Water/Air Rocket Homework: Exit Velocity & Thrust vs Time

• Thread starter GreenLRan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary, the user is trying to determine the exit velocity and thrust of a water rocket as a function of time. They have calculated the initial velocity and exit area, but are unsure about the exponential term in their equation. They may need to use additional equations, such as the ideal gas law and conservation of momentum, to accurately calculate the exit velocity and thrust.
GreenLRan

Homework Statement

I am trying to determine the exit velocity and thrust of a water rocket as a function of time. The total rocket volume is .002m^3 (2 liter coke bottle) and 1kg of water and air initially at .35MPa. Therefore the initial volume of water is .001m^3 and the volume of air is .001m^3 as well.

T = 298K
Vol_tot = Vol_water + Vol_air (only unknown is M_air where Vol_air = M_air*R_air*T/(P_air))

therefore Vol_water = .001m^3 = Vol_air

I have calculated the initial velocity and exit area to be 22.36m/s and 2.38E-5 m^2 respectively.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming isentropic expansion of air.

I started by using the Bernouilli equation Po = Pe + 1/2 * rho_water * Ue^2 (where Po is the total air pressure, Pe is assumed to be equal to the ambient air pressure (constant .1MPa)). The Po will change as a function of time, as will the exit velocity (Ue).

I started by trying Po(t) = Mair*Rair*T/(Vol_air(t)) = Pe + 1/2 * rho_water*Ue^2

where Vol_air(t) = Vol_tot - Vol_water(t)

and Vol_water(t) = Vol_water_initial - dVol_water(t)

and dVol_water(t) = dm(t)/rho_water = mdot*dt/rho_water = Ue*Ae*dt

Po(t) = Mair*Rair*T/(Vol_tot - (Vol_water_initial + (U_final*t_final - V_initial*t_initial)*Ae))
= Pe + 1/2*rho_water *V_initial^2

I solved this equation for V_final and used MATLAB to get a Velocity vs Time graph and I can tell it's wrong. It seems that there should be an exponential term in there somewhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

( I was thinking about doing dPo/dt = d (const/Vol)/dt, however I'm unsure about the volume/time relationship)

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your question and progress so far. It seems like you have a good understanding of the variables involved and have made some good attempts at solving the problem. However, there are a few things that may help you in your calculations.

Firstly, when using the Bernoulli equation, it is important to note that it is only valid for steady-state flow, which means that the conditions at the inlet and outlet of the rocket must remain constant throughout the flight. This may not be the case for your water rocket, as the water will be expelled and the air pressure will decrease as the rocket accelerates.

Secondly, the volume of air in the rocket will change as the water is expelled and the rocket accelerates. This means that the initial volume of air you have calculated may not be accurate throughout the flight. You may need to use a differential equation to account for the changing volume of air over time.

Lastly, in order to determine the exit velocity and thrust of the water rocket, you may need to use some additional equations, such as the ideal gas law and conservation of momentum. These equations can help you relate the pressure and volume of the air to the thrust generated by the rocket.

I hope these suggestions help you in your calculations. Good luck with your project!

Thank you for providing such detailed information about your homework problem. I can understand your thought process and the equations you have used. However, it is important to note that there are many factors that can affect the exit velocity and thrust of a water rocket, such as air resistance, water evaporation, and the design of the rocket itself.

In order to accurately calculate the exit velocity and thrust of a water rocket, it is important to consider all of these factors and use a more comprehensive model. You may want to consider using a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software or conducting experiments to gather data and validate your calculations.

Additionally, it would be helpful to clearly define your assumptions and any simplifications you have made in your calculations. This will help you and others to better understand the results and any potential errors.

Overall, it seems like you have a solid understanding of the concepts involved in calculating the exit velocity and thrust of a water rocket. Keep exploring and refining your model, and don't hesitate to seek assistance from your peers or instructors if needed. Good luck with your homework!

Related to Water/Air Rocket Homework: Exit Velocity & Thrust vs Time

1. How do you calculate exit velocity for a water/air rocket?

Exit velocity can be calculated using the equation V = √(2*(P2-P1)/ρ), where V is the exit velocity, P2 is the pressure inside the rocket, P1 is the atmospheric pressure, and ρ is the density of the fluid (water or air) used in the rocket.

2. How does the exit velocity affect the performance of a water/air rocket?

The exit velocity is directly proportional to the thrust produced by the rocket. This means that a higher exit velocity will result in a greater thrust, leading to a higher altitude and longer flight time for the rocket.

3. What is the relationship between thrust and time for a water/air rocket?

The thrust of a water/air rocket will decrease over time as the pressure inside the rocket decreases. This is because the rocket is expelling its propellant (water or air) and has a decreasing mass. The thrust will eventually reach zero when all of the propellant is expelled.

4. How can you increase the thrust of a water/air rocket?

There are a few ways to increase the thrust of a water/air rocket. One way is to increase the pressure inside the rocket by using a larger volume of propellant or using a more powerful launching mechanism. Another way is to reduce the weight of the rocket, which will allow for a greater acceleration and increase in exit velocity.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculations for exit velocity and thrust vs time for a water/air rocket?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of these calculations include air resistance, wind, and variations in the launching mechanism. Additionally, variations in the construction of the rocket, such as small leaks or uneven weight distribution, can also impact the accuracy of the calculations.