Wave Problem? Solve w/Typical Values: T=1500K, m=7amu, d=3mm, L=2m

• Thread starter GreenLRan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation discusses using an apparatus to prepare an atomic beam by heating atoms and allowing them to emerge through a hole. It is then shown that the diameter of the beam at the end of its path is larger than the hole by a certain amount. A numerical estimate is also provided using specific values for temperature, mass, hole diameter, and path length. The process for solving the problem involves finding the horizontal speed of the beam, calculating the time it takes to travel the path, using the uncertainty principle to find the vertical velocity, and finally multiplying the time by the vertical velocity.
GreenLRan
wave problem??

Homework Statement

An apparatus is used to prepare an atomic beam by heating a collection of atoms to a temperature T and allowing the beam to emerge through a hole of diameter d in one side of the oven. The beam then travels through a straight path of length L. Show that the diamter of the beam at the end of the path is larger than d by an amount of order L*hbar/(d*sqrt(3mkT)) where m is the mass of an atom. Make a numerical estimate for typical values of T=1500K m=7amu(lithium atoms), d=3mm, L=2m.

Homework Equations

no clue :cry:

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the ratio using the given data and got 2.604*10^-9 meters.
I have no clue where to even begin on this problem. Really all I'm looking for is a hint. Not someone to do it for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenLRan said:

Homework Statement

An apparatus is used to prepare an atomic beam by heating a collection of atoms to a temperature T and allowing the beam to emerge through a hole of diameter d in one side of the oven. The beam then travels through a straight path of length L. Show that the diamter of the beam at the end of the path is larger than d by an amount of order L*hbar/(d*sqrt(3mkT)) where m is the mass of an atom. Make a numerical estimate for typical values of T=1500K m=7amu(lithium atoms), d=3mm, L=2m.

Homework Equations

no clue :cry:

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the ratio using the given data and got 2.604*10^-9 meters.
I have no clue where to even begin on this problem. Really all I'm looking for is a hint. Not someone to do it for me.

First step: find at what horizontal speed the beam emerges (that speed will depend on kT and on the mass)

Second step: use that v_x to find how long it takes to travel a distance L

Third step, use the uncertainty principle along the y direction to find the velocity along y (the value of [itex] \Delta y [/itex] is basically the diameter of the hole)

Fourth step: multiply the time of the second step by the y velocity of the third step.

I did it very quickly and got that answer. But the most tricky part is to get correct the factors of 2!

Patrick

Related to Wave Problem? Solve w/Typical Values: T=1500K, m=7amu, d=3mm, L=2m

What is a wave problem?

A wave problem is a physics problem that involves the study of waves and their characteristics, such as wavelength, frequency, and amplitude.

What are typical values used in a wave problem?

The typical values used in a wave problem may vary depending on the specific problem, but common values include temperature (T), mass (m), distance (d), and length (L).

How do I solve a wave problem?

To solve a wave problem, you will need to use the appropriate equations and plug in the given values. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct formula for the type of wave being studied.

What is the significance of the values T=1500K, m=7amu, d=3mm, L=2m in this wave problem?

These values provide important information about the specific wave being studied. T represents the temperature, m represents the mass of the particles creating the wave, d represents the distance between wave crests, and L represents the length of the wave.

How do I interpret the solutions to a wave problem?

The solutions to a wave problem will provide information about the characteristics of the wave, such as its frequency, wavelength, and energy. It is important to carefully analyze the solutions to understand the behavior of the wave.