Extended Essay Research question help (first year IB student)

In summary, the conversation is about a first year IB student who needs to submit a research question for their extended essay today. They were initially considering photoelasticity but found it difficult to quantify the results. Now they are considering a research question related to solar cells and are seeking ideas for a simple yet effective question. Suggestions were made to explore the efficiency of solar cells at different temperatures and potentially incorporating mirrors to increase energy production.
Juan2g19
Homework Statement
I'm trying to come up with a research question to do my extended essay on.
Relevant Equations
No
Hi guys, I am a first year IB student and I need to give hand in my research question for the extended essay today, the only thing is that I don't really know what I could do it on. The extended essay is basically a 4000 word research project. I was going to do it on photoelasticity, but when I looked into the theory of it I saw that there wasn't much and also it was hard to quantify the experiments results. Now I'm thinking about a research question that has got something to do with solar cells. I'd like to formulate a hypothesis to my research question and then prove it with an experiment.

Does anyone have any ideas on what my research question could be (I'd prefer it to be more simple than complicated if possible)? Many thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Maybe look into the efficiency of solar cells versus their temperature? This can be important if you want to use some sort of temperature control on the cells to improve their efficiency. It can also lead to hybrid solar cell systems that do some other function as well... :wink:

Likes malawi_glenn
What solar cells are you planning to get? How would you measure their efficiency.

You could elaborate with mirrors and solar cells

1. What is the purpose of an Extended Essay Research question?

The Extended Essay Research question is a central part of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program. It is a question that guides your research and investigation into a chosen topic and helps you develop a deeper understanding of the subject.

2. How do I choose a good Extended Essay Research question?

A good Extended Essay Research question should be specific, focused, and relevant to your chosen subject. It should also be open-ended and allow for different interpretations and analysis. It is important to choose a topic that you are genuinely interested in and have access to resources for.

3. Can I change my Extended Essay Research question?

Yes, you can change your Extended Essay Research question during the first year of the IB program. However, it is important to discuss the change with your supervisor and make sure it aligns with the requirements and guidelines set by the IB.

4. How do I ensure that my Extended Essay Research question is within the scope of the IB program?

Before finalizing your Extended Essay Research question, it is important to review the IB guidelines and make sure that your question falls within the scope of the program. You can also consult with your supervisor or subject teacher for guidance and clarification.

5. How much time should I spend on developing my Extended Essay Research question?

The process of developing a strong Extended Essay Research question can take some time and should not be rushed. It is recommended to spend at least a few weeks researching and refining your question to ensure it meets all the necessary criteria and is suitable for your chosen subject.