Weinberg Lectures in QM (2013 Ed.), Equation 7.10.15

In summary, Weinberg's book says that the second-order derivative of the phase S "arrives here" when one performs a power series expansion of the Hamiltonian around ##\nabla S##. Pierre explains that this derivative is simply the product of the first and higher-order derivatives of the exponential term in the wave function.
jouvelot
Hello everyone,
I don't get how the second-order derivative ##\partial^2 S/\partial x_i \partial x_j## of the phase S arrives here. If one performs a power series expansion of the Hamiltonian around ##\nabla S##, then I do get where the first term ##A## comes from, but then adding higher-order derivatives doesn't seem to introduce this second-order derivative of the phase S (even taking the somewhat
fuzzy footnote into account).
Does anyone who has read this book have an idea?
Thanks in advance.
Pierre

Physics news on Phys.org
To put my question in perspective, I put below an excerpt of the corresponding page (I hope small quotes are ok on the forum; if not, please feel fee to let me know) in Weinberg's book.

Schrodinger's equation 7.10.1 is ##H(p,x)\psi(x) = E \psi(x)##. The idea is to assume a solution ##\psi(x)= N(x)e^{-iS(x)\hbar}## (Equation 7.10.2), in which case, after identifying as usual ##p## with ##-i\hbar\nabla##, Schrodinger's equation is equivalent to Equation 7.10.13 below. Then, my question amounts to understanding the right part of Equation 7.10.15, and thus 7.10.14.

Thanks.

7.10.15.png

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure I follow (7.10.13) (why p is identified with the expression containing grad S), but is it not simply the case that by acting on the product [itex]\psi = N e^{ i S} [/itex] with two derivatives it's inevitable that you'll pull down a term that looks like the second derivative of S, just because of the product rule and the derivatives of exponentials?

One way to derive classical mechanics from quantum theory is to use singular perturbation theory, i.e., a formal expansion in powers of ##\hbar##, starting with the term ##\propto 1/\hbar## around ##\hbar=0##. In physics it's also known as the Wentzel-Kramers-Brillouin approximation. It's exactly the same technique how you derive ray optics from wave optics, i.e., the Maxwell equations. In leading order ##\mathcal{O}(1/\hbar)## you get the Hamilton-Jacoby partial differential equation for the "eikonal" ##S##, which is nothing else than the classical action, and that's equivalent to good old Newtonian mechanics.

Hi,

Thanks muppet for your message.

My understanding of Equation 7.10.13 is that it is the transcription of Schrodinger’s equation when applied to ##\psi## defined in terms of ##N(x)## and ##S(x)##.

The application of the operator ##p = -i\hbar\nabla## to such ##\psi## yields ##-i\hbar\nabla N(x) e^{iS(x)/\hbar}+N(x) \nabla S(x) e^{iS(x)/\hbar}##, which is equivalent to ##((-i\hbar\nabla + \nabla S(x) )N(x)) e^{iS(x)/\hbar}##. So since the phase exponential part of ##\psi## is kept unchanged, it can be factored out of the whole Schrodinger’s equation on ##\psi##, giving 7.10.13, which only applies to the ##N(x)## part of the wave function.

Now, if one performs a first-order power series expansion of the Hamiltonian at ##\nabla S(x)##, one gets the first parts of Equations 7.10.14 and 7.10.15, but I don’t see how to obtain the second parts even with higher-order expansions.

Thanks.

Pierre

Last edited:
Hi vanhees71,

Thanks for your comments, and I do remember reading about doing expansions in powers of ##\hbar##. But here, Weinberg speaks of orders of gradients, not of ##\hbar## (even though this is the same here, when dealing with the gradient of ##N(x)##). Given the book self-containedness up to now, I assume I should be able to derive this formula and see where the second-order derivatives of ##S## come from. But I don't see how.

Ok, going back to this after a small hiatus, I think I got it, and it's pretty simple in fact. Basically, from (7.10.13), one does a first-order expansion of H around ##\nabla S(x)##, yielding
$$H(\nabla S)N + (-i\hbar\sum_i\nabla_i)[(\partial H/\partial p_i)_{p=\nabla S} N] = E N.$$ The zero-th order terms ##H(\nabla S)N## and ##E N## cancel, as per (7.10.3). The remaining ##\nabla## yields then
$$ \sum_i(\partial H/\partial p_i)_{p=\nabla S} (\nabla_i N) + N\sum_{ij} (\partial p_j / \partial x_i)_{p=\nabla S} \partial/\partial p_j (\partial H/\partial p_i)_{p=\nabla S} = 0,$$
i.e., $$A.\nabla(N)+N {1\over 2}\sum_{ij} (\partial^2 S / \partial x_j\partial x_i) (\partial^2 H/\partial p_j\partial p_i)_{p=\nabla S} = A.\nabla(N)+NB = 0,$$
as in (7.10.14).

How to get 1/2 in your last equation ?

One needs the 1/2 prefactor since the term under the sum is symmetric in ##i## and ##j##, so one needs to counterbalance for the double counting. At least, this is how I make sense of it...

Related to Weinberg Lectures in QM (2013 Ed.), Equation 7.10.15

1. What is the significance of Equation 7.10.15 in the Weinberg Lectures in QM (2013 Ed.)?

Equation 7.10.15 is a key equation in the Weinberg Lectures in QM as it represents the expression for the Hamiltonian operator in the Heisenberg picture. It allows for the calculation of the time evolution of a quantum system and is an essential tool in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. How is Equation 7.10.15 derived in the Weinberg Lectures in QM (2013 Ed.)?

Equation 7.10.15 is derived using the Heisenberg equation of motion, which relates the time derivative of an operator to its commutator with the Hamiltonian operator. This equation is then solved to obtain the expression for the Hamiltonian operator in the Heisenberg picture, which is given by Equation 7.10.15.

3. Can Equation 7.10.15 be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, Equation 7.10.15 is a general expression for the Hamiltonian operator in the Heisenberg picture and can be applied to any quantum system. However, it may need to be modified or adapted for specific systems depending on the nature of the Hamiltonian.

4. What is the physical interpretation of Equation 7.10.15?

Equation 7.10.15 has a physical interpretation as it represents the total energy of a quantum system. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of particles and their interactions, providing a complete description of the system's dynamics.

5. How does Equation 7.10.15 relate to other fundamental equations in quantum mechanics?

Equation 7.10.15 is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics as it is directly related to other key equations, such as the Schrödinger equation and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. It also connects to other important concepts in quantum mechanics, such as the quantization of energy and the concept of observables.