Wave Equation for Second Sound in Superfluid He-4

In summary, the author is trying to derive the wave equation for 'Second Sound in superfluid Helium-4' using the basic tenets of the two-fluid model. He is following the derivation in a book, but is stuck on one step. He needs help from someone who is more experienced with the mathematics.
Astrofiend
I am trying to derive the wave equation for 'Second Sound in superfluid Helium-4 using the basic tenets of the two-fluid model. I am following the derivation in a book which has intermediate steps along the way - I am trying to fill in the gaps. I am almost there - there is only one step that I cannot do:

I cannot get from:

(dVn/dt) - (dVs/dt) = (-p/pn).S.grad(T) ... (1)

to

(pn/ps).d/dt(p.Div(Vn)) = -p.S.Laplacian(T) ... (2)

where S = entropy, T = temperature, ps = density of superfluid component, pn = density of normal component, p = pn + ps = overall density of helium, Div = divergence operation, grad = grad operation, Laplacian = Laplacian operator = div(grad(_)), Vn = velocity of normal component of Helium, Vs = velocity of superfluid component of Helium.

The book says to take the divergence (Del) of both sides of eqn 1, and then use eqn 3 below to 'replace the superfluid velocity in the result', where upon eqn 2 apparently pops out after a little wrangling.

Div(j) = -(dp/dt) ... (3)

Where j = pnVn + psVs ...(4)

It doesn't happen for me though!

Setting dp/dt = 0 (a fair approximation in this case) in (3) and subbing in (4), I get:

Div(Vs) = -(pn/ps).Div(Vn) ...(5)

Subbing (5) into (1) after taking the Div of both sides, I get:

d/dt[Div(Vn) + (pn/ps).Div(Vn)] = -(p/pn).S.Laplacian(T) ... (6)

I can't work out how to go further or whether I've committed some mathematical howler! I need to get (6) to look like (2), unless I've stuffed up in arriving at (6)...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're almost there;

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{v}_n+\left(\frac{p_n}{p_s}\right)\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{v}_n=\left(1+\frac{p_n}{p_s}\right)\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{v}_n[/tex]

And

[tex]1+\frac{p_n}{p_s}=\frac{p_s+p_n}{p_s}=\frac{p}{p_s}[/tex]

Champion - I appreciate it a great deal - that has been driving me bloody well nuts!

Related to Wave Equation for Second Sound in Superfluid He-4

1. What is the "Wave Equation for Second Sound in Superfluid He-4"?

The Wave Equation for Second Sound in Superfluid He-4 is a mathematical equation that describes the propagation of second sound waves in superfluid helium-4. Second sound is a phenomenon where heat and density waves propagate simultaneously in a superfluid, and it is a unique characteristic of superfluid helium-4.

2. How does the Wave Equation for Second Sound in Superfluid He-4 differ from other wave equations?

The Wave Equation for Second Sound in Superfluid He-4 is a non-linear partial differential equation, meaning that it takes into account the non-linear interactions between the heat and density waves. This is different from other wave equations which are usually linear and do not take into account these interactions.

3. What are the applications of the Wave Equation for Second Sound in Superfluid He-4?

The Wave Equation for Second Sound in Superfluid He-4 has applications in studying the properties of superfluid helium-4, such as its thermal conductivity and viscosity. It is also used in understanding the behavior of superfluid helium-4 in curved spaces, such as in the presence of vortices or in confined geometries.

4. How was the Wave Equation for Second Sound in Superfluid He-4 derived?

The Wave Equation for Second Sound in Superfluid He-4 was derived using the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically by applying the Gross-Pitaevskii equation to a Bose-Einstein condensate of helium-4 atoms. It has also been derived through the use of kinetic theory and hydrodynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Wave Equation for Second Sound in Superfluid He-4?

One limitation of the Wave Equation for Second Sound in Superfluid He-4 is that it is only applicable to superfluid helium-4 at very low temperatures, close to absolute zero. It also does not take into account the effects of impurities or other external factors that may affect the behavior of the superfluid.