Horizontal water rocket thrust calculations - HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of thrust needed to accelerate a 90kg body at a rate of 2 m/s2 for 1 second using water bottle rocket jets. The participants suggest using the formula F=MA to calculate the necessary force and discuss the use of pressurized air and different angles to achieve thrust. They also recommend researching publications by Robert Truax and experimenting with different nozzle sizes and pressures to achieve the desired thrust. The use of additives and varying amounts of water is also mentioned as factors that can affect the rocket's performance.
markmywords
Horizontal water rocket thrust calculations - HELP!

Hi All,

I want to accelerate a 90kg body at a rate of 2 m/s2 for a period of 1 second using thrust developed from a number of water bottle rocket jets. Based on the drag coeff calculated I believe I need to develop 190N of force.

A water bottle rocket uses a quantity of water as the working fluid which is propelled through a nozzle by a volume of pressurized air.

Where do I begin? Ideally I would like to use 3 or 4 separate rockets. How do I calculate the pressures, nozzle sizes, water volume, vessel volume/sizes required?

I have taken a look at http://www.sciencebits.com/RocketEqs but afraid my physics a bit rusty. Need some help negotiating these equations!

Many thanks

markmywords

Physics news on Phys.org

im not sure, if you use F=MA, then the force you need is the acceleration that you want 90 times 2m/s, this should give you the force that you need to apply to the rocket to get a 90KG rocket to fly at 2m/s.

markmywords said:
A water bottle rocket uses a quantity of water as the working fluid which is propelled through a nozzle by a volume of pressurized air.
Have you tried this in the horizontal?

No I haven't tried a horizontal bottle rocket but if it develops thrust and I can achieve a reactionary force (pushing against something) then I see no reason why it won't work.

Thinking about angling the jets downwards to achieve backward thrust (forward movement) - so my force required needs to be recalculated taking into account the vector??

markmywords said:
No I haven't tried a horizontal bottle rocket but if it develops thrust and I can achieve a reactionary force (pushing against something) then I see no reason why it won't work.

Thinking about angling the jets downwards to achieve backward thrust (forward movement) - so my force required needs to be recalculated taking into account the vector??

With normal bottles you will definitely have to angle them down. Otherwise much of the water will stay in the bottle. But you could keep the bottles vertical, and attach a 90° bent pipe to them.

AT, yes realize that I need to configure the vessel so that compressed air forces out all the water and a 90deg bend good idea. I need to work out what pressure, nozzle size, volumes required?

markmywords said:
AT, yes realize that I need to configure the vessel so that compressed air forces out all the water and a 90deg bend good idea. I need to work out what pressure, nozzle size, volumes required?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Truax

I bought a few book from this man before he died, if you search for his publications, you can get a wealth of information from his books. They pertain to steam (hot water rockets) but the information might help you in some way.
If you have trouble finding anything, let me know and I will find the publication numbers.

Ron

Check out the second page of this PDF, I have nothing to do with the creation of it.

It contains some relavent equations for the burn time and escape velocity of water from the nozzle. I would suggest creating an excel spreadsheet or using MATLAB to experiment with different nozzle sizes and bottle pressures to provide the thrust that you need.

Note also that the thrust depends upon the mass of the fluid exiting, some people add soap or foaming additives to the solution to give more thrust.

You may also want to simulate the effects of using different amounts of water. Here's the link, good luck.

http://sophclinic.pbworks.com/f/rocket_equations.pdf

Related to Horizontal water rocket thrust calculations - HELP

1. How is the thrust of a horizontal water rocket calculated?

The thrust of a horizontal water rocket can be calculated using the following formula: thrust = mass of water expelled x acceleration due to gravity x launch tube angle. This takes into account the amount of water expelled, the force of gravity, and the angle at which the rocket is launched.

2. What units are used to measure thrust in horizontal water rockets?

Thrust in horizontal water rockets is typically measured in Newtons (N), which is a unit of force. It can also be measured in pounds (lb) or kilograms (kg).

3. How does the launch angle affect the thrust of a horizontal water rocket?

The launch angle of a horizontal water rocket can greatly affect its thrust. A higher launch angle will result in a greater force of gravity acting on the rocket, increasing the thrust. However, if the angle is too high, it may cause the rocket to lose stability and deviate from its intended path.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the thrust of a horizontal water rocket?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the thrust of a horizontal water rocket. These include the design and construction of the rocket, the nozzle size and shape, and any external forces such as wind resistance. The amount of water and air pressure used can also impact the thrust.

5. Can computer simulations be used to calculate horizontal water rocket thrust?

Yes, computer simulations can be a useful tool for calculating the thrust of a horizontal water rocket. These simulations take into account various factors such as launch angle, water and air pressure, and design features to provide an accurate estimate of the rocket's thrust. However, it is still important to test and adjust the rocket in real-world conditions for the most accurate results.