Find Expec. Value of x for Mass M Moving in 1D: Wave Funct. at t=0

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle moving in one dimension with a given wave function. The solution involves normalizing the function and finding the expectation value of x. The conversation also mentions some helpful integrals and discusses the substitution of variables. The expectation value is ultimately found to be x_0, which is the point of symmetry for the probability density.
apollonschild

Homework Statement

It's an old assignment for exam, but the solution manual gives little help:

Describing a particle of mass m moving in one dimension (x) the wave function at time t=0 is:

## \Psi(x,t=0) = A \frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-x_0)^4 + l^4}} ##

##x_0## and ##l## are positive constants describing some length (##x_0, l>0##).

Normalize the wave equation and find the expectation value of x.

These integrals can be helpful (given with the assignment):
(all integrals are from -∞ to ∞, I'm just a tad new at texing, and you'll get it right)

## \int \frac{1}{x^2+l^2} dx = \frac{\pi}{l} ##

## \int \frac{1}{sqrt{x^4+l^4}} dx = \frac{3.7081}{l} ##

## \int \frac{1}{x^4+l^4} dx = \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}l^3} ##

I am having trouble mathematically or principally calculate the expectation value.

Homework Equations

Normalization demands ## 1 = < \Psi | \Psi > ##

Exceptation value is ## <x> = < \Psi | x \Psi > ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Normalizing the function was all right; since the function is symmetrical around ##x_0##, we can choose the function to be symmetric around zero, and so:

## 1 = |A|^2 \int \frac{1}{x^4+l^4} dx = |A|^2 \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}l^3} ##

So then ## A = \frac{\sqrt[4]{2}\sqrt{l^3}}{\sqrt{\pi}} ## or ## A = \sqrt[4]{2} \sqrt{\frac{l^3}{\pi}} ## if you like..

For the expectation value I'm not sure why it's "obviously" ##x_0##. I tried setting it up mathematically:

##<x> = |A|^2 \int \frac{x}{(x-x_0)^4+l^4} dx##

But I can't see how to get there (or really anywhere). My teacher suggests the same "substitution" as before (setting ##x_0 = 0##) to get:

##<x> = |A|^2 \int \frac{x}{(x-x_0)^4+l^4} dx = |A|^2 \int \frac{x}{x^4+l^4} dx + x_0 |A|^2 \int \frac{1}{x^4+l^4} dx ##

But I'm not following how like, what is the last part? And if I were to try and substitute like before, the variable would disappear, so I don't get his point.

I hop I TeXed everything correct. Welp pwease :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
The wave function is symmetric around ##x_0##, you cannot choose this to be zero if it is not. However, you can make the substitution ##t = x-x_0## and evaluate the integral in ##t## instead, which amounts to what you did.

For the expectation value, you can do the same substitution. The second term comes from the fact that not only is ##t = x-x_0##, leaving you with the denominator which is symmetric around ##t=0##, but also ##x = t + x_0##, leaving you with a numerator that is not.

As for the "obviousness" of the expectation value being ##x_0##: What is true for the probability density ##|\psi(x)|^2## when you study its symmetry properties around ##x = x_0##?

Related to Find Expec. Value of x for Mass M Moving in 1D: Wave Funct. at t=0

1. What is the expected value of x for a mass M moving in 1D with a given wave function at t=0?

The expected value of x for a mass M moving in 1D with a given wave function at t=0 is the average position of the mass over a large number of measurements. It is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the probability density function and the position variable x.

2. How is the expected value of x related to the wave function at t=0?

The expected value of x is directly related to the wave function at t=0. It is calculated using the wave function by multiplying the position variable x with the probability density function and then integrating over all possible positions.

3. What is the significance of finding the expected value of x for a moving mass?

Finding the expected value of x is important because it gives us a measure of the average position of the moving mass. This information can help us understand the behavior and characteristics of the system.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the expected value of x?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the expected value of x. It is determined by the wave function and the probability density function. However, the mass may indirectly affect the expected value by influencing the shape and behavior of the wave function.

5. Can the expected value of x change over time?

Yes, the expected value of x can change over time as the wave function evolves. This is because the probability density function, which is used to calculate the expected value, can change over time depending on the dynamics of the system.