Was Steve Jobs' Death Overshadowed by Silence on Ritchie's Passing?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary: Reality check - no one is immortal.In summary, Apple's founder and mastermind, Steve Jobs, passed away due to pancreatic cancer at the age of 56. Jobs was well-known for his work as the founder of Apple and as the CEO of Pixar. His contributions to technology and the world will never be forgotten, and his death is a sad reminder of the power of cancer.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Only 56 years old.

http://www.apple.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. End of an era!

Rest in peace, mister Jobs... :frown:

He put up quite a good fight, but pancreatic cancer is a tough one :frown:.

It's sad but no surprise.

I was joking this morning about how apple will die once Steve Jobs is dead referring to lack of excitement in their recent product launch. kinda of ironic ...

Wow... unbelievable.

Wow, just heard and LisaB beat me to it by fifteen minutes, so sad, I am glad I wasn't the one to break the news, my wife heard it through FacePlant and I just checked the news. Pancreatic cancer really really sucks, my prayers are with his wife, Laurene, their four children and his close friends.

Rhody...

Wow! I imagine the doctors told him that he had a month or two to live, hence the rapid succession 6 weeks ago.

RIP, SJ

His contributions to this world will not be forgotten! It is sad to see such an amazing mind go away! Rest in peace Steve Jobs.

My fault.

I was just about to go out and buy a Mac.

Insanely bad news.

I'm surprised that so many people are surprised by his death since it was well known that he had been battling cancer and was reported to have been losing the battle. When he named his successor, it was bad news.

Evo said:
I'm surprised that so many people are surprised by his death since it was well known that he had been battling cancer and was reported to have been losing the battle. When he named his successor, it was bad news.
I don't keep up with these things. I just recently heard the Apple II is out.

Evo said:

I never knew this :frown:

i'm not surprised at all. there's a photo circulating of him looking like a concentration camp victim with a guy helping him stand. i guess some people may have an idea that if you're rich enough, you can buy whatever medical assistance you need to keep going. but unfortunately, we're just nowhere near that advanced yet.

It's no surprise, but still hit me like a ton of bricks! The tech world (and entire world) will surely miss Steve! I hope someone starts a cancer foundation in his name.

Not only was Steve Jobs a key component in the founding of Apple but also Pixar. Both Pixar and Apple have had such acts of brilliance in the last decade that will never be forgotten. He was a genius who will live on in this generation and the next.

Evo said:
The whole time I thought he was winning with it like Armstrong.

Evo said:
It's sad but no surprise.

Why? He is 56...

Very sad - RIP Steve.

I still have my Mac SE in storage - runs great - wish I'd kept my NeXT "laptop".

flyingpig said:
Why? He is 56...
Because he had terminal cancer.

flyingpig said:
Why? He is 56...

Because he had pancreatic cancer, one of the most lethal varieties of cancer.
About 80% of people with this kind of cancer die.

Rest in peace, Steve Jobs.

Man I can't imagine life without the things he invented.

Yeah, I knew that his love for Apple would never let him relinquish the reins unless he knew he wouldn't be back, so when the announcement came that he was out of there, I was afraid the end was near for him.

Very sad indeed for such a great talent to go so young.

I've always felt that through the years Bill Gates was all about how much money he could make (and was brilliant at it) and Jobs was all about what outstanding products he could create (and was brilliant at it).

I was enormously happy when Apple surpassed Microsoft in money making, to go along with the fact that it had always been miles ahead in its products.

Cheers Steve, you had a hell of a run ...

RIP Mr. Jobs.

Jimmy Snyder said:

I know this probably somewhat inhumane of me but I couldn't help lol-ing at that comment.

Jimmy Snyder said:

Wow, you just gave the phrases "living under a rock" and "living in a cave" a whole new meaning! :smile:

moonman239 said:
Wow, you just gave the phrases "living under a rock" and "living in a cave" a whole new meaning! :smile:

Jimmy lives under a rock inside a cave.

Seriously, though, I heard the news earlier. Poor guy.

My favorite picture of him.
http://www.librarising.com/astrology/celebs/images2/S/stevejobs.jpg

Sad. I've always been a fan of Jobs. Strangely, I've never owned one of his products.

Interestingly, his success can be attributed in part to the Oregon community college system.

Following high school graduation in 1972, Jobs enrolled at Reed College in Portland, Oregon. Although he dropped out after only one semester,[41] he continued auditing classes at Reed, while sleeping on the floor in friends' rooms, returning Coke bottles for food money, and getting weekly free meals at the local Hare Krishna temple.[16] Jobs later said, "If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts."[16]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs