Water Propulsion Device - geometry configuratiton optimization problem

In summary: I will try to find a smaller water source to test with.In summary, the device will use firetruck/hydrant water pressure (~150 psi) and fire hose (5" diameter) to lift up a device in the air and into a burning room. The device will use the momentum of the water to lift the device into the air.
Lizik
Dear physicist,

I am designing a device that will use firetruck/hydrant water pressure (~150 psi) and fire hose (5" diameter) to lift up a device in the air and into a burning room. Please advice me and help understand how water flow, pressure and areas influence thrust. My goal is to input pressure and area of source -> math model -> output payload, thrust, max height achieved. I have the control over design of the exit flows and their configuration.

Here is the inspiration video:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=66e_1397564023

This is a 2D mathematical model that I have for payload calculations.
m_total = mass of hose + mass of water
m_total = x*cross sectional area*density + constant (hose weight per m)*(x^2+y^2)^1/2
where y is height and x is the horizontal distance the device needs to travel (~ 4m - from hydrant to the building which is standard street distance away)
Payload = g*m_total (750N or 170 lb for y = 12.2 m or 4 story)
The pump does work of lifting the water vertically but the device needs to carry water weight when it moves horizontally away from the source. x is a horizontal projection.

Now for the hard part:

For simplicity and for ease of control, a four valve/nozzle configuration is my choice. I attached a link to a picture to better describe it. --> http://imgur.com/qkK8C3e

Maybe its better to attach the source hose from the side instead of the bottom. It will make it difficult for manufacture and control so if its not very influential on thrust, then a bottom configuration would work better.

I've been using "Carried by impulse: The physics of water jetpacks"
written by Matthew Vonk and Peter Bohacek from Physics Today to estimate my thrust capabilities. I think I can use this formula to have 4 equal areas for exit. (thrust 215 lb). v = Q/A

Possible acceleration of the drone = F_net (Thrust - payload)/m_total = 2.62 m/s^2
(something is not right about this)

Pressure loss from height:
P source = density*g*hmax+P atm ---> hmax is where you lose all pressure. (95 m with 150 psi P source which doesn't seem right either) How does pressure influence the thrust?

I am not sure about my calculations. Please advice, I would really appreciate it. I will be testing a smaller design with a house water hose. I will provide pictures and data to who ever will help out.

Attachments

• Thrust Equation.pdf
    257.5 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Seems kind of wasteful and limited in usefulness. Why not just use a standard ladder truck?

Berkeman, I would like to calculate the actual numbers and possibilities. If you like to help me just for the though exercise, I would appreciate it.

Related to Water Propulsion Device - geometry configuratiton optimization problem

1. What is a water propulsion device?

A water propulsion device is a type of technology that utilizes the movement of water to generate thrust or forward motion. It can be used in various applications such as boats, submarines, and water sports equipment.

2. How does a water propulsion device work?

A water propulsion device works by taking in water from the front of the device and expelling it out the back at a high velocity. This creates a reaction force that propels the device forward.

3. What is the geometry configuration of a water propulsion device?

The geometry configuration of a water propulsion device refers to the shape, size, and arrangement of its components such as the intake, impeller, and nozzle. It is an important factor in determining the efficiency and performance of the device.

4. What is the optimization problem in water propulsion device geometry configuration?

The optimization problem in water propulsion device geometry configuration refers to the challenge of finding the most efficient and effective design that maximizes thrust and minimizes drag. This involves considering various factors such as fluid dynamics, material properties, and cost.

5. What are the benefits of optimizing the geometry configuration of a water propulsion device?

Optimizing the geometry configuration of a water propulsion device can result in improved performance, increased efficiency, and reduced energy consumption. It can also lead to cost savings and better overall design of the device.