Warning about frying new potatoes in hot oil

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot Oil
In summary, tinned new potatoes should not be fried as they have a tendency to explode due to steam build-up within the potatoes. It is advised to either poke holes in the potatoes before frying or cook them in the microwave beforehand. Deep frying is not recommended, but they can be cooked in a wok with other ingredients for a tasty alternative. The Food Network has been criticized for promoting unhealthy and bizarre fried recipes such as deep-fried macaroni and cheese and deep-fried candy bars. Some have even suggested genetically engineered potatoes that act like popcorn.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Tined new potatoes do not attempt to fry them, they explode, i have just finished cleaning
all the cooking oil of the walls ceiling etc, all i did was pour the potatoes into hot fat and
within minutes they started exploding, i saw one jump 6 inches into the air, i could not get near the pan because of the hot oil being exploded out, i had to get a coat and put it over me and turn the cooker off at the wall socket, heck knows what would of happened if i had a gas cooker, hmpfff cheese sarnie for dinner, bloody spuds.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you fry them whole? Steam builds up within the potatoes which is why you need to stab holes into them to allow for the release of steam.

If they were cut up, there might have been too much moisture and too many for the fryer at once?

That's very interesting. Your fire may be too hot. For the next time, cook the patatoes for a few (5-10) minutes first, or alternately use the microwave to heat them up before frying. It soften them up and the water vapor can escape instead of piling to explode eventually. Deep frying is not the best option. But you can use the wok and bake them together with bacon, onions, peppers and when almost done, cover the mass with cheese crumbs (parmesan for instance) on a soft fire until it's all molten. If you succeed to do that safely, you will return there many times.

In fact, that's what I'm about to do. caution with the microwave, not longer than 1 - 1.5 minute at the time and judge the temp in between.

I didn't realize that cooking was that hazardous.

Last edited:
wolram said:
within minutes they started exploding.

\\:smile:

Andre said:
I didn't realize that cooking was that hazardous.
You haven't known Wolram very long... putting boots on is hazardous...

Can you imagine Wolram and I together under the same roof? :bugeye:

Evo said:
Can you imagine Wolram and I together under the same roof? :bugeye:

Yes. But you'd both be in padded cells for your own good. I hear they do good bread and water in such places. :wink::-p

Evo said:
Did you fry them whole? Steam builds up within the potatoes which is why you need to stab holes into them to allow for the release of steam.

If they were cut up, there might have been too much moisture and too many for the fryer at once?

Yes i cut the bigger ones, they were the worst ,exploding and jumping inches out of the pan, just when i though it was all over another one would explode, i have never seen any thing like it.

Kurdt said:
Yes. But you'd both be in padded cells for your own good. I hear they do good bread and water in such places. :wink::-p

Hey that is no fair, who would ever think a potato could explode?

I think maybe it was the water in the canned potatos reacting to the hot oil. Canned foods suck up a fair amount of H2O.

wolram said:
Hey that is no fair, who would ever think a potato could explode?

I don't know but it would be a classy way for bond to escape in a film. Potato in the microwave or tinned ones on the cooker waiting to go off and hinder the bad guys.

I saw the most disgusting recipe on the Food Network yesterday. You cut squares out of cold congealed macaroni and cheese, wrap it in raw bacon, dredge it in flour, then in beaten egg, then in crackers crumbs, then deep fry it. Talk about an artery clogging catastrophe.

I've noticed fried macaroni and cheese in the grocery store, along with deep fried wads of corn and deep fried wads of brocolli and cheese, and deep fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

What is going on?

I have just read the small print on the tin, it say, not suitable for microwaving or frying, how daft is that, who reads all the print on tins before use?

Evo said:
I saw the most disgusting recipe on the Food Network yesterday. You cut squares out of cold congealed macaroni and cheese, wrap it in raw bacon, dredge it in flour, then in beaten egg, then in crackers crumbs, then deep fry it. Talk about an artery clogging catastrophe.

I've noticed fried macaroni and cheese in the grocery store, along with deep fried wads of corn and deep fried wads of brocolli and cheese, and deep fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

What is going on?

they deep fry Mars Bars and Snicker bars over here, the only thing i like battered and deep fried is fish.

Andre said:
But you can use the wok and bake them together with bacon, onions, peppers and when almost done, cover the mass with cheese crumbs (parmesan for instance) on a soft fire until it's all molten. If you succeed to do that safely, you will return there many times.

Great idea Andre, i do not have bacon so i am using corned beef.

Evo said:
That network has got to be the most useless source of "recipes" around. I'm surprised they didn't bread the mess in Hamburger Helper.

turbo-1 said:
That network has got to be the most useless source of "recipes" around. I'm surprised they didn't bread the mess in Hamburger Helper.
Oh no, deep fried Hamburger Helper, that's next.

Woolie, check that tin again. I think that you accidentally bought the genetically engineered potato/popcorn hybrids. They're supposed to be labelled.

Evo said:

Which show was THAT on? That's horrible sounding.

Haven't seen most of those, but tried the broccoli and cheese bite things. Thought they might be a good appetizer (they were breaded and bake in the oven, not actually deep fried, so not sure if it's exactly the same as you meant). I've been served broccoli and cheese type appetizers before. These were not very good though. They had an odd taste that I think came from the breading, so I tossed the rest of them. Of course, these things are being served in the vegetable aisle, not with the frozen appetizers, which means there are people cooking up a package of those and eating them as their vegetables and wondering why they're still fat even though they're eating broccoli. As a pass around appetizer, the idea isn't so bad, because you'd only eat one or two per person and it would only be a once in a while on a special occasion type food, but as a regular vegetable...

Danger said:
Woolie, check that tin again. I think that you accidentally bought the genetically engineered potato/popcorn hybrids. They're supposed to be labelled.

:smile:

Evo said:
Oh no, deep fried Hamburger Helper, that's next.

Have you ever been to Scotland? Those people will deep fry ANYTHING.

Moonbear said:
Which show was THAT on? That's horrible sounding.
Paula Deen, yawl.

The recipe

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_37552,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Paula Deen, yawl.

The recipe

That's disgusting! She'd probably deep fry chocolate pudding if she could find a way.

Danger said:

LOL, The universe is obviously against me, i think i should have been born 200/300 years ago, and the U is racked of because i am in the here and now.

What were you doing with canned potatoes?

Evo said:
Paula Deen, yawl.

The recipe

Oh, figures. Can we add her to the talentless people on Food Network category?

The Barefoot Contessa is another one. I saw a show yesterday or the day before where she was making a big deal of having French toast for dessert...it was just ordinary French toast that she dipped one side in toasted almonds before frying it. Did you know she used to be a science advisor on nuclear policy for the White House? She never learned to cook, she just threw a lot of parties and opened a store in the Hamptons, where of course if you look snooty enough, you can sell anything for a fortune. They had all this on one of those shows that gives the bios of the Food Network cooks this weekend.

Evo said:
What were you doing with canned potatoes?

WEEELL, they were 5p a can at the supermarket so i bought 10 cans, i found a use for the soya, i put it in a tray and put my potted herbs in it, it acts like a sponge to water them.

Heh, and Susan Lee, that woman that does the "Almost homemade" show you mentioned were you throw a sprig of parsley onto a can of Chef Boy Ar Dee ravioli so everyone thinks you could actually make something that tasted bland & canned from scratch.

She was almost in tears saying that she couldn't believe people criticized her show, she said "criticizing my cooking is criticizing every housewife in America". Uhm, no, just the ones that can't cook that follow your advice.

Evo said:
Heh, and Susan Lee, that woman that does the "Almost homemade" show you mentioned were you throw a sprig of parsley onto a can of Chef Boy Ar Dee ravioli so everyone thinks you could actually make something that tasted bland & canned from scratch.

She was almost in tears saying that she couldn't believe people criticized her show, she said "criticizing my cooking is criticizing every housewife in America". Uhm, no, just the ones that can't cook that follow your advice.
Another pathetic loon of the Rachael Ray ilk. Bless my mother and my grandmother for their guidance and example. When my wife and I first met, she was an OK cook, but although I have learned over the years, she has since out-classed me in many respects as a cook. I've still got the upper hand with sauces, grilling, smoking, pickling, etc, but she has beat me out in bread-making, soups, spaghetti, chile con carne, biscuits...even making baked beans (horrors!). I have ceded some of these to her and some we do collectively, but we each have our own "specialties" that are one-person projects.

I'd love to get some of these Food Network "experts" in a cook-off with me and my wife in a kitchen stocked with normal foods. You know - vegetables, meat, fish, dried legumes, pasta, etc with a good variety of spices. We're just ordinary people and we're not chefs, professional cooks, etc, but we take cooking seriously. Anybody who takes an interest in good food and is willing to spend the energy and time to learn basic techniques for preparing foods while preserving desirable qualities (color, texture, taste) and minimizing undesirable qualities can become a great cook. Not a good cook, pumping out food in a restaurant, but a GREAT cook, serving up meals that cannot be bought in any restaurant anywhere.

Evo said:

Yeah, I saw that. My thinking went in a different direction...if everyone already knows how to cook that crap, why do they need to watch a show about it? I think even tribdog could follow the instructions on a can of Chef Boyardee, and he couldn't even serve soda without nearly burning the house down!

I can't say that I've ever exploded potatoes before, but I will surely keep that in mind.

What I have done is blown up hard-boiled eggs by putting them on to cook and then forgetting about them. Evidently, once they run out of water and then reach some critical temperature, they explode. Mightily. I mean bits of white and yolk hit the ceiling, nearby cupboards, whole eggs leap from the pot. It's rather impressive, actually, but frightening, too, when you're a couple of rooms over and hear strange sounds coming from the other end of the apartment.

GeorginaS said:
It's rather impressive, actually
If you think that that's impressive, try making grenade soup.

I think GeorginaS hen grenade is the ultimate biological weapon.

wolram said:
I think GeorginaS hen grenade is the ultimate biological weapon.
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Hen grenade! Hee! :biggrin: