Weird question: IB Physics EE ideas

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of choosing a subject for an Extended Essay on physics. The speaker is considering focusing on either the area of stability in structures or renewable energy. The other person suggests focusing on the stability of structures, specifically in regards to protecting homes and small businesses from natural disasters. They also mention the importance of conducting thorough research and experimentation for a successful paper.
PeterPann
Hi guys,
I am currently doing HL IB Physics and i chose to do my Extended Essay on physics as well but i am having trouble to figure out my topic and what my question can be. I was thinking of something around the area of stability in structures or renewable energy. But i have no idea what exactly. Do you have any ideas in order to help me please. I would really appreciate if you could share your ideas with me.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PeterPann said:
stability in structures or renewable energy.
Renewable energy is being written about a lot, so I would tend to think more about the "stability of structures" subject. Certainly there has been a lot of work done on the physical stability of large buildings, but I haven't seen much work yet on how to protect homes and small businesses from tornadoes, hurricanes and floods. I think you could write a very good paper about that subject, if you did enough research and work. :smile:

Likes PeterPann
berkeman said:
Renewable energy is being written about a lot, so I would tend to think more about the "stability of structures" subject. Certainly there has been a lot of work done on the physical stability of large buildings, but I haven't seen much work yet on how to protect homes and small businesses from tornadoes, hurricanes and floods. I think you could write a very good paper about that subject, if you did enough research and work. :smile:

I have looked into stability of structures but i can't think of any experiments that would provide me with enough sufficient data and wouldn't be too difficult and complicated to perform. Do you have any ideas about what experiment i could do? :D

Related to Weird question: IB Physics EE ideas

1. What is an IB Physics EE?

An IB Physics EE, or Extended Essay, is an independent research project that IB (International Baccalaureate) students must complete in order to earn their IB diploma. It is a 4000-word essay that allows students to explore a topic of their choice in depth and demonstrate their understanding of the subject.

2. How do I come up with an idea for my IB Physics EE?

Choosing a topic for your IB Physics EE can be challenging. One approach is to start by thinking about topics that interest you or areas of physics that you find particularly fascinating. You can also talk to your IB Physics teacher for guidance and support in selecting a suitable topic.

3. Can I conduct experiments for my IB Physics EE?

Yes, you can conduct experiments as part of your IB Physics EE. However, it is important to keep in mind that the focus should be on your analysis and interpretation of the results, rather than just the experimental procedure itself. You should also ensure that your experiment is feasible and can be carried out within the time and resources available.

4. Are there any specific requirements for an IB Physics EE?

Yes, there are specific requirements that your IB Physics EE must meet. These include a clear research question, a well-defined scope, appropriate use of scientific terminology, and proper citation of sources. It is important to carefully review the IB guidelines and criteria for the EE to ensure that your essay meets all the requirements.

5. How important is the topic for my IB Physics EE?

The topic you choose for your IB Physics EE is crucial, as it will determine the direction and focus of your research. It should be a topic that you are genuinely interested in and have a good understanding of. Additionally, it is important to choose a topic that is specific enough to allow for in-depth analysis, but not too narrow that it limits your research possibilities.