our arch.
Oh wait that was in bounds , I thought it was in kg. It is still a good number though .

kanderson

Jul 7, 2012
The tensil strength our wood was really bad this year so we would've never made it to your 389 pounds or 180 kilograms. but yeah, we had a student who did a triangle design on the stronger wood and it went to 304 pounds. Wonder what a catenary curved arch can do with better wood.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Victory: winning contest
Fail: not embedding video

Victory >>> Fail though so you still win :)

Congrats!! Is there a next level beyond the local competition? You could be national champs maybe.

kanderson

Jul 7, 2012
I really dont know, we are supposed to go to some ceremony at the end of the school year. Will bring my papers I had to submit to the university about the contest.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
If I recall correctly, the catenary is the strongest arch as the load is distributed evenly.

kanderson

Jul 7, 2012
I think so to. It had to do with it supports it self against gravity alone and then after that is what you put on it or something.