Solve Sound Wave Problem: Frequency of Sound in Air (336 m/s)

In summary, a source of sound and a detector are placed at a distance from each other with a cardboard in between. The intensity of sound changes from maximum to minimum as the cardboard is moved 20 cm away. By considering the path difference and consecutive maxima and minima, the frequency of the sound emitted is found to be 420 Hz.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A source of sound S and a detector D are placed at some distance from one another. A big cradboard is placed near the detector and perpendicular to line SD as shown in figure. It is gradually moved away and it is found that the intensity changes from a maximum to a minimum as the board is moved through a distance of 20 cm. Find the frequency of the sound emitted. Velocity of sound in air is 336 m/s.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have posted a similar problem in the past.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=684072&highlight=sound+detector+wall

(The figure is present in the linked thread. I can't seem to attach it to the current thread :confused: )

I tried the current problem the following way:

Let the cardboard be initially at a distance ##x## from S and let D be at a distance ##y## from S. The path difference between the two waves reaching D is ##2(x-y)##. For a maximum, the path difference must be ##n\lambda## i.e ##2(x-y)=n\lambda\,\, (*)## where n is a non-negative integer. When the cardboard is moved by 20 cm, the path difference is ##2(x-y)-40##. For a minimum, this must be a equal to ##(m+1/2)\lambda## where m is a non-negative integer. Using (*), I get:
$$n\lambda-40=\left(m+\frac{1}{2}\right)\lambda$$
Solving for ##\lambda##
$$\lambda=\frac{40}{n-m-1/2}$$
If I assume ##n=1## and ##m=0##, I get the given answer i.e 420 Hz but if I assume some other values, I get different answers. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The key thing is that the path difference between a consecutive maxima and minima is λ/2 .

Now when the detector is moved 20 cm away ,the path difference introduced is 40 cm .

i.e 40 = λ/2 or λ = 80cm .

f=c/λ = 420 Hz .

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
See how you can attach an old picture

attachment.php?attachmentid=57630&d=1365435100.png

Or you can attach it again, by changing the name.

Tania is right, the keyword is "consecutive" n and m differ by one.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot Tanya and ehild! :smile:

I had a similar dilemma with the other problems I am currently going through but now they are all solved, thanks! :)

Your approach is correct, but you are missing a key piece of information: the distance between the source and detector. Without this information, it is impossible to determine the exact frequency of the sound emitted. The frequency will depend on the wavelength, which in turn depends on the distance between the source and detector.

To solve this problem, you will need to use the formula for the speed of sound in air (336 m/s) to find the wavelength of the sound. Then, using the path difference equation you have already derived, you can solve for the frequency. However, keep in mind that there are multiple possible values for the wavelength and frequency, so you will need to use some trial and error to find the correct one that fits the given information.

Alternatively, if you know the distance between the source and detector, you can use the formula v = fλ to solve for the frequency directly.

1. What is the formula for calculating the frequency of a sound wave in air?

The formula for calculating the frequency of a sound wave in air is: frequency (Hz) = speed of sound (m/s) / wavelength (m).

2. What is the speed of sound in air?

The speed of sound in air is approximately 336 m/s at room temperature and sea level.

3. How does the frequency of a sound wave affect its pitch?

The frequency of a sound wave is directly proportional to its pitch. This means that as the frequency increases, the pitch of the sound also increases.

4. Can the frequency of a sound wave in air be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a sound wave in air can be changed by altering the speed of the wave or the wavelength. This can be done by changing the source of the sound or the medium through which the sound is traveling.

5. How does the frequency of a sound wave affect its energy?

The frequency of a sound wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the frequency increases, the energy of the sound also increases. This is why high frequency sounds, such as a scream, are perceived to be louder than low frequency sounds, such as a whisper.