Surge of Post-COVID Fungal Infections in India: Causes & Prevention

• COVID
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    India
In summary, the surge of post-COVID fungal infections in India, including Mucormycosis, white fungus, and yellow fungus, is due to the weakened immune system of COVID survivors and increased use of steroids. Steroids are known to cause fungal infections as side effects and antifungal drugs like fluconazole may be used as prophylaxis for those who have received steroids or have low immunity or diabetes. However, further studies need to be done on the effectiveness of fluconazole as prophylaxis for these fungal infections.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Can low doses of antifungal drugs like fluconazole (i.e. something other than Amphotericin-B) help in preventing fungal infections in COVID survivors?
In India, we are facing a surge of post-COVID fungal infections. The most widespread is Mucormycosis (aka black fungus). There has also been a number of cases of white fungus (probably the existing disease Candidiasis, as per this article), and a yellow fungus (anyone knows the medical term for this one?) has also made its way to the headlines. Today, I found this article that reported eight patients have been tested to have Aspergillosis. Amphotericin-B is being used to treat almost all the above infections.

The main reason for the surge of these fungal infections is the weakened immune system of people surviving COVID-19, and also an increased use of steroids in hospitals. People with diabetes are more prone to Mucormycosis as per many reports.

Steroids are often known to cause fungal infections as side effects. (My mother, for instance, has COPD, and our doctor has advised her an inhaler that is a combination of formoterol (a bronchodilator), and budesonide. But she cannot take it regularly because after taking it for some consecutive days, a fungal infection develops in her throat, and her voice cracks. That is when she switches to a non-steroid inhaler containing levosalbutamol and ipratropium bromide.)

My question: Can low doses of antifungal drugs like fluconazole (i.e. something other than Amphotericin-B) help in preventing these infections? Maybe doctors can prescribe them to people who have been treated with steroids, or those who may have low immunity or diabetes. Has any study been done on this?

Likes atyy
Biology news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
Summary:: Can low doses of antifungal drugs like fluconazole (i.e. something other than Amphotericin-B) help in preventing fungal infections in COVID survivors?

In India, we are facing a surge of post-COVID fungal infections. The most widespread is Mucormycosis (aka black fungus). There has also been a number of cases of white fungus (probably the existing disease Candidiasis, as per this article), and a yellow fungus (anyone knows the medical term for this one?) has also made its way to the headlines. Today, I found this article that reported eight patients have been tested to have Aspergillosis. Amphotericin-B is being used to treat almost all the above infections.

The main reason for the surge of these fungal infections is the weakened immune system of people surviving COVID-19, and also an increased use of steroids in hospitals. People with diabetes are more prone to Mucormycosis as per many reports.

Steroids are often known to cause fungal infections as side effects. (My mother, for instance, has COPD, and our doctor has advised her an inhaler that is a combination of formoterol (a bronchodilator), and budesonide. But she cannot take it regularly because after taking it for some consecutive days, a fungal infection develops in her throat, and her voice cracks. That is when she switches to a non-steroid inhaler containing levosalbutamol and ipratropium bromide.)

My question: Can low doses of antifungal drugs like fluconazole (i.e. something other than Amphotericin-B) help in preventing these infections? Maybe doctors can prescribe them to people who have been treated with steroids, or those who may have low immunity or diabetes. Has any study been done on this?
I believe the keyword you need to research this is "prophylaxis".

google: fluconazole as antifungal prophylaxis

I suspect forum rules prevent anyone from answering your question in an authoritative kind of way.

My own experience with fluconazole was that it eliminated whatever fungus I had within a day.
Unfortunately, I have not a clue what that fungus was, and google says it's useless against the "black" one.

I've never considered using it prophylactically, as that's like casually taking antibiotics, which leads to super bugs.

Likes Wrichik Basu

Related to Surge of Post-COVID Fungal Infections in India: Causes & Prevention

1. What is causing the surge of post-COVID fungal infections in India?

The surge of post-COVID fungal infections in India is primarily caused by the use of steroids in the treatment of COVID-19 patients. Steroids suppress the immune system, making individuals more susceptible to fungal infections such as mucormycosis (also known as black fungus) and candidiasis.

2. Are there any other factors contributing to the increase in fungal infections?

Other factors that may contribute to the surge of post-COVID fungal infections in India include the use of unsterilized medical equipment, poor hygiene practices, and underlying conditions such as diabetes, which can also weaken the immune system.

3. How can these fungal infections be prevented?

Prevention of post-COVID fungal infections in India includes proper use of steroids, strict adherence to infection control measures in healthcare settings, and maintaining good personal hygiene. It is also important for individuals with underlying conditions to manage their health and blood sugar levels to reduce the risk of infection.

4. What are the symptoms of post-COVID fungal infections?

The symptoms of post-COVID fungal infections can vary depending on the type of infection. However, some common symptoms include fever, headache, facial pain, nasal congestion, difficulty breathing, and skin lesions. It is important to seek medical attention if you experience any of these symptoms after recovering from COVID-19.

5. Is there a treatment for post-COVID fungal infections?

Yes, post-COVID fungal infections can be treated with antifungal medication. However, early detection and treatment are crucial for a successful recovery. It is important to consult a healthcare professional if you suspect you have a fungal infection, as some types can be life-threatening if left untreated.