Sound waves frequency (Hankel functions)

In summary, the conversation discusses the study of harmonic sound waves emitted by a long wire, approximating the earth with an infinite rigid plate. The velocity potential of the source is given by a function, and the problem is to find the amplitude for a given radiated power per unit length. The solution involves finding the function and using it to calculate the current density. The solution also discusses the use of polar coordinates and the conversion to Cartesian coordinates.
skrat

Homework Statement

Let's study harmonic sound waves with frequency ##\omega ##, that is emitted by a long wire. Let's approximate the earth, above which the wire is, with an infinite rigid plate. If the space wasn't limited by the earth, than the velocity potential of the source would be ##\Phi (\vec r, t)=-\frac{i\alpha }{4}H_0^{(1)}(k|\vec r - \vec d|)e^{-i\omega t}##, where vectors ##\vec r## and ##\vec d ## are both in the crosswise plane (I imagine this the plane where it's normal vector and source wire are parallel) and where ##\vec d## describes the wire position.
What is the amplitude ##\alpha ##, if the radiated power per unit length is ##p##. Density of the air is ##\rho ## and sound velocity is ##c##.

Homework Equations

The following expressions could help: $$H_0^{(1)}\asymp \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi x}}e^{ix-i\pi /4}$$ and $$\int _0 ^{\pi }cos(xsin(y))dy=\pi J_0 (x)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Hopefully, the first half of my solution is good, while I am not so sure about the second part.

So my ##\Phi ## has to be ##0## and the Earth (at ##y=0##). Let's use bit a different notation than the problem wants me to. $$\Phi (\vec r, t)_{\infty}\equiv \Phi (\vec r, t)=-\frac{i\alpha }{4}H_0^{(1)}(k|\vec r - \vec d|)e^{-i\omega t}$$ and now let ##\Phi (\vec r, t)## be the function I am looking for - the one, that has to be ##0## at the earth.

To find my ##\Phi ##, I shall say that it is a linear combination of ##\Phi=\Phi _{\infty}\vec r,t) +g##, where ##g(x,y,t)## is unknown for now but makes sure that ##\Phi## is ##0## at the earth. This gives me a boundary condition ##\Phi (x,y=0,t)=\Phi _{\infty}(x,y=0,t) +g=0## which leaves me with $$g=-\Phi _{\infty}(\vec r,t)=\frac{i\alpha }{4}H_0^{(1)}(k|\vec r + \vec d|)e^{-i\omega t}$$ meaning $$\Phi (\vec r,t)=\frac{i\alpha}{4}(H_0^{(1)}(k|\vec r+\vec d|)-H_0^{(1)}(k|\vec r-\vec d|))$$ At least I hope so.
Now the second part. If I am not mistaken ##\vec v=-\nabla \Phi ##. The goal is to ##P=\int \vec j d\vec S## find ##\vec j=\rho \vec v=-\rho \nabla \Phi##.

Now I am not sure:
1. If so far everything is ok
2. I have to write ##\Phi## in cartesian coordinates in order to get ##\nabla \Phi##, don't I?

Physics news on Phys.org
3. Does the integral have to be done in polar coordinates (I think not)?4. If I should get back to the polar coordinates, is this the ##\vec j## i need?Thank you for your help!

1. What are sound waves frequency (Hankel functions)?

Sound waves frequency (Hankel functions) are a mathematical tool used to describe the behavior and characteristics of sound waves. They are a type of special function that can be used to express the complex waves of sound in terms of simpler components.

2. How do Hankel functions relate to sound waves?

Hankel functions are used to represent the solutions to the wave equation, which describes the propagation of sound waves. They are particularly useful for understanding the behavior of sound waves in cylindrical or spherical spaces, such as in a pipe or a spherical room.

3. Can Hankel functions be used to analyze any type of sound wave?

Yes, Hankel functions can be used to analyze any type of sound wave, as long as it can be represented as a complex wave. This includes both simple sounds, such as a pure tone, and more complex sounds, such as music or speech.

4. How are Hankel functions calculated?

Hankel functions are calculated using advanced mathematical techniques, such as the Laplace transform and the Cauchy integral formula. These calculations can be quite complex and are typically done using computer software.

5. What practical applications do Hankel functions have in the field of sound engineering?

Hankel functions are commonly used in sound engineering for tasks such as acoustic modeling, noise reduction, and signal processing. They can also be used to design and optimize acoustic systems, such as concert halls or audio equipment.