Calculate Thrust of Rocket: Homework Statement

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a rocket's initial mass, fuel consumption rate, and velocity calculation. The equations used include Newton's second law and mass and velocity with respect to time. The main question asks for the thrust of the rocket, the time until it runs out of fuel, and its velocity at that point. The main issue is understanding how to incorporate time into the thrust calculation.
hk4491

Homework Statement

A rocket has an initial mass of m0 = 30,000 Kg, from which 80% is fuel. The fuel is being burned at a rate of R = 200 kg/s and the gas is expelled with a velocity of vrel = 1.8 km/s. The velocity of the rocket is calculated by:

v = vrel* ln [itex]\frac{m0}{m0 - Rt}[/itex] - gt

Calculate:

(a) The thrust of the rocket

(b) The time until the rocket runs out of fuel

(c) The velocity of the rocket when the rocket runs out of fuel, under the condition that the rocket is always traveling perpendicullarly, and the g is always constant. Air resistance is negligble.

Hint: How does Newton's second law look like with a change of mass with respect to time?

Homework Equations

F = m * a

a = [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dm}{dt}[/itex] = m0 - Rt

The Attempt at a Solution

After diffrentiating the given equation for velocity I got:

a = vrel [itex]\frac{R}{m0 - Rt}[/itex] - g

and the mass relative to time is:

m(t) = m0 - Rt

from this I got:

F = ma = R - gm0 + gRt

This is where I got stuck. The question doesn't seem to ask for the thrust at a specific moment in time, yet the equation for force I got at the end still takes time into account. Did I do something wrong during differentiation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question asked for the thrust, and you're giving it the thrust!
So there is no problem.

EDIT:There is one problem though:

[itex]F=v_{rel}R-gm_0+gRt[/itex]

Likes 1 person
hk4491 said:
from this I got:

F = ma = R - gm0 + gRt

This is where I got stuck. The question doesn't seem to ask for the thrust at a specific moment in time, yet the equation for force I got at the end still takes time into account. Did I do something wrong during differentiation?
You did something in multiplying m*a. Look at the units. *Always* look at the units. Your R has units of kg/s. The other two terms in ##R-gm_0+gRt## have units of kg·m/s2, or Newtons. You can't add a kg/s to a Newton. That you obtained these mixed up units means you made a mistake.

Related to Calculate Thrust of Rocket: Homework Statement

1. What is the formula for calculating the thrust of a rocket?

The formula for calculating the thrust of a rocket is F = m x a, where F is the thrust force, m is the mass of the propellant being ejected per second, and a is the acceleration of the ejected propellant.

2. How do you find the mass of the propellant being ejected per second?

To find the mass of the propellant being ejected per second, you can use the formula m_dot = T / v_e, where m_dot is the mass flow rate, T is the thrust force, and v_e is the exhaust velocity of the propellant.

3. What is the unit of measurement for thrust?

The unit of measurement for thrust is Newtons (N), which is equal to the force required to accelerate 1 kilogram of mass at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

4. How does the angle of the rocket affect the calculation of thrust?

The angle of the rocket does not affect the calculation of thrust, as long as the thrust force is directed along the axis of the rocket's motion. If the thrust force is directed at an angle, then only the component of the force in the direction of motion will contribute to the thrust.

5. Can the thrust of a rocket change during flight?

Yes, the thrust of a rocket can change during flight. As the mass of the rocket decreases due to the consumption of propellant, the mass flow rate and exhaust velocity will also change, resulting in a change in the thrust force. Additionally, if the rocket has multiple stages, the thrust force may change when a stage is dropped or ignited.