Water Bottle Design Using Polynomials

In summary, the task at hand is to design a 600mL water bottle by drawing one side in a horizontal position. Three types of functions must be included, with the cross-sectional view centered around the x-axis and the y-axis representing the radius. The smooth transition between curves must be present, and the volume integral should equal 600. Suggestions for solving this problem include using polynomials, scaling and translating curves, and cubic splines. Desmos Graphing Calculator may also be a helpful tool in finding the appropriate functions for a smooth transition and a final volume of 600mL.
BigKevSebas

Homework Statement

[/B]
I am to design a 600mL water bottle by drawing one side (bottle lying horizontally). Three types of functions must be included (different orders). The cross-sectional view would be centred about the x-axis, and the y-axis would represent the radius of that particular section. There are meant to be no gaps and a "smooth transition between curves must be present.

Homework Equations

All they have given us is V=πr^2
and V=π∫y^2 dx.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I don't know even know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to need to do some trial and error with some polynomials. At the transition points, the function values and their derivatives must match to make the smoth transition. The volume integral should wind up equal 600. Remember that mL is the same as cm^3

Likes BigKevSebas
BigKevSebas said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
I am to design a 600mL water bottle by drawing one side (bottle lying horizontally). Three types of functions must be included (different orders)..

Different orders? Are you implying you must use only polynomials? Are you restricted to exactly ##3## functions or can you use more?

Likes BigKevSebas
Here's another suggestion, assuming you aren't stuck with polynomials. Even if you are, it might give you some idea how to approach the problem. Consider the figure below:
jug.jpg

Say each square is of side length ##h##. You can scale and translate a cosine curve to make the upper left smooth curve and a quarter circle to make the upper right curve. Once you have the equations of the upper half, calculate the volume of rotation. Then choose ##h## to make it come out ##600##. I'm thinking something like Maple would be very helpful. Good luck.

Likes BigKevSebas and scottdave
Half bottle functions.jpg

@LCKurtz Similar idea to yours .

Having one horizontal line segment makes the rest of the construction relatively easy .

I don't think there is any problem scaling the functions to get the correct volume .

Likes BigKevSebas
Heh heh. But I want my jug to be able to sit on the counter and hold my beer. :smile:

Likes BigKevSebas, scottdave and Nidum
Half bottle functions caraffe.jpg

Here you are - a flat bottom jug for you .

Likes BigKevSebas
Nidum said:
View attachment 208250

Here you are - a flat bottom jug for you .
I guess one could argue that the vertical line is not really need to be one of the 3 (there is no dx to integrate). As long as the derivative at that point matches a vertical line... And did they mean you must use exactly 3 functions, or at least 3?

Likes BigKevSebas
LCKurtz said:
Here's another suggestion, assuming you aren't stuck with polynomials. Even if you are, it might give you some idea how to approach the problem. Consider the figure below:
View attachment 208241
Say each square is of side length ##h##. You can scale and translate a cosine curve to make the upper left smooth curve and... Then choose ##h## to make it come out ##600##. I'm thinking something like Maple would be very helpful. Good luck.

Fun fact: So this is similar to the way they create font characters (without the rotation to calculate volume). Each character is defined by some functions, but related to some scale factor, such that it can be scaled to any size from microscopic to billboard size, and still look the same, without any jagged edges. I searched for a reference link to add in, but every search I tried doing came up with fonts that represent mathematical symbols.

Last edited:
Likes BigKevSebas
LCKurtz said:
Probably the most natural way to do such problems is to use cubic splines. Lots of info on the internet if you're interested. Just Google it if you want more info. One link, as an example, is:
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~baker/149.1.02w/handouts/dd_splines.pdf
Thanks for the cubic splines article. That was interesting.

Likes BigKevSebas
Well I think Desmos Graphing Calculator would be your friend in this case. For the smooth transitions just make sure that the derivatives of the two interchanging functions are the same. You could just transition at the extrema and or horizontal points of the different functions. As for the 600ml part I guess you could come up with the functions first and then cut off the last function when the total volume intergral equals 600ml or whatever. I am interested to see what you come up with and I think I will try this problem myself.

Likes scottdave and BigKevSebas
Thankyou for the help. Helped me complete the task.

Likes scottdave

Related to Water Bottle Design Using Polynomials

1. What are polynomials and how are they related to water bottle design?

Polynomials are mathematical expressions that involve variables, coefficients, and exponents. They are commonly used in water bottle design to create mathematical models that can accurately predict the shape and size of a bottle.

2. How do polynomials affect the functionality of a water bottle?

The coefficients and exponents in a polynomial equation determine the curvature and volume of a water bottle. By manipulating these variables, designers can create bottles with specific capacities and shapes to meet the needs of consumers.

3. Can polynomials be used to optimize the design of water bottles?

Yes, polynomials can be used to optimize the design of water bottles by finding the best combination of variables to achieve a desired shape or capacity. This can help reduce material waste and improve the overall efficiency of the manufacturing process.

4. Are there any limitations to using polynomials in water bottle design?

Although polynomials are a useful tool in water bottle design, they have their limitations. They are only accurate for simple bottle shapes and may not be able to accurately predict the behavior of more complex designs.

5. How do engineers use polynomials in the manufacturing process of water bottles?

Engineers use polynomials to create computer-aided design (CAD) models of water bottles, which are then used to create molds for manufacturing. By inputting the desired dimensions and specifications into the polynomial equation, engineers can create precise and accurate models for production.